Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 04-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb ISB @ Penn State..

Who here is going to the ISB this June? I have never been to one and am thinking of going. I don't have a booth but might get a table unless they are sold out. In that case I will be allowed only 3 Basses.

I was thinking the best 3 to bring would be the Hart, Martini and Candi. The big Gamba is not as something for everyone size-wise and I am still working on the neck heel and depth myself. It also needs an Extension so regardless, I don't think it will be ready for June.

So, who is going and.. if I go and have a table, which 3 of my Basses should I bring? Batchelder maybe and drop the Martini? (Hart, Candi, Batchelder?)
Old 04-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Junior Posting Member

Robert Kramer is on a distinguished road
Cool Batchelder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Who here is going to the ISB this June? I have never been to one and am thinking of going. I don't have a booth but might get a table unless they are sold out. In that case I will be allowed only 3 Basses.

I was thinking the best 3 to bring would be the Hart, Martini and Candi. The big Gamba is not as something for everyone size-wise and I am still working on the neck heel and depth myself. It also needs an Extension so regardless, I don't think it will be ready for June.

So, who is going and.. if I go and have a table, which 3 of my Basses should I bring? Batchelder maybe and drop the Martini? (Hart, Candi, Batchelder?)
Hart, Candi, and Batchelder. That's a fine trio for diversity.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Junior Posting Member

Aren Winebrenner is on a distinguished road

I would love to go. I just don't have my wife talked into letting me take off.....yet
Old 04-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aren Winebrenner View Post
I would love to go. I just don't have my wife talked into letting me take off.....yet
Takes years! I won't be going either.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

I should be there (I hope) with Don Gorman and my bass.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
which 3 of my Basses should I bring? Batchelder maybe and drop the Martini? (Hart, Candi, Batchelder?)
if your goal is to sell a bass:

i would bring the batchelder, because it´s imho a bass that will not sell very easy if the potential buyers have no first hand experience with it.
what i want to say is (please excuse my bad english): when i played the bass i was very surprised from it´s qualities (sound and playabilitywise) which i did not expect knowing it only from pictures before.

the more people actually play it, the more is the possibility that it finds a buyer

your other basses will sell by itself.

(all this said in consideration that the batchelder is the only bass from you that i played...)
Old 04-13-2009, 02:05 AM
Posting Member

Abe Gumroyan is on a distinguished road

I would drop the Candi, with all do respect. You would have 3 levels of instruments Batchelder, Martini, & Hart. Good, Amazing, & One of the finest English instruments on the market. All jokes aside, I think if you brought those 3 instruments it would show a nice selection of instruments in terms of price and quality.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Posting Member

Brian Glassman is on a distinguished road

I'm considering going as well. The convention hasn't been this close to the NY/NJ area in a long while. however, June is never a great month to sneak away from gigs and not to mention the wife & kids.

Ken, what about the Gilkes?
Old 04-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Gilkes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Glassman View Post
I'm considering going as well. The convention hasn't been this close to the NY/NJ area in a long while. however, June is never a great month to sneak away from gigs and not to mention the wife & kids.

Ken, what about the Gilkes?
The Gilkes is not available at the moment. That's all I can say for now.

On the dropping the Candi theory, I would suggest you come over and play the Candi next to the Martini and then tell me if you still feel the same. If I could bring 6 Basses, I would bring them all. For now, I don't even have a table purchased to display them nor am I even registered. Also, my car might not fit 3 Basses in it. So, let's see what happens over the next few days as far as the arrangements for my possible attendance.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up Ok..

We are in.. ( I think.. lol).

Since the regular rooms and tables were sold out, the ISB was able to get a classroom or two by the stage where the performances are being held in the next building or the music school.

I will have several fine basses in various ranges as well as my Bow collection. I will also bring my Stock of KSB Bows and sell them at a special price right off the show floor.

I might have a few other goodies as well but I am just now filling out the forms and starting to make my plans for travel and set-up.

Requests?

Questions?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb PS..

Members, those of you that also post on TalkBass if you can, please mention to the members there that I will be there with a good selection of Basses and Bows from my collection.

I will not be bringing any of the student grade basses there as I am sure there will be plenty of the Chinese grade stuff already.

I am bringing my available restored Italian and English Basses and the Batchelder.

If a bass I have is in repair or waiting to go into repair/restoration, then I will leave that home.

I do not want to show any 'as-is' Basses, just the ones ready to fly.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up ok..

I just booked my Hotel for the week so it looks like I will be there from the beginning till the end.

As far as the Forum here goes, I will not be bringing a computer with me so the world will just have to wait until I return. Play nice while I am away..
Old 04-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I just booked my Hotel for the week so it looks like I will be there from the beginning till the end.
good luck!
Quote:
As far as the Forum here goes, I will not be bringing a computer with me so the world will just have to wait until I return. Play nice while I am away..
i will keep an eye on richard
Old 04-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool An eye.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke View Post
good luck!

i will keep an eye on richard
I'll keep an eye on Anselm

Old 05-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb ISB Booth # info..

We will be in Room 117, near the Esber Recital Hall in the School of Music Building, sharing the large Room 117 with one, perhaps two other vendors.

This is not where most of the other exhibits are but it's near the Recital Stage area in an adjacent building. Maybe we will be able to use the Stage to demo Basses, who knows?

The line-up at this time is;
Samuel Gilkes, London 1814
John Thomas Hart, London c.1830
Attr. English Gamba, c.1780
Oreste Martini, Mantova 1919
Oreste Candi, Genoa 1936
Peter Hamilton-Box, Kent 2008

We will also show a collection of fine French model Bass bows as well as our affordable KSB Bows in French (stamped C.Loveri) and German (stamped B.Fendt).
Old 05-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Bows at the ISB..

I started this Thread about coming to the ISB a few weeks back but since then something has happened on the Bow end of things.

I advertised that I will have Bows by Sue Lipkins as well as others but the two Lipkins Bows I had have since been sold. On the Lipkins make, to ease any sorrow about not having them I will bring my Lipkins Sartory model so at least I have one to show.

Also, about a week ago I get a call from a dealer friend of mine who mentioned he couldn't make the Show and asked if I could use some extra Bows at the Booth to show? I said maybe, what kind of Bows? he replied, Bazin, Fetique, Pfretzschner etc.. My eyes lit up.

Today I received two boxes with a total of 17 Bows in them. I have a Lotte and Ouchard in the pack as well as several beautiful high end German Bows. One is a gold mounted Snakewood Bow by Jan Krusig? Don't know him but the bow is beautiful with the screw in Snakewood to match. In total I recieved 9 French Bows and 7 German Bows. The lowest priced bow in the pack is an English maker who went to study in Italy and made this Bow in Verona, priced to move at only $2400. The only living maker in the French bows is G.Lucchi. All the rest are oldies..

I also have two beautiful bows in German style stamped G.Werner. Anyone know who or what that is?

Anyway, I will have these plus a bunch of my own collection as well as all of the KSB Bows I have in stock in the higher grade French and German models so if you are Bow shopping, come by and see me before you make any decisions about a new Bow.

All in all, I have Bows from $120 (low end German) on up to $11k in classic pedigree French.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

I found a New Zealand site selling a "Dörfler, stamped G. Werner" for NZ$730. Eventually I found http://www.vivaceviolin.com/pp/Bows/.../VlnBw406.html which seems to further indicate that G. Werner is student grade bows made by Dörfler. On their website, I found no information on the stamping of their beginner/student level models, though...
G. Werner bows seems to sell for USD150-500.

On Krusig I have nothing. Can't find anything online, no matter which of the German words for bow or bow maker I use in association with his name.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Senior Posting Member

Ken, good luck.
Just a little thing though, I noticed you've been doing a little bit of episodic posting on this thread. Please keep multiple posting for the bull pit, where it belongs.
Oh, and I'll keep an eye on Tim while you're away.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Larsson View Post
I found a New Zealand site selling a "Dörfler, stamped G. Werner" for NZ$730.
Where? Down here (NZ)? What city?
Old 05-31-2009, 01:43 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Larsson View Post
I found a New Zealand site selling a "Dörfler, stamped G. Werner" for NZ$730. Eventually I found http://www.vivaceviolin.com/pp/Bows/.../VlnBw406.html which seems to further indicate that G. Werner is student grade bows made by Dörfler. On their website, I found no information on the stamping of their beginner/student level models, though...
G. Werner bows seems to sell for USD150-500.

On Krusig I have nothing. Can't find anything online, no matter which of the German words for bow or bow maker I use in association with his name.
I found a few websites that sell them but also list them in more than one level of Quality and price. All have been French that I have found. These are fairly high quality German made German Bows, from what I can see. Still, the prices the dealer set for them are probably what they sell for retail in NYC. At an international show, these two Bows may or may not be competitively priced. Still, I have a good bunch of great and classic bows besides these. I was just curious what was known about them out here because I had never heard of them before.