Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 08-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Junior Posting Member

Pieter Gaskin is on a distinguished road
Default Buying Wood

I have mentioned here before that I am a novice builder.I have designed on paper and posterboard to scale what I am going to build.I know what I am going to use wood wise for the body and the neck.I know the scale of the instrument, bridge placement etc.

What I don't have is a concept of how much wood to buy in a board foot sense.I have access to kiln dried lumber and the tools to mill it down to usable sizes.Left over wood is not a problem as it will be put to good use.I plan to get my lumber here http://lakeshorehardwoods.com/ .There are also a few other local suppliers with more or less the same inventory.Can someone give me an idea of what I would be looking at?My bass would be of standard size scale and body wise.

Thanks again for the forum generated happy birthday!!I don't feel 43 .
Pete
Old 08-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Buy Wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter Gaskin View Post
I have mentioned here before that I am a novice builder.I have designed on paper and posterboard to scale what I am going to build.I know what I am going to use wood wise for the body and the neck.I know the scale of the instrument, bridge placement etc.

What I don't have is a concept of how much wood to buy in a board foot sense.I have access to kiln dried lumber and the tools to mill it down to usable sizes.Left over wood is not a problem as it will be put to good use.I plan to get my lumber here http://lakeshorehardwoods.com/ .There are also a few other local suppliers with more or less the same inventory.Can someone give me an idea of what I would be looking at?My bass would be of standard size scale and body wise.

Thanks again for the forum generated happy birthday!!I don't feel 43 .
Pete

Peter, we sell wood from our stock for making Basses, Guitars and Furniture, Etc.

Just give me the basic dimensions of what you need and you can not only get Dried wood from us, It is acclimated and Guitar grade cosmetically as well.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Junior Posting Member

Pieter Gaskin is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ken!Didn't know that was available other than furniture wood.Could you please contact me off board with a price list and typically what is available?I want to do as much of the wood working as possible as this has been a dream of mine since I talked with you 20 years ago attempting to build a six string bass then and buy a bridge from you.Built plenty of kits though!!

You had asked me what my string spacing was going to be and I said I didn't know.You wouldn't sell me a bridge until I knew .I had no idea then of how to draw things out...God I was only 22 yrs old or so and hadn't even read Hiscock's book yet .

Thanks Again
Old 08-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Contact..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter Gaskin View Post
Thanks Ken!Didn't know that was available other than furniture wood.Could you please contact me off board with a price list and typically what is available?I want to do as much of the wood working as possible as this has been a dream of mine since I talked with you 20 years ago attempting to build a six string bass then and buy a bridge from you.Built plenty of kits though!!

You had asked me what my string spacing was going to be and I said I didn't know.You wouldn't sell me a bridge until I knew .I had no idea then of how to draw things out...God I was only 22 yrs old or so and hadn't even read Hiscock's book yet .

Thanks Again

Email me directly to sales@kensmithbasses.com