Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Classical/Arco

Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Jargar's, again..

Hi, I have discussed these strings in the past and recently bought a set to try on one of the basses when I get the chance. I just finished putting them on my Hart bass which had some old Belcanto's on it. As I remember, the Jargar strings have heavier bottom strings as compared to some other brands, especially the E's. The Belcanto E/C was about .110 and the Jargar (medium/blue) E/C measured about .115. I had to re-notch my top nut on the extension to widen and lower it about a mm.

They Bow smooth and sound rich. When I first played the Passione's I may have commented that they reminded me of the Jargar's smoothness. The Gauges however are quite a bit beefier. I have used only the Medium and Heavy Jargars. I think I should also try the lighter/green silked set as well one of these days. Almost every brand I have tried, the E/C is usually a bit beefier in gauge than the regular non-extension E string.

I have 2 more rehearsals this week and then a concert so I think I will bring the Hart with this new set of Jargars on it. It's all Opera excerpts and some overtures. Last night was the first rehearsal and I brought my Neuner bass which I used Sunday as well on a different Orchestra gig. The Neuner has Flexocor 92 Starks on it. The bass itself is punchy, loud and deep. Almost too non-romantic for this Opera stuff. I am sure I can tame the Neuner with a different string but with some much booommm, pluummee type pizz work, I need more of that wide spread 'butterball' sound and less German edge.

Do any of you guys have experience with Jargars? Any of the gauges, with or without extensions? Your comments are welcomed.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:05 AM
Joshua phelps

Default String question

What does a set of these go for?
Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 AM
Joshua phelps

Default Rosin question

Also, what is your favorite rosin ken?
Old 10-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua phelps View Post
What does a set of these go for?
I will have to look it up but, they are less expensive than most strings. On some basses, they will sound a bit 'thuddy' and with little sustain if any for pizz. On other basses, they might just be the perfect match. On my Hart, they are smooth on the top and strong on the bottom, especially the E string. This is an Orchestral string mainly.

Quote:
Also, what is your favorite rosin ken?
For the most part I have been using Kolstein all weather rosin for a several years now. I have also used the new Oak as well as Nyman's Swedish rosin. Those 3 seem to work very similar. When I was selling a lot of the KSB bows I would offer a cake of Kolstein's with it because I was able to get them fairly cheap by the dozen from a wholesaler. Now I have a few cakes of Nymen's in the cabinet to use when the Kolstein runs out as I have one cake at home for practice and one in my bag for gigs. In the shop I have a small cake of Nymen's left that I picked up at the ISB in 2009. It was left on my Bow table and never claimed. I think it works as good as the Kolstein's and I don't have to buy a dozen or two to get a good price on them.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Joshua phelps

Default Rosin

I like oak rosin as well. I want to try new strings before I buy a new set, pretty nerve racking really. I have spirocores on now & am pretty satisfied but am always wondering if there are better strings. Arco is all I play (unless I'm doing pizz to learn a piece with difficult bowing to start).
Old 10-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Default Spiros?

Quote:
I like oak rosin as well. I want to try new strings before I buy a new set, pretty nerve racking really. I have spirocores on now & am pretty satisfied but am always wondering if there are better strings. Arco is all I play (unless I'm doing pizz to learn a piece with difficult bowing to start).
You play mainly with bow and use Spiros? What is it you look for in your sound?

In USA, very few players use Spirocore for Orchestra. Some use the Solo set for solo/orchestra tuning back and forth. The norm is Flexocors and Belcantos. Other Pirastro brands and some other bowing strings. When you can, go see a professional orchestra and try to see which sets the bass players are using. Also note how the play and dig in as well with the bow when the music requires. A string is usually matched to a bass for a player. I used Spiros many years ago but on a very old smooth deep dark Italian bass. One a brighter bass, it woukd just sound too harsh with the bow in comparison.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Joshua phelps

Default Strings

Yeah I know spirocores are a little weird for arco & are loved by jazz players but they are what came on my current Shen bass. That being said they bow better than helicore orchestra strings. I might just try to get a different set of thomastiks more suited for orchestra playing this next time.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Thom's?

Quote:
Yeah I know spirocores are a little weird for arco & are loved by jazz players but they are what came on my current Shen bass. That being said they bow better than helicore orchestra strings. I might just try to get a different set of thomastiks more suited for orchestra playing this next time.
Then I suggest the Belcanto's which bow great and pizz fairly well on most basses. One of my favorite strings now.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Then I suggest the Belcanto's which bow great and pizz fairly well on most basses. One of my favorite strings now.
Hi Ken and Joshua,
Funnily enough I'm using Spiros (Weichs) on my main bass and doing lots of bowing. They really do sound great. I've got old Bel Canti on my other bass, but I'm about to replace them with EP Weichs.
I started my main bass (when I acquired it) with EPs (orchestral) and Bel Canti, but the spiros give a lovely sound on that bass. I recently played some duets with a guy who was using EP Weichs and my bowing sound seemed at least as good as his. I know I'm not playing in an orchestra, but those Spiros are staying on that bass, and I'll be bowing them a lot. I guess I've gone for EP Weichs on the other bass because I haven't got time for a set of Spiros to settle - I've got a concert approaching fast and my main bass goes through periods of having creaking problems. So the other bass has to be ready, like a first five eight in the All Blacks.
Well, I assume you guys are following the rugby world cup and know that Dan Carter is out with a groin injury.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Joshua phelps

Default Chat

Hey Richard nice to meet you. I defiantly agree, with the right bass,bow,rosin & technique they sound and bow pretty well. I'm gonna take kens advice for my next set & see if they have more of a pure arco sound.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Pure Arco sound?

Quote:
Hey Richard nice to meet you. I defiantly agree, with the right bass,bow,rosin & technique they sound and bow pretty well. I'm gonna take kens advice for my next set & see if they have more of a pure arco sound.
There is no IF about it concerning Belcantos PURE smooth Arco sound. The majority of the high end professionally used Orchestra basses in use I am willing to speculate either have one of the Pirastro bowing sets on the or Belcantos. When Belcantos came out, it hit the Orchestra bass world like a major storm. Probably the biggest switch from other strings since people gave up Guts for Steels. Many have gone back to Pirastros but not all. At the last ISB bass making competition all but two of the basses had Belcantos. One of the Judges told one of the two makers that he should have put Balcantos on the bass. Maybe for testing comparisons but that's what he said. All the other builders put on Belcantos independently of each other. This is because of the great demand by professional orchestral bassists requesting them.

Some basses work better with other strings and you never know until you try them all in one way or another. Also, not all bassists play the same or want the same sound so that's another reason why there are so many types of strings used for the same type of job.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:24 AM
Joshua phelps

Default Bass strings

I really want to get these strings ASAP.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Posting Member

Eduardo Barbosa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You play mainly with bow and use Spiros? What is it you look for in your sound?

In USA, very few players use Spirocore for Orchestra. Some use the Solo set for solo/orchestra tuning back and forth. The norm is Flexocors and Belcantos. Other Pirastro brands and some other bowing strings. When you can, go see a professional orchestra and try to see which sets the bass players are using. Also note how the play and dig in as well with the bow when the music requires. A string is usually matched to a bass for a player. I used Spiros many years ago but on a very old smooth deep dark Italian bass. One a brighter bass, it woukd just sound too harsh with the bow in comparison.

OT,
A little while back I acquired a Upton Hawkes and after trying EP's regular and lights, Obligatos, Helicores hybrids and orchestra, and Zyex, I ended up settling on Spiros medium gauge for Orchestra. Go figure?!... They sound great on that bass for whatever strange reason.
BTW, I did get them on ebay for $27! the seller said they were anywhere between 6 to 10 years old. still in great shape, but they've lost some of the nasal qualities and harshness.
Also, I must say that every once in a while I get an email from an orchestra player asking if I have an old set of spiros, being that they know I play mainly jazz!
Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb spiros..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Barbosa View Post
OT,
A little while back I acquired a Upton Hawkes and after trying EP's regular and lights, Obligatos, Helicores hybrids and orchestra, and Zyex, I ended up settling on Spiros medium gauge for Orchestra. Go figure?!... They sound great on that bass for whatever strange reason.
BTW, I did get them on ebay for $27! the seller said they were anywhere between 6 to 10 years old. still in great shape, but they've lost some of the nasal qualities and harshness.
Also, I must say that every once in a while I get an email from an orchestra player asking if I have an old set of spiros, being that they know I play mainly jazz!
Ok, so drifting off topic here but good info..

Years and years ago talking to another bassist he tells me he puts on new Spiros every 6 months (this was back in the 70s). I said "really, why?" He replied, "because I like that fresh sound", or something to that effect. My thoughts then (any maybe now IF the formula is exactly the same as then) was that in 6 months they are just starting to break in for me. Maybe I should of just used his old strings. I have had 20 year old Spiros on some basses and they work fairly good on some basses. Buy a new set and OUCH, turn off the chain saw.... ...
Old 10-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Ok, so drifting off topic here but good info..

Years and years ago talking to another bassist he tells me he puts on new Spiros every 6 months (this was back in the 70s). I said "really, why?" He replied, "because I like that fresh sound", or something to that effect. My thoughts then (any maybe now IF the formula is exactly the same as then) was that in 6 months they are just starting to break in for me. Maybe I should of just used his old strings. I have had 20 year old Spiros on some basses and they work fairly good on some basses. Buy a new set and OUCH, turn off the chain saw.... ...
Main bass creaking again, so had to play the Bel Canti today. They sound fine. I have to do a recording (pizz) on Friday - if the EP Weichs haven't arrived, I'm sure the BC will be fine. Really, for me, I guess that all these strings have their own strengths. I like them all and, if only one was available, I'd get by fine.
Sorry, back to topic.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Joshua phelps

Default String change

On a side note I wanted to ask you all since I don't have a reputable Luthier anywhere near me how do you guys swap your strings? Is it ok to do them one at a time? If I do it that way do I risk cracking my top or having to fool with my sound post?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
On a side note I wanted to ask you all since I don't have a reputable Luthier anywhere near me how do you guys swap your strings? Is it ok to do them one at a time? If I do it that way do I risk cracking my top or having to fool with my sound post?
Josh, this is just what I do and many here will have more expert advice. I do things in twos: G & D then E & A. I change the G, loosening the D a bit if I have to to get the G string wound nicely. Then I tighten it and do the D. Again, I can loosen the G a bit if it's in the way. Once they're both tightened I do the same for the E & A.
If I'm putting on Jargars, then the thread gets back on topic. (A little joke there Josh).

Last edited by Richard Prowse; 10-10-2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: 'is' left out, silly me!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bin Hire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
Josh, this is just what I do and many here will have more expert advice. I do things in twos: G & D then E & A. I change the G, loosening the D a bit if I have to to get the G string wound nicely. Then I tighten it and do the D. Again, I can loosen the G a bit if it's in the way. Once they're both tightened I do the same for the E & A.
If I'm putting on Jargars, then the thread gets back on topic. (A little joke there Josh).
Hi Joshua, that's pretty much how I change strings too. Richard, nice little joke.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:21 AM
Joshua phelps

Default Jagars

Some of the best discussions come by way of Segway
Old 10-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bin Hire is on a distinguished road

Seg what? Seg what?