Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > The Bull Pit

View Poll Results: Which browser are you currently using?
Mozilla Firefox 28 65.12%
Internet Explorer 10 23.26%
Opera 0 0%
Netscape's Browser 0 0%
Safari 2 4.65%
Other 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Mike Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Mozilla Firefox 3.0, best Fx to date!

This came up earlier and thought I may as well make a thread about it. For those of you unaware, Firefox, is a web browser like Microsoft's Internet Explorer or Netscape's Navigator.

So what makes Fx (abbreviation for Firefox) any different? One word; Security. Last year, Internet Explorer was considered in an "insecure" state 284 days out of 365. Firefox, about 9 days, and then a patch was released to fix the problem. You can read more on that at Wikipedia's Firefox Page.

Firefox also is widely supported by the community with add-ons and themes you can apply to the browser to change the way it looks, feels, and functions. I also think it has a very clean and easy to use interface, haven't found anyone who cant say the same yet.

One extra thing it does for you, that is something new I've seen in browsers, is its own built in spell checker, which is VERY useful on forums like this or anything else you may need to type something out in. It's just like working in a word processor, when a word is misspelled, it will be underlined in red and you can right click it, which gives you a list of suggestions, or, you can add it to the dictionary so it doesn't come up misspelled again!

So for those of you willing to make the switch, check out Firefox's Page and download and install it, I'm sure you'll love it.

btw, if you worried about losing all your IE favorites, upon installation, Fx gives you the option to import settings from IE including home page and your favorites.

Update:

While we're here talking about security, I think I'll make a note on how to keep your windows installation up to date (for those of you running windows of course). This should be relevant for all of you running Windows 98 and up, with IE version 5.5 and higher I think it is, any lower and windows update will not work properly.

The easiest way to keep windows up to date, is running what's called "Windows Update" (Wikipedia's explanation of it) , a service provided to all legit copies of Windows from Microsoft and will download all the latest patches and fixes for Windows and/or other Microsoft applications (including Office).

In order to do this, simply open up IE, yes will ONLY work using IE and only thing I personally use IE for, and go to http://www.windowsupdate.com/ . From there, you can select either Express or Custom. Express will go ahead and get all the "High Priority" fixes and allow you to install those, while Custom will give you choice of which updates to install and also access to get driver/software/hardware updates.

Automatic Updates (accessible through your computer's Control Panel) automates this process if you're running Windows XP and will download and/or install these updates for you at any time you like.

If your having any issues/suggestions with either this or the main site, either pm or email me and I'll get back to you on that.

Can't find something on the main page or the forum? Try our new KSB Site Search.

Last edited by Mike Smith; 09-14-2007 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Updated Poll
Old 01-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jim Clark is on a distinguished road

Firefox all the way. A satisfied user for the past year and a half. I'll also mention its companion mail client, Mozilla Thunderbird. Outlook hasn't worked worth a ---- for a long time. It's amazing how many inconveniences computer users have become accustomed to because of unreliable applications. Imagine how rich Bill Gates would be if his stuff worked consistently...
Old 01-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Imagine how rich Bill Gates would be if his stuff worked consistently...
I'm sure he's rich enough no matter how his applications are doing nowadays! He has still got windows, and now windows Vista is out, which has some very mixed opinions ranging from "awesome" to "worst os since windows ME". Personally, I have tried RC1 of vista (haven't had the time to finish installing the final build) and must say, there's a lot of "eye candy", but not a lot past that. Have fun finding drivers for it, and you'll really hate attempting to find drivers for 64 bit vista

On Thunderbird, I do hear a lot of great things about it, when I decide to stray away from webmail services I will definitely be using Thunderbird
, but I like the idea of bringing my mail box with me everywhere I go.

If your having any issues/suggestions with either this or the main site, either pm or email me and I'll get back to you on that.

Can't find something on the main page or the forum? Try our new KSB Site Search.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:30 AM
Junior Posting Member

Kam Markworth is on a distinguished road

Wow, I didn't even know Firefox 2.0 was out. I just upgraded and like the new features. Spell check is great for boards like this!
Old 01-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam Markworth View Post
Wow, I didn't even know Firefox 2.0 was out. I just upgraded and like the new features. Spell check is great for boards like this!
If you really want to be on edge, you'd grab 3.0 alpha

From what I hear it's mostly internal (code) improvements, but the layouts the same, not sure exactly though, haven't tried it out myself!

Old 03-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Posting Member

Steve_M is on a distinguished road

I use firefox-based Flock for posting to webforums because its integrated with Photobucket, so I can manage my images conveniently. Flock is on V2.0 as well and you can use most of the Fx extensions.

The only issue I had with it was the lack of browsing history but they've put a limited list under the Go menu now.

http://www.flock.com
Old 03-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
The only issue I had with it was the lack of browsing history but they've put a limited list under the Go menu now.

http://www.flock.com
by that you mean of flock or the browser?

Old 03-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Posting Member

flock IS the browser Its a customised version of firefox.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
flock IS the browser Its a customised version of firefox.
oh.. i thought flock was just an add-on/extension..

Old 03-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Posting Member

install it and have a play with it maybe?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Administrator

I'll think about it

Old 04-07-2007, 04:11 AM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Why does it say 'All cookies cleared!' when I log out? Do we all get different 'farewell' messages? Down Here (NZ) cookies are generally called 'biscuits'.
Is it possible to change the farewell to 'All biscuits cleared!'?
Old 04-07-2007, 04:51 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question Biscuits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
Why does it say 'All cookies cleared!' when I log out? Do we all get different 'farewell' messages? Down Here (NZ) cookies are generally called 'biscuits'.
Is it possible to change the farewell to 'All biscuits cleared!'?
Richard, maybe you should do a search and give us all the world wide possibilities for this clearing. Maybe in the UK it's 'Muffins'?

In New York it's probably something like 'all junk cleared'...
Old 04-07-2007, 04:55 AM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Richard, maybe you should do a search and give us all the world wide possibilities for this clearing. Maybe in the UK it's 'Muffins'?

In New York it's probably something like 'all junk cleared'...
Maye you should just list the ingredients.
'All gluten, flour, milk, peanuts and butter cleared, after 45 minutes in an oven!'
Old 04-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up iMacros!

I just discovered this extension by the name of iMacros for Firefox. This add-on lets you record repetitious actions and save them so you can just simply run the macro, and let it run lightning fast without you having to do anything

I find this useful when checking email, because there are a few different providers I check, so now, I simply open up a new window, run the macro, and a few seconds later, I can view all my emails, without having to enter in any info at all I had to play around with it at first to figure out how to work it, but now, seems fairly simple

Same thing goes for checking various forums, simply open up a new window and then begin running the macro, a few seconds later I'm all logged in and good to go.

Only issue I see with it is that if your macro requires multiple tabs, you must open the correct number of tabs first and be sure the first tab is focused before running the macro, other than that, I love this extension

Old 05-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Senior Posting Member

stan haskins is on a distinguished road
Default Firefox deleting itself

hey Mike (or any other tech-savy person) -

Do you have any idea why Firefox would delete itself? I'm running OSX 10.4 on my wife's MacBook, and we've installed Firefox four times now. It keeps deleting itself on shutdown.

Not interested in browsing tech sites (spent too much time doing it in the 90's) -

Stan
Old 05-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan haskins View Post
hey Mike (or any other tech-savy person) -

Do you have any idea why Firefox would delete itself? I'm running OSX 10.4 on my wife's MacBook, and we've installed Firefox four times now. It keeps deleting itself on shutdown.

Not interested in browsing tech sites (spent too much time doing it in the 90's) -

Stan

Stan, do you have Spyware software installed and scheduled to run routinely? If so, it is possible that Firefox (among other "considered" threats) is Quarantined until you re-boot. Upon that time, anything Quarantined is most-likely deleted.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Administrator

I'm not really sure as I'm not familiar with Mac systems really... I don't think it would hurt though to try a Google search somewhere along the lines of 'Firefox uninstallation on reboot of Mac OS X.' I also wasn't really aware that Macs got spyware/viruses too often either..

Old 05-05-2007, 02:43 AM
Posting Member

Robert Prowse is on a distinguished road
Default firefox

It's nice to have the weather but is it just me or is firefox slower and has hiccups ...
Old 05-05-2007, 04:17 AM
Posting Member

Not for me - I used Firefox for general webbrowsing and Flock for forums.