Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Classical/Arco

Old 05-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow Gut Thoughts for Orchestral Bowing

Ok, I started a Thread on Guts over on TB and has since been merged with about 2 others but because I was not 100% clear about my Bowing quest, almost every 'weed whacker' in town replied which flooded the Thread with off-topic Posts.

So, I am looking to discuss traditional Guts (only) which mean G&D plain Gut and A&E Wound Gut. This Excludes Eudoxas, Olivs and any other wannabe Gut look alike as well as Hybrids that wanna sound or look like Gut. Just old fashioned Guts that are made today that are usable in Orchestra on a decent or better quality Orchestra Bass. This probably excludes Plywoods and Hybrids as well. It does matter very much I think the quality of the Bass you are trying to play. Using Guts may be difficult enough to begin with much less trying to Bow in an Orchestra with a Bass that hardly sounds good regardless of the String you use.

So please, if you have any thoughts or suggestions on Orchestral Bowing with Guts, please reply here. The suitable brands I have heard about include Gamuts', Dlugoleki's, Chorda's, Larson's, Lenzner's and even LaBella's. Even though some of you have mentioned that the Labella's are not so great, I recently used a set and they worked just fine on my Bisiach Bass in Orchestra. This may be a good example of how the grade of the Bass is important in judging the String.

For now, I am waiting on a set of Chordas made by Pirastro to try next. I have picked out which Bass in my rack to use for a few reasons for these Guts. This is an Italian Bass by Lombardi made in 1981 that I just got recently. The Lombardi needs a full set-up with Fingerboard, Nut, Saddle, Endpin and Bridge. All but the Bridge are made from Wenge, an African hardwood. It works fine but not as good as it can be. The Bridge has a foot Shim and will get another for the height needed for the Gut. This way by widening the slots at the Bridge and Nut I am not altering anything that isn't getting replaced anyway. Also, I have been informed by a fine Luthier that Guts sound better on lighter weighted Basses as well. The Lombardi is the lightest I have so that Bass sounds like the perfect candidate for my next Gut trial.

If you have the time, please read my Posts over on the TB Thread and any of the related replies or comments. I can't fix what has been done there but here I can moderate it much better. Posters from TB that are over here as well are welcomed to re-post any comments they may have even if posted already over there.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Posting Member

davidseidel is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up guts for bowing

I put a full set of Chordas on 6 months ago on my attributed old English bass and though I am not currently doing any orchestral playing I have certainly done plenty of bowing on them one way and another. This bass is heavyweight and sounds and plays really well for arco in general but I mainly play jazz etc. The Chordas are pretty heavy gauge by my reckoning especially the D, A and E meaning thick rather than heavy weight. Once you practice a bit on them they are not so hard to bow and have a wonderful meaty tone or should I say gutsy? The great thing is in the 50s and earlier you didn't have to have different strings for arco or pizz and these do great with both IMHO. But at a price as they are less forgiving with the bow and you have to be more precise in every stroke but isn't that a good thing anyway? And the more soulful deep and colorful tone is ample reward. I have used Dlugolecki's G and D as well and they were nice too but these are maybe stronger sound overall.

I know lots of players who were around when gut strings were the mainstream say been there done that etc but I can't believe they didn't hear something missing when metal came in...... I know it was more of a practical modernising change but at the expense of the glorious classic bass tone which only real gut gives IMHO!

The plain guts stay in tune pretty well but the wound ones will change drastically when weather changes but during course of a gig I find tuning pretty good actually.

It may be worth trying Gerold Genssler as well - I had some from him in very early days of Velvet when they were making gut strings and they really had a sound, so I would imagine his new varieties would be excellent too - just haven't got around to trying his yet as I am more than happy with the Chordas for now, for what its worth.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up Great..

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidseidel View Post
I put a full set of Chordas on 6 months ago on my attributed old English bass and though I am not currently doing any orchestral playing I have certainly done plenty of bowing on them one way and another. This bass is heavyweight and sounds and plays really well for arco in general but I mainly play jazz etc. The Chordas are pretty heavy gauge by my reckoning especially the D, A and E meaning thick rather than heavy weight. Once you practice a bit on them they are not so hard to bow and have a wonderful meaty tone or should I say gutsy? The great thing is in the 50s and earlier you didn't have to have different strings for arco or pizz and these do great with both IMHO. But at a price as they are less forgiving with the bow and you have to be more precise in every stroke but isn't that a good thing anyway? And the more soulful deep and colorful tone is ample reward. I have used Dlugolecki's G and D as well and they were nice too but these are maybe stronger sound overall.

I know lots of players who were around when gut strings were the mainstream say been there done that etc but I can't believe they didn't hear something missing when metal came in...... I know it was more of a practical modernising change but at the expense of the glorious classic bass tone which only real gut gives IMHO!

The plain guts stay in tune pretty well but the wound ones will change drastically when weather changes but during course of a gig I find tuning pretty good actually.

It may be worth trying Gerold Genssler as well - I had some from him in very early days of Velvet when they were making gut strings and they really had a sound, so I would imagine his new varieties would be excellent too - just haven't got around to trying his yet as I am more than happy with the Chordas for now, for what its worth.
Well including all the TB replies I got on the new combined mega Gut thread, this is the best news I have had to date. I think I am going to copy your reply to that thread. Also, you did it on an old English Bass as well which as you know I still have 3 of the 4 that I bought, one of them still in restoration. Sounds like you are walking on the clouds..
Old 06-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

Off and on I have this odd desire to string up my bass with guts and one friend of mine suggested strings made by Boston Catlines. Has anyone used those or heard of that maker??

I am not an "orchestra guy", but I favor arco playing in many different contexts where most players play pizz. I am a fan of the orchestra and of classical / baroque music. I also play a 5-stringer and understand bowing guts on that one will not be a walk in the park, so perhaps I am just entertaining a fantasy that requires an extra bass (or two). After reading so much about Dlugoleki and Gamuts, I wondered if anyone has experience with Boston Catlines?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Wink Boston Catlines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
Off and on I have this odd desire to string up my bass with guts and one friend of mine suggested strings made by Boston Catlines. Has anyone used those or heard of that maker??

I am not an "orchestra guy", but I favor arco playing in many different contexts where most players play pizz. I am a fan of the orchestra and of classical / baroque music. I also play a 5-stringer and understand bowing guts on that one will not be a walk in the park, so perhaps I am just entertaining a fantasy that requires an extra bass (or two). After reading so much about Dlugoleki and Gamuts, I wondered if anyone has experience with Boston Catlines?
Do you expect 'serious' strings made from a company with such a misguided name? Show me a Cat big enough to have Guts that can make a bass string! Can't? Then shop elsewhere. Anyway, they can't afford a website yet from the search I just made. Maybe they are just tying 2 or 3 Cats together for each string. Anyone missing a Cat out there? Ever hear a Sheep meow or a Cat baahhh?? Why wasn't the "Catgut Society" named the "Sheepgut Society"? All that research and they mislead you at the front door!..

For your quest Dave, look back at how the wound E-Gut was developed 200 years ago and you will see that it was not easy to get a note to sound at an even volume under the A. Now wound Gut Es are ok on some Basses but a B? That will be a challenge in two ways. First, find one! Second, try playing it. Did I mention a third way? Well if you think it's difficult finding a Bass with an even volume steel/metal low B bowed then good luck doing it on Gut.

Get a 4-string or maybe even a 4 with an Extension to go down. I called LaBella and asked for a set for an Extension and I might just get it. Now, which Bass of mine with an Extension can I spare for this quest and will that Bass be playable with Gut?

Ok, I will let the audience choose. Currently, only my Hart, Gilkes and Martini have Extensions. My full sized old English Gamba should be done soon but without an Extension. I think playing that monster as a normal 4-strings is enough of a challenge much lest reaching back for an Extension. Fingering and bowing Gut will be twice the challenge. The Storioni would be great if it were done but the Restoration is not even starting for awhile so that's at least 2 years out.

Choose between the 3 Basses above I first mentioned for a Gut-string Extension Orchestral Bass, and why! Yes, tell me why you made that choice. You may also ask questions here online about any of the 3 basses to help make your decision.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

So I take it this is the first you've heard of Boston Catlines, Ken? I think the name is a play on the ancient Italian name, and since the market is mostly period use on period reproduction instruments, the name is serious, if not reflective of the materials used now or then. You can reach Olav Chris Henriksen of Boston Catlines by e-mail at Calines@aol.com. It seems from my communications that he prefers to take custom orders over the telephone (I know;- that technology is ancient).

I was told his strings were the very very best available by a local Renaissance / Baroque instrument lutenist. I think I'll order a D/G plain gut pair and see what these are like since this supplier is obviously not too well known. And as always, I appreciate your informed precautions. Dlugolecki makes a wound string for violones in 80 gauge that is intended as a D string (baroque tuning) for 95-105 cm mensur. At 110 cm., same tension, that is a C string, which puts it only a half-step up from the low B. And then when you invoke modern A=440, it is even closer. So it might be a little loose, but a shade larger would be right on target, perhaps an 83 gauge?

I don't yet know of any plain gut strings that would come close to the low B at reasonable tension.

When I look at the attendant difficulties associated with 5 strings, I also look at historical violones with 6 strings (lowest tuning DD) and wonder how the increased difficulties were dealt with in those times. Perhaps it is in the way hair tension is achieved with the baroque style bows? Being able to vary the tension on the fly might be the answer. When is Katie Long going to pop in and enlighten us????

I do still have my old 4-stringer and maybe that would be the place to start, but I really want the low notes and the configuration/mensur I'm used to. Definitely a second DB is the answer. I need a spare 5-er anyway.

I do think the Catgut Society is called something else now, but we are getting off topic there. When I get a couple of the Boston Catline strings and bow on them, I'll check back in and report. I'll see what Olav thinks about the BB possibilities.

Last edited by David Powell; 06-05-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

Ken, have you tried Damien Dlogolecki strings? I have a G and D on my bass right now because I'm doing some period playing, these strings are as good as it gets for an authentic baroque sound, they of course bow very nicely with a beautiful warm gut sound. Chi-Chi Nwanoku (Principal of the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment) uses these strings...you should check out her website for sound clips...
Old 06-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Unhappy no..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Marks View Post
Ken, have you tried Damien Dlogolecki strings? I have a G and D on my bass right now because I'm doing some period playing, these strings are as good as it gets for an authentic baroque sound, they of course bow very nicely with a beautiful warm gut sound. Chi-Chi Nwanoku (Principal of the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment) uses these strings...you should check out her website for sound clips...
Never tried them but I am looking for regular Orchestra Strings, not any specific 'period'. I have the Chordas on a Bass now and they are not so easy to play. I start rehearsals next week and 2 concerts after that. From the looks of it now, the Guts may not make it to the show!
Old 06-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Never tried them but I am looking for regular Orchestra Strings, not any specific 'period'. I have the Chordas on a Bass now and they are not so easy to play. I start rehearsals next week and 2 concerts after that. From the looks of it now, the Guts may not make it to the show!
IMO Chorda's work better for jazz playing. Pirastro claims that they're an "authentic period instrument string" but I disagree...anything by Damian Dlugolecki or Aquila puts Chorda's to shame in every category. I don't think you'll find anyone playing in a section using pure gut strings today...I've seen a lot of section bassists use Eudoxa's and Olivs, but let's be honest...A Eudoxa is close to that good old beefy gut sound but it's no cigar for bach, handel, vivaldi, telemann. I take it you've tried Olivs Ken? These might be a good match for symphony playing, they blend well with steel and still have an attractive gut sound...kinda the best of both worlds.

If I can be completely honest with you, I have on my bass now a Eudoxa A, tuned to 415, I recently swapped it for a Dominant and the Dominant matched the unwound guts on top better. I really found there to be a huge gap in sound between natural gut and Eudoxa's/Olivs.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Chorda's initial review..

Ok, I put the Chordas on a few days ago and they are no where near being settled in yet. Each day I tune them up about a half step as they seem to keep stretching.

They are on the thick side comparing them to the Labellas from what I can remember. They bow well on the G and D and pizz great. I put one coat of gel varnish on the plain G/D but I can't say if its better with or without having not tried them before hand.

The A plays better both Arco and Pizz than the E but I can't say that I have an optimum set-up with the Guts as far as the Bridge goes. The Nut (seems to be original) looks as if it was cut for Guts originally but I doubt the Bridge is original.

Tomorrow, Phil (Uncle Toad) will be 'In the House' for the day trying Basses so I will make sure to get his opinion on these strings.

For now as far as playing in an Orchestra I cannot see any advantages overall for playing on Guts. The top strings sound great and loud. For Pizz they have a nice thick 'pump'-type sound but the E seems weak or at lease hard to play and the A is just 'ok' nothing to write home about.

The Bass I am testing them on is a 1981 Italian Bass by Lombardi. The FlatBack and wide Ribs are made from plain type Poplar. The Top is a low arched flatsawn local type Fir or Pine. The String length on this 3/4 Bass is 41 1/2".

The test bass (Lombardi) is generally quite loud and slightly bright sounding as far as presence goes but not at all thin sounding. I thought this would be a good Bass for the test. I will let Phil throw in his 2 cents on it if he feels up to it.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Chordas in use..

Ok, if anyone's still listening.. I did a rehearsal last Thursday night and Saturday morning with the Guts. After the Sunday Concert (the first of two Concerts), I questioned the other Bassists in the section and they think the Guts did just fine. Plenty of Pizz and Arco switching in this program especially in the 'West Side Story'. Steels would be better for some things but not all around. The Guts are way easier on my fingers for the Pizz. Also, we are playing outdoors so you don't hear the Bass coming back to you off a wall like in a regular indoor venue.

Tonight we did the second Concert at another Park and used the same Bass and strings. It was about the same results as Sunday (Fathers Day).

Although these may not be the best Guts for this Bass or for me on any Bass for that matter, I felt they had to be tested in action before passing judgment. I just wish I had a program to use the LaBellas on awhile back as I only played them in the office. Hopefully soon, I will test another set from them and try it on at least one Concert this time.

I am waiting for Labella to make me an Ext.E/C which I was told was possible. Then I will give it a better try the 2nd time around. Actually, I think I liked the Labella Guts a little more than the Chordas but it was well over a year ago and it was a different Bass as well. Not the best way to compare but it's all I can remember.

On the Lombardi Bass I had to move the Bridge up closer to the Fingerboard to raise the string height (after I set the sound post) because it was just too low and doesn't have any adjusters. I might just have Arnold make me a new Bridge soon without Adjusters for now and keep the Guts on this Bass. Moving the sound post closer to the Bridge (or vise versa actually) should probably help with a bad Wolf I have on the A-string. Also, making the string length longer (or where it should be) should help as well. Still, with all the 'fudging', I still enjoyed this experiment to date.

Also, I have been told that lighter weighted Basses are better candidates for Gut strings than heavier Basses. The Lombardi feel light in comparison to my other Basses so that's one of the reasons I picked it for the test.

Either way, it has been fun playing on these Guts for the last week in action. These Chordas are well made professional strings. Having very little to go by I can't say much more about them other than they sound nice and fat, like they look.. lol
Old 11-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Junior Posting Member

Pete George is on a distinguished road
Default Glessner Guts

I think I'm going to try playing a set of the Genssler guts in my orchestras.

He makes almost anything you'd want, including a long C.

Not having played guts at all in about four decades, I'm going to go first with the wrapped guts. If that works, I'll probably go to unwrapped (D and G, anyway) the next time I re-string.

These will go on my Arvi, which is about six years old, but with a pretty dark, full sound.

I'll report back if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Pete George; 11-13-2008 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Posting Member

davidseidel is on a distinguished road
Default Glessner or genssler?!

I guess you mean Gerold Genssler? He made the original Velvet Strings quite a few years back when they really were Gut core. I had some prototypes and they sounded and played beautifully......
Old 11-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidseidel View Post
I guess you mean Gerold Genssler? He made the original Velvet Strings quite a few years back when they really were Gut core. I had some prototypes and they sounded and played beautifully......
Well yeah.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
...look back at how the wound E-Gut was developed 200 years ago and you will see that it was not easy to get a note to sound at an even volume under the A. Now wound Gut Es are ok on some Basses but a B? That will be a challenge in two ways. First, find one! Second, try playing it. Did I mention a third way? Well if you think it's difficult finding a Bass with an even volume steel/metal low B bowed then good luck doing it on Gut.
Ken, I've been wondering the same thing. I got in touch with Gerold Genssler in Berlin (the Velvet Strings alum and bassist behind the new -- and fantastic -- Sonores line of gut bass strings), and Gerold would be happy to make a low B. Having played for a few months on his long C/E on my 4-string, I'm very interested in trying it.

The Sonores "Drago Basso" (modern orchestra) wound-gut C/E is a very loud string, easy to bow, and no thicker than the Evah C/E.

If anyone can meet your challenge on a low B, my guess is that it's Gerold and Sonores. I'm sure it won't be cheap, but I expect that it will be well worth it.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Junior Posting Member

Update -- I've ordered a set of the Genssler/Sonores Drago Basso wound guts for my Elias 5-string. I will be very interested in how the B string plays. Will post more once it arrives and I've played it a bit.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete George View Post
Update -- I've ordered a set of the Genssler/Sonores Drago Basso wound guts for my Elias 5-string. I will be very interested in how the B string plays. Will post more once it arrives and I've played it a bit.
Guts on a 5er? Wow, that's brave. They couldn't get a sound out of the E some 200 years ago and you're gonna try a gut B?

Well, depending on the 'gut core/wound silver' ratio it might work but even with full steels we have trouble with B strings..

Good luck.. let us know.

Also, new basses do not speak as clear on the bottom as older more seasoned instruments do.

A double challenge in my mind but then again, I don't know your bass at all. Just a guess.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Also, new basses do not speak as clear on the bottom as older more seasoned instruments do.
Evidence? Or just opinion?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb well..

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Evidence? Or just opinion?
Well, let me put this in better words then.

In my opinion, most new basses do not sound as well as they can as they will when they get old.

I have seen most new basses improve in tone and depth as they mature. Better made basses out of the 'shoot' are good on day one. On year 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 or 30, they are even better if maintained and played.

Older basses that are restored and have new wood in them mature and sound better than off the bench within 1-3 years. If rescued from older bad repair work, they can sound better straight off the bench. Still in that case, they will be even better after a few years when all of the repairs have 'gelled-in' with the older parts of the bass living as one.

I would have to say Arnold that my comment is part un-clear, part opinion and part experience.

If I didn't believe in the possibility of new Basses, I wouldn't have ordered one!

But hey, I have more experience with older basses and sometimes these sound best just before they are about to fall apart. That's where you come in... lol .. Heelllppppp
Old 05-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Well done.