Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 10-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Junior Posting Member

Mendell Beckford is on a distinguished road
Default Avalon U5

I recently purchased a used u5 and i am looking for feedback on the best way to maximize it's full potential.As an Eden user,Tim,you might be able to help on this one.Is there anyway to bypass the Eden 550 pre and go straight to the amp section?Right now i do not turn up the Eden pre past 9 o'clock because i do not want to risk damaging it.Also ,if anyone else has the knowledge feel free to school me.Thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool By-pass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendell Beckford View Post
I recently purchased a used u5 and i am looking for feedback on the best way to maximize it's full potential.As an Eden user,Tim,you might be able to help on this one.Is there anyway to bypass the Eden 550 pre and go straight to the amp section?Right now i do not turn up the Eden pre past 9 o'clock because i do not want to risk damaging it.Also ,if anyone else has the knowledge feel free to school me.Thanks
Mendell, I have a couple of questions that quickly come to mind:

1. Why would you want to bi-pass the Eden pre-amp?

2. What do you mean by "turning up the Eden pre past 9 o'clock"? I suspect you mean the Gain and/or Master being turned up past 9? You're not going to hurt the 550 unless you take the load below 2 Ohms.

3. Can I assume you want to use the U5 as THE pre-amp and the 550 as the power source? If yes, the answer would be to run 'Out' of the U5 into the 'Effects Return' of the 550, thus, by-passing the 550's pre.

Tim B.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 10-10-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:42 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default Bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post

2. What do you mean by "turning up the Eden pre past 9 o'clock"? I suspect you mean the Gain and/or Master being turned up past 9? You're not going to hurt the 550 unless you take the load below 2 Ohms.

3. Can I assume you want to use the U5 as THE pre-amp and the 550 as the power source? If yes, the answer would be to run 'Out' of the U5 into the 'Effects Return' of the 550, thus, by-passing the 550's pre.

Tim B.
Your assumption (#3) would be right Tim.I'll try that.Thanks for the advice.Oh,btw,i meant the gain at 9 o'clock.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Why?

Quote:

Tim B.
Quote:
Your assumption (#3) would be right Tim.I'll try that.Thanks for the advice.Oh,btw,i meant the gain at 9 o'clock.
Ok. Now I'm trying to understand why you would want to do this. Is there a specific reason why you would want to by-pass the 550 pre for the U5 pre?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Avalon

Quote:
Ok. Now I'm trying to understand why you would want to do this. Is there a specific reason why you would want to by-pass the 550 pre for the U5 pre?
Whenever i plug into the gain stage of the Eden coming from the Avalon,i get an incredible low frequency hum if i try to pass 9 o'clock with the Gain.I tried what you said last night(#3) and also got almost the same results,though not as severe as going through the gain stage.Clueless at this point
Old 10-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool ???

Quote:
Quote:
Whenever i plug into the gain stage of the Eden coming from the Avalon,i get an incredible low frequency hum if i try to pass 9 o'clock with the Gain.I tried what you said last night(#3) and also got almost the same results,though not as severe as going through the gain stage.Clueless at this point
I'm sorry, I'm confused . So, you came out of the U5 'Out' into the front Input of the 550? If your answer is yes, than that would not be what you want to do.

Are you sure there are no issues with the U5, Eden or cable you are using? Also, double-check your 'Ground Lift' on the 550.

Also, I'm still a bit puzzled. Why would you not just want to use the 550 with it's pre-amp and other great features?

Another option if you want to use the U5 as your pre: Try going from your U5 'Out' to the 550 'Aux' In.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 10-11-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Avalon

Quote:
I'm sorry, I'm confused . So, you came out of the U5 'Out' into the front Input of the 550? If your answer is yes, than that would not be what you want to do.

Are you sure there are no issues with the U5, Eden or cable you are using? Also, double-check your 'Ground Lift' on the 550.

Also, I'm still a bit puzzled. Why would you not just want to use the 550 with it's pre-amp and other great features?

Another option if you want to use the U5 as your pre: Try going from your U5 'Out' to the 550 'Aux' In.
Hey Tim,I have been trying different settings both on the Avalon and the Eden while going directly through the gain stage with much better results.I think i'll take your advice.Since i paid for the 550,why not use all i'ts features.Thanks for the help sir.Much appreciated.Btw,wish i had the duckets to take that Smith off your hands.Great looking bass
Old 10-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Still trying....

Quote:
Hey Tim,I have been trying different settings both on the Avalon and the Eden while going directly through the gain stage with much better results.I think i'll take your advice.Since i paid for the 550,why not use all i'ts features.Thanks for the help sir.Much appreciated.Btw,wish i had the duckets to take that Smith off your hands.Great looking bass
The 550 is hard to beat. I use it mainly as a DI since I am on an in-ear system most of the time.

Did you try going out of the U5 into the 550 Aux In?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default yup

Quote:
The 550 is hard to beat. I use it mainly as a DI since I am on an in-ear system most of the time.

Did you try going out of the U5 into the 550 Aux In?
I tried the aux with the same results.nothing but hum
Old 10-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Hmmm....

Quote:
I tried the aux with the same results.nothing but hum
Hmmm, sounds like a bad cable and/or ground issue somewhere in the loop.

How is the 550 on its own? Any noise using it only with your bass?

Old 10-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Hmmm, sounds like a bad cable and/or ground issue somewhere in the loop.

How is the 550 on its own? Any noise using it only with your bass?
The 550 by itself is fine.I'll try another cable to see if that makes a difference.I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default U5

Quote:
The 550 by itself is fine.I'll try another cable to see if that makes a difference.I'll let you know how it turns out.
Hey Tim,as it turns out,an unshielded cable was the source of my frustration.Everything works fine now.Thanks for the help.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Ahhh....

Quote:
Hey Tim,as it turns out,an unshielded cable was the source of my frustration.Everything works fine now.Thanks for the help.
Ahhh, that'l do it. I'm glad you got it resolved.