Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > The Bull Pit

Old 04-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Posting Member

Steve_M is on a distinguished road
Default Other bass forums...

I'm starting to get fed up with small minded, petty bullies on virtually every bass forum I go to - including the one I run!!

Oh please don't ever let this one tolerate pointless pedantry, antisocial behaviour and cliquey-ness!!

I remember even on The Bottom Line, there was one guy who was an admin who got on everyone's nerves by his exhaustive battling over the most irrelevant points of fact. There's also a member of Bassworld who resigned from being a mod because we'd recieved too many complaints about him antagonising members. We pointed out to him that we'd recieved complaints, that it was making the rest of the team look bad and so asked him what he would be prepared to do. Instead of stepping up to the plate and working with us, he quit instead. Now I believe he's circulating a photo on Talkbass taken from my myspace page which has been retouched to make it look obscene. Ironically, the more he does things like this the more justified I feel in the approach we took with him.

I've alerted the mods on that particular forum on Talkbass but... ...well, I guess all 4 of them aren't not on the internet all the time, are they?

Speaking of Talkbass, I posted a fairly innocuous enquiry about what kinds of basses there are out there which sound like a 70's jazz bass and at the point where the thread starts winding down, I post the bass that I decided to get and one particular user decides to start having a bit of a go at me. I try to reason but get nowhere. So I point out to him that he's just point scoring, but that's like trying to reason with a slow motion avalanche of cold porridge (oatmeal to you merrycans). I didn't do anything to deserve such dreadful treatment! I felt like I was being bullied!

I'm also a bit upset because one of my team at work had a serious stroke over the weekend and he's completely paralysed down his left side. It all feels like its getting on top of me at the moment.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Steve, sorry to hear about your workmate.
You should spend more time on the Down Here (NZ) thread where everyone loves you.
I know I speak for Stan... and 2nd fiddle Rob.

Your pal Richard
Old 04-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Posting Member

Thanks Richard. One of my team recieved a quick phone call from him yesterday (while the nurses weren't looking) and he seems to be recovering. Apparently he just suddenly came over weak on Saturday and collapsed into a chair. They suspect that a stroke was the cause.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
Steve, sorry to hear about your workmate.
You should spend more time on the Down Here (NZ) thread where everyone loves you.
I know I speak for Stan... and 2nd fiddle Rob.

Your pal Richard
Hi Steve. I hope your co-worker is recovering. Strokes are pretty bad and they usually hit two in a row, so be prepared.

For the time, Master Ken has a very civil environment here. So refreshing. So how's the Celinder doing? I didn't keep up with that thread after you purchased. I read up to that point and thought it probably sounded like you got a good J-bass type. It's so strange what people will jump on. I tend to think all Fenders and the copies sound pretty much the same and I don't dare get into that with the Fender heads at TB. Way too much superstition about it all. Of course I have an old P, and it sounds great;- when someone that knows how to play plays it. When a guitarist picks it up, it will make one wonder.

Part of TB is just knowing when to say, OK, whatever. I'm biting on the argumentative types a lot less often over there. It's good practice when someone tries to poke to just let it go. There are reasonable people there also. Sometimes I think the arguments are started just to keep a thread on page 1. And the whole thing seems to be some huge bass marketing hypothetical lately. If you had $1K, and already owned every possible configuration of strings and frets and pick-ups in existence, which SadullaFodulus would you put a down payment on? Get Real!
Old 04-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Posting Member

Hi David, my colleague doesn't seem too upset - he's a very humble guy with an ironic sense of humour. He keeps to himself and seems to have endless reserves of patience so working with him is a breeze. Plus he's very experienced and I can chuck just about any project his way and know that he'll wrestle with it and nail it down somehow. I'm just glad that he seems to be in good spirits.

As for Talkbass, I've gotten Paul involved and so far he's on my side. He did suggest that I was mud slinging as much as the others, but I refuted this given that the topic was my motives for the purchase and I had the right to assert my opinion as fact. Toasted is just emotionally-stunted and lacks any degree of humility. Lets say no more on that. I'm getting fed up with taking cr*p over Bassworld so I may well make this forum the only one I use if the other BW mods don't intervene on my behalf. Looks like I have to book a date in a diary for the TB mods to respond. So slow! We're like lightning on Bassworld by comparison!

Anyways, the Celinder is pretty good. It does a great impersonation of Marcus Miller's bass but I'm not a great fan of Jazz basses if the truth be known. While they're oomphy and snappy, I miss the lower midrange power that Smiths and Musicman basses deliver. I use the Smiths as my every day, first call basses and then the 4 strings I own are all supposed to deliver 'classic' funk bass sounds. I got the Celinder bass simply because I'm setting up a band where the sound is going to be useful for particular songs.

FWIW, I revamped my website over the weekend and added pics:
http://www.freewebs.com/crazykiwi_bass/mybasses.htm

The Celinder is shown there also.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Posting Member

BTW - does anyone else agree that moderating can be a thankless task at times?
Old 04-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
BTW - does anyone else agree that moderating can be a thankless task at times?
I know that keeping the Down Here (NZ0 thread moving along can be tough, especially when Stan Haskins isn't pulling his weight.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:19 AM
Posting Member

Well, we've got an outbreak of paranoia on the forum at the moment. Someone, somewhere has been spreading conspiracy theories about the way in which the site is managed. Looks like I'm going to have to deal with each individual by themselves rather than address the whole forum.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

I don't know if we have moderators here, just mostly moderates.

It's a different little corner here for sure. I'm trying not to take web forums too seriously. But in between the banter, there's good information.

If you are a KSB fan, you are definitely in the right place. I like your web page. Pretty clean design. The fret-less BSR5 is just totally gorgeous. I think that you've got a nice collection there.

So have you met my friend Richard Prowse?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Posting Member

Thanks for your compliments David! The myspace page was put together in an afternoon. I nicked someone elses layout, changed the colours and replaced the banner with one I made earlier. It needed a few changes here and there but works pretty much OK.

Re forums. Its definitely easier to maintain perspective when you're not responsible for running one. I can leave Talkbass behind but I still worry about Bassworld. I don't know why but I guess I like creating something that people appreciate. Thats a massive driver for me in everything that I do.

I'm very satisfied with the collection at the moment. Its at a point where I have all the sounds I think I'm likely to need. My mate Ari's got a stunning collection of colour coordinated MTD's which look like they're straight out of a catalogue when he photographs them. He also owns a lovely Smith BSR5TE BTW.

My collection is a little more eclectic. More concentrated on the sounds I know and like.

I had a chat with my hospitalised colleague today. Poor guy is slurring his speech a little - perhaps because of the stroke. He sounds a little scared as well but is putting a brave face on. Its so hard not to get emotional when I think about him... ...what the heck, thats the british reserve kicking in, I should get emotional about things like this. Its healthy and justified.

He says they're keeping him in over Easter holidays to check the effectiveness of the blood thinning medication they've put him on. If it doesn't work by the end of next week they may decide to operate in order to remove the clots. I don't blame him for being scared.

He hopes to be back at work the week after next. I've just told him to not worry about work. We've got it all covered. If we need to get cover in, we can and when he's ready to return, we'll take him back on without hesitation. His wife is saying that his recovery might take months rather than weeks, but he doesn't know that of course.

I'm not religious at all, but if ever I felt a need for prayers to work, its now.

Last edited by Steve_M; 04-06-2007 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:05 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thinking of you, old mate.
Richard
Old 04-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Posting Member

A bit more of a lighter note, I had a text conversation with my colleague today. He seemed to be bearing up well with no further complications. I asked him if the doctors were going to put him on warfarin (also used as rat poison) to help clear the clots out. He said the doctors were currently trying to calculate what the near-lethal dose was likely to be!

I then asked him if there were going to be any expected side effects and he replied yes, an aversion to the projects he was working on in the office.

It was good to see that his humour was still healthy!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
A bit more of a lighter note, I had a text conversation with my colleague today. He seemed to be bearing up well with no further complications. I asked him if the doctors were going to put him on warfarin (also used as rat poison) to help clear the clots out. He said the doctors were currently trying to calculate what the near-lethal dose was likely to be!

I then asked him if there were going to be any expected side effects and he replied yes, an aversion to the projects he was working on in the office.

It was good to see that his humour was still healthy!
Good to hear that your work mate is feeling better.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Posting Member

Hi Richard, I think its more a case of him adjusting to the situation. When I spoke to him last week, I think he was still dealing with the fear. Now I get the impression he's more prepared for it mentally.

The doctors were apparently working out what a 'near lethal' dose might be. So he hasn't yet met the worst of it yet. He may encounter various forms of bleeding and risk haemorraging if the doctors don't estimate his tolerance properly. He's an inspiration to me...

...and I'm his boss!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Hi Richard, I think its more a case of him adjusting to the situation. When I spoke to him last week, I think he was still dealing with the fear. Now I get the impression he's more prepared for it mentally.

The doctors were apparently working out what a 'near lethal' dose might be. So he hasn't yet met the worst of it yet. He may encounter various forms of bleeding and risk haemorraging if the doctors don't estimate his tolerance properly. He's an inspiration to me...

...and I'm his boss!
I know what you're going through. A lady in my department has cancer and will have her second operation this coming Friday. She rang the other night to say that she couldn't come in for the first two weeks of next term. She's dealing with the big 'C' and she's worried about missing two weeks at school! I think the reality of work focuses her mind on something else.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:45 AM
Posting Member

A little bit more positive news. He's due to leave hospital! Still don't know how long its going to be until he's back at work but its definitely good to hear.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Senior Posting Member

Good news Steve.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:11 AM
Posting Member

It gets a bit better and I get back on topic...

...Unfortunately, my colleague tells me he's going to be out of action until September. Because he's only contract staff and therefore subject to 1 weeks notice, his latest email was essentially his resignation. I'm sad about that because he was only just getting stuck into his projects. However, I have a load of extra time in the new organisation because I don't have the same admin workload so I can take up some of the slack.

So back OT:

We've launched a new, more reliable and more secure alternative to Bassworld.co.uk at www.basstalk.co.uk. Initially we were just trialling it out, but the hosts of Bassworld made a complete mess of an update to the site and put it offline essentially. So we found ourselves in a situation where we were 100% reliant on a forum that was still under development.

In the last 3 years I've been moderating the site, we've not recieved a single word of thanks or recognition in respect of the thousands of unpaid hours the other admin and I have put into the site from the owner. The owner of the site didn't want to negotiate a share of the domain name with us in recognition of how we made the site what it is and he broke promises to revamp and upgrade the whole board.

Up until we decided to launch the other forum, he stopped replying to our emails, text messages and 2 weeks ago he finally blocked us on MSN. In the meantime the other admin and I were left having to protect him from heavy criticism over the site's reliability.

Anyways, the rest is history. I don't know if Bassworld will be resurrected but its likely we won't be admin any more if/when it happens.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:38 AM
Senior Posting Member

I've just joint basstalk.co.uk.
The site's a funny colour. I think I feel safer here.

Last edited by Richard Prowse; 04-22-2007 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:07 AM
Posting Member

Richard, soon you will be able to choose the colour you like to see on the forum as part of your settings. I'll change the brown skin to a slightly less brown skin and have a jazz themed banner.