Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > English Basses & the British Isles

Old 01-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Lockey Hill

Anyone interested in seeing a beautiful old 'confirmed' Lockey Hill?

This one with narrower Ribs and Violin Corners c.1780. It also has an angled Back break up near the Neck. This Bass with a few exceptions looked so Italian I had to take a 2nd and 3rd closer look at the Head and Wood under the varnish to believe it was olde English.

I got permission from the owner to showcase it on my Website for display only. In case your are wondering, it is Not for Sale. The Bass is owned by a NY area professional freelance Bassist.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

wow, very nice, and very different from other hills (or "so-called-hills) i´ve seen

Old 01-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Hill pics..

Lockey Hill ~ London, c.1780

This is a beautiful old Bass that at first glance, I thought was Italian.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
a beautiful old 'confirmed' Lockey Hill?
may i ask who confirmed that, and based on what criteria?
Old 01-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke View Post
may i ask who confirmed that, and based on what criteria?
Tom Martin (in person recently) and at least one other in the last few decades. It has always been known as a Lockey Hill and Tom recently saw the Bass and without a hint he claimed it to be as well.

Do you have another Theory of it being something other than what the others have claimed? Remember, the English were the great copyists and even the Bass you posted as a Lockey can be as well but I suspect slightly a later date. The FFs of the two have similarities in the placement, curves and relation to the outer edges. The model though is completely different on the one posted on TalkBass.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Tom Martin (in person recently) and at least one other in the last few decades. It has always been known as a Lockey Hill and Tom recently saw the Bass and without a hint he claimed it to be as well.
thanks for the information!
Quote:
Do you have another Theory of it being something other than what the others have claimed?
no, i was just curious
Old 06-06-2009, 01:19 AM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

That instrument is to die for.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:50 AM
Junior Posting Member

Kjetil Laukholm is on a distinguished road

Here are some pictures of my Lockey Hill prior to a major restoration by Patrick Charton.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C184C004.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1478  Click image for larger version

Name:	C184C006.jpg
Views:	1695
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1479  Click image for larger version

Name:	C184C008.jpg
Views:	1676
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1480  Click image for larger version

Name:	C184C010.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1481  Click image for larger version

Name:	C184C011.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1482  

Click image for larger version

Name:	C184C012.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1483  
Old 02-19-2010, 02:35 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up wow..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjetil Laukholm View Post
Here are some pictures of my Lockey Hill prior to a major restoration by Patrick Charton.
Beautiful bass. Ex-Leon Bosch. He sent me pictures last summer of it. He has John Schaefer's Londolfi now. John retired a few years back from the NY Phil. He was the Principal there for decades. Leon described the Hill as a 'special' bass and the one that inspired him as well. Phenomenal player Leon is. He played my 4/4 English Gamba at the ISB like it was a Cello. Made me feel like a total beginner watching him play.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Junior Posting Member

It looks much better now after the restoration and plays better.
The measurements are quite large and it has been reduced in length at some point which means it was originally a very long instrument, something which seems consistant with other Hills I have seen.
The sound is unusually dark and on the creamy side with incredible activation of the fundamental across the entire orchestral range.
It is not one to project in front of an orchestra, but for section work it is ideal.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Posting Member

Adrian Juras is on a distinguished road

Beautiful bass! The ff's look particularly nice. I am sure it has a sound to match.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question ??

Quote:
It looks much better now after the restoration and plays better.
The measurements are quite large and it has been reduced in length at some point which means it was originally a very long instrument, something which seems consistant with other Hills I have seen.
The sound is unusually dark and on the creamy side with incredible activation of the fundamental across the entire orchestral range.
It is not one to project in front of an orchestra, but for section work it is ideal.
Leon said it was a Joseph Hill and you have it as a Lockey. Lockey(1756-1810) is the son of Joseph(1715-1784) who also had a son named Joseph(1745-1793) as well.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:32 AM
Junior Posting Member

Martin sold it as a Lockey, but what are your thoughts?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool thoughts?

Quote:
Martin sold it as a Lockey, but what are your thoughts?
I can't say either way professionally. The bass I posted above Martin called a Lockey and yours looks completely different. Also, the FFs on yours look closer to the other Joseph Snr. basses I have seen. I can't say but either way, it's a beautiful bass. The sons trained and worked with him. There are 4 sons that I have read about, all makers. Who is to say for sure which one did which part of a given instrument without bearing personal witness? Also, with the bass being cut as you say, it makes things even harder as far as the overall outline. Did you try contacting Leon Bosch to get the history of this bass before it came into Martin's possession? I would do that if I were you. Also, I would find out why it was called a Joseph before and a Lockey now! Doesn't hurt to ask.

His son was Henry Lockey Hill who trained with Lockey and then worked for John Betts. H.Lockey as well as a brother of his, Panormo and son, Fendt and son, Carter, Tobin and others all worked for Betts at one time or another. It is written by Morris that H.Lockey later worked with his father who made a firm with his brothers (his 3 uncles, I think he means) to make instruments.

Pay attention now because it gets confusing and interesting. Henry Lockey's son was William Ebsworth known as W.E. Hill who would later become W.E. Hill and sons. Before that firm started W.E. went to train further to hone his violin making skills with Charles Harris Jnr. about 1833-1835? Charles II had just finished working for John Hart before moving back to his birthplace. Hart was the apprentice of Samuel Gilkes. Gilkes was related to Charles Harris I and was first trained by Harris Snr. as well. Hart had a son named George. Later it became Hart and Son and George had a son George II. They were in stiff competition with the Hills. Generations earlier there is no mention of any feuds between the makers but later in the 19th century with dealings of old Violins and the Harts being 'King' in that respect the Hill's sent out to destroy their reputation by saying that the Hart's were never makers, only dealers. Dealers yes but all three generations were trained makers regardless of their small personal output. I have an original early John Hart bass as proof.

Now that you have a Hill and I have a Hart, can we be friends 150 years after this 'business is war' thing started between the two families?

.. I just thought that a little background color would help make the story interesting. All of this I have read in various books. The early 20th century Hill's did acknowledge that the Hart's were the main dealers of the 19th century. The Hill's however were credited with their repair innovations. John Hart, pupil of Gilkes was also known as a fine repairman. Gilkes trained with Harris I, then worked for W. Forster III and also trained S.A. Forster as part of his employ contract and then trained J.Hart after the Forster shop closed. Harris II then worked for J.Hart after Gilkes Snr died. W.E. Hill THEN trained with Harris II before opening his firm later with his sons. So, was Hill doing what was passed down to him thru the lineage of Gilkes, Forster, Hart and Harris or did they invent something as far as these repair techniques go?

Hummm... The thlot plickens (plot thickens).. or.. does it?

Can't we all just get along?
Old 02-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Junior Posting Member

The papers on the bass that were given to me at the time of purchase have it as a Lockey some time before the sale by some manchester shop/repairman.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:12 AM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker

Kjetil, who built this extension? I like it very much. Beautifully understated.