Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > Italian Bass School

Old 09-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Posting Member

Abe Gumroyan is on a distinguished road
Default Cornerless basses

Ken or any of the other gentleman,

How many corner-less double basses have you seen in your careers? I've only seen two. One being Fernando Grillo's instrument at a lesson in Italy and the second being my colleague Matt Hare's italian bass (maker unknown). Is Grillo's bass authenticated as Rogeri or is it attributed ? That Storioni looks and probably sounds like a tank ... Ken are you doing anything about the long string length as far as shortening it.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb humm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Gumroyan View Post
Ken or any of the other gentleman,

How many corner-less double basses have you seen in your careers? I've only seen two. One being Fernando Grillo's instrument at a lesson in Italy and the second being my colleague Matt Hare's italian bass (maker unknown). Is Grillo's bass authenticated as Rogeri or is it attributed ? That Storioni looks and probably sounds like a tank ... Ken are you doing anything about the long string length as far as shortening it.
Ok. How many have I seen in person or how many have I played?

Played my attr. Storioni and another Bass I have in restoration which is somewhat of a hybrid Cornerless/Violin model It had one-piece Guitar Ribs but has some small corners with 8 separate carved scalloped blocks mating each corned with the Rib.

Other Cornerless Basses seen in person which were all brief I think numbers 3 of them. One at a glance a few feet away, one on a Bench and one in pieces in restoration. That's all I can remember.

On the Bass you mention being a Rogeri, I don't know if it's real or not. He saw my Bass and said in Italian to me (email) "Beautiful Storioni". So, returning the gesture, 'beautiful Rogeri he has'..

On my Bass is does sound like a Tank. Deep, thick and volume that is almost painful at 15 feet away. It fills the room so well that you can't tell where the sound is coming from as it vibrates everything around it. That is, when there aren't a bunch of open cracks like there is now. The Bass is so powerful that after gluing everything I could find (no patches, only hide glue) within a week of heavy playing, it opened itself up from its own inner air flow vibrations.

The String length is long and after playing it for awhile it feels like all my fingers and everything attached to them were just pulled apart. A 44" String length is only 1" longer from the Nut to the first Octave than on a 42". I can feel the difference between 41", 41 1/4", 41 1/2", 41 3/4" and 42" as I play Basses with all these lengths. I have to adjust each time to every Bass when switching. The Martini I have is 41 1/2" and it feels different than my Hart which is 41 3/4". Maybe there are other factors but I can tell they are different. That being said, a 44" is like a huge difference as far as finding your pitch. It's not just physical, it's musical as well.

The Storioni 'will' get a Block Cut along with a small portion of the Top, Back and Ribs in the Block ares trimmed off just like what was just done to my Mystery English Bass. There was also some brief discussion or mention of this in MY Cornerless Italian/Spanish Bass Thread. Read thru that if you haven't already.

String length alone from Nut to Bridge is not the only factor here. It's what notes are up at the shoulder by the Neck Block, where the D or Eb is on the G-string and where the F# and G octave is as well.

Arnold will be performing this surgery so I have no doubt it will be better than ever. The Bass will be 'fully' restored as well during the process. The Block-cut being only one of many items on the menu!
Old 09-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Posting Member

Abe Gumroyan is on a distinguished road

Ken,

I was just on youtube browsing through videos and came across a video of Edicson Ruiz, the 19 year old bass prodigy from Venezuela now playing in the Berlin Phil, playing a cornerless bass. If you type in Edicson Ruiz Koussevitzsky you will see hime playing all three movements in three different videos. Any ideas on a maker ? Would love to hear what you think after you have viewed it.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

I have been watching the NYPhil/Bernstein "Young People's Concerts" with my four-year-old daughter, thanks to Netflix.

In a couple of the earliest discs, there is a gentleman playing a cornerless bass in the section. Of course, it being the late '50's, the picture is a grainy black and white image.

Questions relating to this thread: who is the bassist, what is that bass, and where is it now?

General query: Ken (or anyone else), do you know who the section members were in the NYPhil during the '60's, when Mr. Brennand was Principal? I recognize some of the bassists, but not that many of them.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question NY & Berlin Phil?

Well, how about some pics of those Basses posted here. Can it be done with the format in which they are shown?

I have no clue about the old section in NY, sorry. Maybe Carlos Henriquez can ask John Schaeffer about that. Carlo??
Old 09-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Junior Posting Member

Stefano Senni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Stefano Senni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Gumroyan View Post
Ken,

I was just on youtube browsing through videos and came across a video of Edicson Ruiz, the 19 year old bass prodigy from Venezuela now playing in the Berlin Phil, playing a cornerless bass. If you type in Edicson Ruiz Koussevitzsky you will see hime playing all three movements in three different videos. Any ideas on a maker ? Would love to hear what you think after you have viewed it.
I saw and tried that bass in a renown bass atelier in Italy a few months ago. It is thought to be a Milanese instrument from circa 1750. The luthier then told me it went sold to Mr Ruiz.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano Senni View Post
I saw and tried that bass in a renown bass atelier in Italy a few months ago. It is thought to be a Milanese instrument from circa 1750. The luthier then told me it went sold to Mr Ruiz.
How was it? What was the sound like, tone, volume, feel, bowing, pizzing?
Old 09-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Junior Posting Member

Stefano Senni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Stefano Senni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
How was it? What was the sound like, tone, volume, feel, bowing, pizzing?
It was fully restored and looked beautiful. It had a great dark tone when bowed but not so loud (It was strung with Velvets 180 orchestra). Tension was somewhat too light for me and pizz was not to die for...Definetly a symphonic bass
Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Posting Member

Drake Chan is on a distinguished road

The bassist in this video of Roy Goodman and Brandenburg Consort's Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 plays a cornerless bass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqjYoLY7yps
Old 07-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question geezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Chan View Post
The bassist in this video of Roy Goodman and Brandenburg Consort's Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 plays a cornerless bass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqjYoLY7yps
Doesn't anyone know how to hold a bow anymore?

Notice that with the Baroque grip, half the Bow is only for show. She is in her own way...
Old 07-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question huh..??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJEd7...eature=related

Sigourney Weaver plays Bass?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Doesn't anyone know how to hold a bow anymore?

Notice that with the Baroque grip, half the Bow is only for show. She is in her own way...
Ken, are you joking? Nancy Urquhart is one of the finest Baroque bassists in the world. Also, for the overhand grip in authentic baroque music, the bow is held at the balance point. This is HOW you hold a baroque bow...It's supposed to be a very light and transparent sound.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Talking lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Marks View Post
Ken, are you joking? Nancy Urquhart is one of the finest Baroque bassists in the world. Also, for the overhand grip in authentic baroque music, the bow is held at the balance point. This is HOW you hold a baroque bow...It's supposed to be a very light and transparent sound.
How's your leg?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How's your leg?
I'm glad you were joking.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:37 AM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Perhaps our own Ken McKay can tell us a bit or two?

In person, I have only seen and heard a Lucarini like the one that is reported stolen at the bottom of the page. Now that was a master degree instrument in every aspect... It was sweeeeet...
Old 07-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Lucarini ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Larsson View Post

In person, I have only seen and heard a Lucarini like the one that is reported stolen at the bottom of the page. Now that was a master degree instrument in every aspect... It was sweeeeet...
I have seem 3 of them now. Two were in pictures including the one that was stolen and one was taken apart in repair. I tried to buy it as-is but time will tell if the owner gets the bass fixed or decides to sell it un-repaired.

Most of the Guitar Basses I have seen are quite small, 3/4 size at best. The one I have is a big 3/4 or small 7/8ths in the body/neck length but with the FFs placed so low it has a 4/4 string length of 44 1/2", about 113cm. In restoration, that will be shortened via a neck block cut.

Joel, what type of information were you looking for as fat as the statement you made here?
Quote:
Old 07-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Not any particular, I guess. It just seemed as if our Ken had dug up a whole lot of info about the topic.

I think the Lucarini I saw was priced at about €100k. But you probably knew that. If you can get hold of one like it, you're in for a nice treat.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Larsson View Post
Not any particular, I guess. It just seemed as if our Ken had dug up a whole lot of info about the topic.

I think the Lucarini I saw was priced at about €100k. But you probably knew that. If you can get hold of one like it, you're in for a nice treat.
I don't know what Ken McKay dug up other than the pictures. That you will have to ask him. On the Lucarini, I am not looking to buy one. Only that I saw one apart sitting idle so I asked if it was for sale as-is. We never got to talk money on it. It was just a casual inquiry.

On having a good sounding Cornerless bass, I happen to own two of them. One of them being a bass I will put up against 'anything' you can find. The other is a good old Italian but was in poor shape when I bought it so I don't know all its potential. Just that it sounded good, sweet and Italian. Both of my Cornerless old Italians are in restoration now. I do not expect to see them back here this year. Until then, I will just play the Martini.