Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Amps, etc. [DB]

Old 04-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Posting Member

Flint Buchanan is on a distinguished road
Default BassMax vs Revolution Solo II

Since this is the safe forum to post this kind of question-what, really, is the diff between a bassmax and a rev solo. They're both piezo elements sandwiched in the wings of a bridge. How different can they sound?

For disclosure I have the Bassmax currently and have just bouight the K&K golden trinity mic to help round out my sound.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Posting Member

Greg Clinkingbeard is on a distinguished road

I've never tried the BassMax, but the RSII is a good pickup that sounds very natural. Good output with minimal feedback and clarity when properly fitted. It can be a bit finicky to get just right. I just fitted my second one tonight and it sounds very good at home. Let's see how it does tomorrow out.

BTW, I like your signature. James Carville once said,"There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow lines and dead Armadillos".
Old 04-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Junior Posting Member

Bob Rowlette is on a distinguished road

Hi Flint,

I have owned and used the K&K Bass Max as well as the Revolution Solo II. Although to me there are similarities with the characteristic sound of bridge wing-mounted pickups in general, these two particular pickups are at close to opposite ends of the spectrum. The K&K Bass Max is one of the highest output pickups on the market, while the RS2 is medium output. The K&K has a very strong focused sound, almost like a bass guitar sound, while the RS2's sound is very open and more mic like. The Bass Max has rather high freedom from feedback, while the RS2 is just average here. The Bass Max's output is also of opposite polarity to most other pickups including the RS2. I always used a phase reverse with the K&K Bass Max, but not everyone is sensitive to this.

All in all, these are both good, usable pickups. Of the two, I personally prefer the RS2.

-bob
Old 04-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Posting Member

Bob Branstetter is on a distinguished road

In my continuing search for the Holy Grail of pickups, I have tried both the K&K Bass Max and the RSII. Neither one of these sounded particularly good on my personal bass. The K&K sounded too much like a Fishman B100 and to me the RSII was only slightly better than the Underwood. The RSII is a good buy for $100, but it is not the end all that I've seen some write on the other bass forum. The guys at Upton came up with a good idea when they took a piezo element and fitted & glued it inside a piece of spruce. I think the coupling of the spruce to the maple of the bridge may be why it sounds better than some of the other cheaper pickups. I took one apart and discovered that the difference between the "R" side and the other is that there is more wood on one side than the other. I think it might be interesting to take an old Fishman B100 pickup and fit the elements inside blocks of spruce like the RSII and see how it sounds.

If there is one truth that I've discovered over the years about pickups, it is that there is no pickup that works well on all basses. Just because a pickup sounds good on my bass doesn't mean it is going to sound good on yours. I've had some basses where the David Gage Realist pickup sounds absolutely magnificent and others basses where it sounds terrible. The same thing has occurred with Schertlers and just about every pickup I've ever owned.

I'm currently using a Fishman Full Circle that I mix with an AMT S25B mic. I don't like the Full Circle alone, but it does mix well with the mic. I've never heard any pickup, with the possible exception of the Schertler Dyn-B, that really sounds like a mic. (Any time you see or hear someone saying that a particular piezo pickup sounds like a mic, ask them if they have ever actually used a mic on their bass.)
Old 04-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Posting Member

Greg Clinkingbeard is on a distinguished road

Gotta agree with Bob on this. After playing two gigs in the last week with my 'New' RSII, I don't think it's the Holy Grail; merely a nice sounding pickup for a reasonable price. Plugging it directly into the GK MB150 sounds pretty good and is a 'no hassle' solution. I don't need a preamp. It does remind me in some ways of a more natural 'woody' sounding Underwood, although the Underwood may be a bit punchier.
But, I think the price is reasonable and it certainly gets the job done.
My sound is good enough now that I don't worry about equipment too much.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Posting Member

Flint Buchanan is on a distinguished road

I really appreciate all the input.

I have recieved my golden trinity mic with Bassmax, and am trying to figure out how to deal with this new fangled microphone thing. It definately is an improvement over the bassmax alone, and I guess that's what I was looking for.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Pick-up..

I have found that the Shadow Pick-up (Underwood style) is the easiest and most versatile for me. I fit most of my Bridges for the Shadow just in case I decide to use a particular Bass for a gig. I have used quite a few of my deep dark sounding Orchestra Basses for Jazz (or amplified concerts) besides using my other Jazz-type sounding Basses and found that the Shadow pick-up works on every Bass I have tried it on.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Junior Posting Member

Bob Rowlette is on a distinguished road

There's no doubt that all pickups are a compromise (and there is no holy grail). Finding a pickup that is a compromise that you can live with is the best you can hope for.

I've also tried lots of mics, and a good dynamic like the Shure Beta 56 works best for me.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Posting Member

Bob Branstetter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlette View Post
.I've also tried lots of mics, and a good dynamic like the Shure Beta 56 works best for me.
I've heard several good reports on the Shure Beta 56 and the price is less than a third of what the AMT S25B goes for. How do you mount the Beta 56 on your bass?

What I like about the AMT (other than the great sound) is the long goose neck that lets me put the mic on the sweet spot under the fingerboard when used with a tailpiece mount. Plus it has a built-in shock mount. I can leave it on all the time and just plug it in when I'm on the job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AMT0025.JPG
Views:	1708
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	167  

Last edited by Bob Branstetter; 04-13-2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jasper Bos is on a distinguished road
Default pick up (fwf), bass-max like

Hi,

I just joined, and also just fitted a new pickup to my bass (carved roundback 1950s german bass). Currently I use the new FWF pickup (165 euro in the netherlands), with 2 pieces that are slotted between the bridge wings, one on the treble and one on the bass side. Interesting feature is that the piece on the bass side is much larger than on the treble side. Anyhow, this thing really works for me sounds very natural and even accross the board, which contrasts a bit with some the more dissappointing reviews I read on FWF pickups. I guess it shows again that each pickup might perform completely different on each bass.

Just to confirm this, i tried the FWF pickup on my EUB and ran into huge phase-problems, making the pickup sound horrible)

cheers,

Jasper
Old 07-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper Bos View Post
Hi,

I just joined, and also just fitted a new pickup to my bass (carved roundback 1950s german bass). Currently I use the new FWF pickup (165 euro in the netherlands), with 2 pieces that are slotted between the bridge wings, one on the treble and one on the bass side. Interesting feature is that the piece on the bass side is much larger than on the treble side. Anyhow, this thing really works for me sounds very natural and even accross the board, which contrasts a bit with some the more dissappointing reviews I read on FWF pickups. I guess it shows again that each pickup might perform completely different on each bass.

Just to confirm this, i tried the FWF pickup on my EUB and ran into huge phase-problems, making the pickup sound horrible)

cheers,

Jasper
Hi, Jasper. Welcome to the forum. Earlier today I was looking at the SD systems microphones on the web. I am interested in any reports on the LCM 100 XLR mic, which is produced in Amsterdam. I started a thread on mini condensers, so you might want to put something there if you know anything about them. They look interesting but in USA there is only one dealer and he only carries the horn models.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:52 AM
Junior Posting Member

Michal Herman is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I will join thread to not create similar one.
I am about to buy new DB (hybrid Strunal) and I am wondering which pickup to choose. As I see in thread RSII is overall more often suggested than Bass Max.
But I live in Poland and RSII can ce bought only in USA. When I calculate shipping costs, for me, RSII from Upton is almost twice as cost of Bass Max from Thomann.
Do you think difference in sound quality is so significant, that it's worth extra money?
I plan to plug it directly into GK MB150S combo.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:59 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Herman View Post
Hi,
I will join thread to not create similar one.
I am about to buy new DB (hybrid Strunal) and I am wondering which pickup to choose. As I see in thread RSII is overall more often suggested than Bass Max.
But I live in Poland and RSII can ce bought only in USA. When I calculate shipping costs, for me, RSII from Upton is almost twice as cost of Bass Max from Thomann.
Do you think difference in sound quality is so significant, that it's worth extra money?
I plan to plug it directly into GK MB150S combo.
Don't buy something at 2x the price. Get what is cheaper. You can fix the sound with the amp eq.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:23 AM
Junior Posting Member

Michal Herman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Don't buy something at 2x the price. Get what is cheaper. You can fix the sound with the amp eq.
Thank you for response. That's what I will do :-)