Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Strings

Old 02-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Junior Posting Member

Dirk Blarinckx is on a distinguished road
Default Another question about slapping...

Hi, I'm using TCRM-5's on my BSR5EG and I'm very pleased with the tapercores, also adjusting my bass to other tensions is no problem. Thing is We are planning to ad some "level 42" songs to our playlist so I'll need to do some slap work.... Would it be better (read : easyer to play) to switch to TCRML or TCRL's for this job or is there not much difference playwise and soundwise? My first idea is that the thinner the string the better it will be for slapping but I'm not shure about this... Anyone who has experience with slapping with the differerent stringgauges?

Thanks,
Dirk
Old 02-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation thinner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Blarinckx View Post
Hi, I'm using TCRM-5's on my BSR5EG and I'm very pleased with the tapercores, also adjusting my bass to other tensions is no problem. Thing is We are planning to ad some "level 42" songs to our playlist so I'll need to do some slap work.... Would it be better (read : easyer to play) to switch to TCRML or TCRL's for this job or is there not much difference playwise and soundwise? My first idea is that the thinner the string the better it will be for slapping but I'm not shure about this... Anyone who has experience with slapping with the differerent stringgauges?

Thanks,
Dirk
Thinner may be looser but will play slower with a slight delayed magnetic response on the pickups. The tighter the string, the faster the sound. You end up playing harder with lighter strings sometimes while chasing the beat.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Smile Better?

Stick with the Smith Medium Taper Cores and slap away!

Old 02-21-2010, 05:30 AM
Junior Posting Member

Dirk Blarinckx is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info!
I'll stick with the mediums

Dirk
Old 02-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Posting Member

Anton Hasias is on a distinguished road

As we know "Level 42" is Mark King on bass.
He's playing with very light gauges, something like 0.90, 0.75, 0.55, 0.35 (of course 4string basses).
So at least the "hard rule" with thick or medium strings is not valable for him.
I always string my Slap bass with medium light strings(may be not exactly as light as Mark King) but the result is up to my expectations.
If I could allow myself to give you a friendly advice, it would be that you should give a try to some different gauges of Smith stainless strings and pick up the best suited set to your style and taste.(I am sure your ears and fingers will speak you closer and louder than myself).
One more remark; This is the main reason you can find and order Smith strings in complete sets or single string as well. It's all about customing your personal set.

Best regards

Last edited by Anton Hasias; 02-21-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:04 AM
Junior Posting Member

johnadamcotter is on a distinguished road

I think basically the thinner the better , you want a close setup, so it ALMOST buzzes, and don't slap hard, just enough pressure to make it pop. Vic Wooten is just flicking his strings with his thumb sides sometimes. The biggest mistake I see are new slappers pulling up too hard, and wacking thumbs, just little taps and pops will do it. trust me, once you get the feeling, it's like crashing a bicycle.