Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 08-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Junior Posting Member

Pieter Gaskin is on a distinguished road
Default Owning a Ken Smith Bass May Save Your Life

I saw Billy Currington this past spring and his bass player Alex Stevens was playing a Ken Smith 5 String.It may have saved his life a few weeks ago.Please read below:

Alex Stevens just may owe his life to his bass guitar. Billy Currington's bass player was one of more than 75 people injured in the brutal storm that hit Canada's biggest country music festival, the Big Valley Jamboree, on Aug. 1. Alex was leaving the stage with his bass slung over his shoulder when a huge gust of wind caused the stage to collapse.

"It was like being blindsided by a bus," Alex tells the Edmonton Journal. "I was halfway down the stairs off the back of the stage, when a whole section of seating and scaffolding slammed into me from my right side. I was pinned underneath it and unable to move."

Alex's guitar acted as a barrier between himself and the debris, possibly saving him from serious injury or even death.

"I'm convinced that if I hadn't been wearing my bass, my pelvis or back would've been crushed or broken," he says. "I don't know how long I was trapped, but it seemed like an eternity."

Alex had surgery to repair a severed artery in his left arm. He still has a ways to go in the recovery process but hopes to return to touring with Billy again very soon. Billy suffered a concussion in the storms and has had to cancel several performances while he recovers, as well.

In addition to the numerous injuries, the storms claimed the life of one fan at the Big Valley Jamboree. Donna Moore was fatally crushed by large speakers that tumbled from the stage.
#siteSocial_shareThisButton { float:right;}.siteSocial_shareData { display:none;}Alex Stevens just may owe his life to his bass guitar. Billy Currington's bass player was one of more than 75 people injured in the brutal storm that hit Canada's biggest country music festival, the Big Valley Jamboree, on Aug. 1. Alex was leaving the stage with his bass slung over his shoulder when a huge gust of wind caused the stage to collapse. "It was like being blindsided by a bus," Alex tells the Edmonton Journal. "I was halfway down the stairs off the back of the stage, when a whole section of seating and scaffolding slammed into me from my right side. I was pinned underneath it and unable to move." ... Billy Currington's Bandmate Saved By His Guitar
Old 08-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Junior Posting Member

Thanks for moving this to the correct forum.

Pieter
Old 08-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

Man.. I'm not sure what's worse.. Having your spine crushed or your Smith bass destroyed..

I bet he buys a new one!

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 08-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter Gaskin View Post
Thanks for moving this to the correct forum.

Pieter
Sure, touching story as well. Glad to hear that we made the bass strong enough to protect a person under all the debris.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Wow.

Wow. I'm thankful to hear that he and all the others are ok.

I've always said "Smith necks are very stable". Next to Ken, I know all too well how well these basses are made. This is just another great endorsement of that fact.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Here's Alex's account of that day....

Here's a blog from Alex:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=505142656

Old 08-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Junior Posting Member

There is a picture my wife has of the band on the private plane(she's a DJ at the local country station).You can see the Ken Smith bass headstock across the eisle.