Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 05-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road
Post Belt Buckle Scratches: Avoidance Ideas, Anyone?

Hey Folks!

As you know, I'm one of the newest Ken Smith owners, and I must say I'm having a total blast on my beauty!

While polishing Cathyrn II last night after Praise Teamrehearsal, I noticed just a few belt buckle scratches. How do you folks handle this? Is it to be categorized as a normal part of wear that comes with playing, or should I take steps now to cover up my buckle when I play?

I'm really not overly disturbed by this. However, if there's something I should be looking out for with regard to this, I'll do it! Thanks.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

I don't wear a belt. problem solved

Another useful trick, if dress code allows it, is to simply untuck your shirt and let it cover your buckle.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 05-05-2007, 12:54 AM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Position!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
Hey Folks!

As you know, I'm one of the newest Ken Smith owners, and I must say I'm having a total blast on my beauty!

While polishing Cathyrn II last night after Praise Teamrehearsal, I noticed just a few belt buckle scratches. How do you folks handle this? Is it to be categorized as a normal part of wear that comes with playing, or should I take steps now to cover up my buckle when I play?

I'm really not overly disturbed by this. However, if there's something I should be looking out for with regard to this, I'll do it! Thanks.
Ronson, I position my bass just high enough so that the lower extremity of the bass is above my waist, so that I wont scratch the back of my bass. This position is comfortable for me because of my playing style. If you play more like a rock bassist then you might run into the issue of scratches, most rock bassist position thier bass lower.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:30 AM
Junior Posting Member

Paul Phillips is on a distinguished road
Default buckle rash!!!

What I do is turn my belt buckle to the side a little so it does not dig into the back of the bass, And you still have the belt to help!!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Posting Member

Dennis Michaels is on a distinguished road

I play without a belt...no comments please. I do have a friend that cut up a strap and made a belt buckle cover.
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Tone matters so play the best through the best.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Michaels View Post
I play without a belt...no comments please.
LOL! Oh, the temptation.....too funny Dennis!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 06-22-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Posting Member

Steve_M is on a distinguished road

I tend to fasten my belt further to one side or untuck my t-shirt/shirt.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Posting Member

Dennis Michaels is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
LOL! Oh, the temptation.....too funny Dennis!
I know, I know... but thanks for letting it be.
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Tone matters so play the best through the best.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

If you see some vintage photos of the Monkeys that show Peter Tork wearing a belt, you will see something that has certainly been wrongly attributed to 60's pop fashion. His belt is buckled with a huge buckle that is rotated far around to the side. It was not a fashion statement. Peter did this to protect his bass. What I do is go without a belt (at the risk ...) or if I must have one on, I use a braided belt I found that has all leather covered hardware so there is no bare metal. I don't know where to get one because this one I picked up in a vintage clothing store, but someone told me that women's belts are made this way. And I'm thinking, OK, so I'm wearing a woman's belt???

Another thing to watch for if you wear jeans is the rivets. I have recently gone to painter or carpenter style jeans that have no rivets. The rivets are small and sneaky but can put some bad scratches on a glossy finish.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Senior Posting Member

I don't really wear the bass that low, and I typically wear shirts that are long enough to cover the top of my jeans so rivets are not an issue.

The biggest source of marks on my basses if the fact I mainly wear button down the front shirts, and the buttons will scuff the wood a little. It's pretty mild in contrast to other sources of rash, but it's there.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 11-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Junior Posting Member

James Watkins is on a distinguished road

I have found the soulution. Google "scratch pad guitar finish protector". These are about $20.00 and they work great!

James Watkins
Old 03-25-2008, 01:47 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jeff Jenkins is on a distinguished road

Since the bass is finished with Oil, you can use a light grade of steel wool pad from Lowes or Home Depot #0000 grade preferably to lightly take the scratches out without going very deep into the finish. Belt buckle rash is really not that big of a deal to players, its just a fact of life. Now, collectors see it in a whole new light, because they are looking to own the bass for awhile, take a few pics with it, and then sell it or trade later for a profit, or a new G.A.S. acquisition. Nothing wrong with that, I do it too, but if you intend on playing your Smith live, dents, scratches, and buckle rash are to be expected and should you decide to sell it or trade it later on, its still going to be worth a little something, for sure!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jenkins View Post
Since the bass is finished with Oil, you can use a light grade of steel wool pad from Lowes or Home Depot #0000 grade preferably to lightly take the scratches out without going very deep into the finish. Belt buckle rash is really not that big of a deal to players, its just a fact of life. Now, collectors see it in a whole new light, because they are looking to own the bass for awhile, take a few pics with it, and then sell it or trade later for a profit, or a new G.A.S. acquisition. Nothing wrong with that, I do it too, but if you intend on playing your Smith live, dents, scratches, and buckle rash are to be expected and should you decide to sell it or trade it later on, its still going to be worth a little something, for sure!
No.......

Guys, Steel wool of any grade can take the finish off down to the wood. Scratches down to the wood can not be taken out that way. Only a re-finish can. Even re-waxing at best might only help hide the marks and mars.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Senior Posting Member

I'm thinking I would stab myself in the face with a red hot ice pick before I took steel wool of any kind to my Smith!

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 09-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Posting Member

Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols
Default Slap scratches

I noticed that under the G string, there is about 1 inch square or something that is basically scracthes due to slapping. Now I rectified the situation by makng sure my nails are cut before I play, but is there anyway I can make those scratches go away?
Old 09-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Senior Posting Member

Well, since my last post I have found a nice belt that has no exposed metal buckle parts. It is manufactured by Red Cap Industries in the USA from top grain cowhide for use in the automobile maintenance field where a buckle that would scratch a car's finish shouldn't be worn.

It is available from many suppliers, but I got mine from Automotive Workwear, Inc. They have an online store and the price is quite reasonable and the belt looks like any nice black leather belt. Look for scratchless buckle belt or no-scratch belt on their web site. These have a nice flat face of leather with no exposed metal. Two hooks on the back fasten the belt. The finish will get rubbed off the belt by the guitar (and that's OK) but a bit of shoe polish takes care of that.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Posting Member

Jason Mendelson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jason Mendelson Send a message via MSN to Jason Mendelson

not sure how mine happened but they do... i keep my bass higher than my belt buckle... when I play upright I have my belt buckle on the side of me...

I think its from the keys in my pocket maybe?

Old 10-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Senior Posting Member

I had been tediously careful about my buckle only to find that it was rivets in my Levi's that were doing the smaller damage. So I no longer wear riveted jeans. The Red Cap belt I got is working really well so far.