Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 05-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Junior Posting Member

Brenton Carter is on a distinguished road
Default Humidifier recommendation

i'm shopping for a humidifier. this isn't brain surgery but i wanted to see what luthiers are using in their shops. my apartment will be about 700 sq ft so it probably wouldn't need a huge one. what do you think? oh, and i'm looking for the best value, also. thanks!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Humidifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton Carter View Post
i'm shopping for a humidifier. this isn't brain surgery but i wanted to see what luthiers are using in their shops. my apartment will be about 700 sq ft so it probably wouldn't need a huge one. what do you think? oh, and i'm looking for the best value, also. thanks!
You could easily locate one new on eBay or go to your local department store. There are several brands. A one gallon humidifier should work fine for you. $50. or less as far as cost. Also, a good humidity gauge would be good so you could monitor the humidity level: Radio Shack carries these and they are not that expensive. A 47% humidity range is good level to maintain.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Junior Posting Member

Brenton Carter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
You could easily locate one new on eBay or go to your local department store. There are several brands. A one gallon humidifier should work fine for you. $50. or less as far as cost. Also, a good humidity gauge would be good so you could monitor the humidity level: Radio Shack carries these and they are not that expensive. A 47% humidity range is good level to maintain.
i would like to buy it new. i have a hygrometer and i try to keep my room now from 35% to 45%. any more than that then my bass doesn't ring like it should. do you or anyone else have any positive first hand experience with a specific model or brand? i'll be moving to cleveland... i'm sure it's not too different than chicago, but if anyone else has a different opinion, please, share.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Default Brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton Carter View Post
i would like to buy it new. i have a hygrometer and i try to keep my room now from 35% to 45%. any more than that then my bass doesn't ring like it should. do you or anyone else have any positive first hand experience with a specific model or brand? i'll be moving to cleveland... i'm sure it's not too different than chicago, but if anyone else has a different opinion, please, share.
I use a Honeywell and it works great. That or any like brand will work fine.