Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 09-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Smith Players - Have you owned your Smith Bass for 20+ years?

Smith Players,

Who has owned and played their smith bass for 20+ years?

I purchased my 1st Smith, a BMT 6-string, back in 1993 and I still play it to this day! Sometimes I think the tone has vastly improved over time, but I suspect that my technique, touch and abilities has improved as well (just a little).

Have you noticed and improvements in the tone coming from your Smith?

-cr
Old 09-24-2017, 12:01 PM
Junior Posting Member

John Adams is on a distinguished road

I bought my Smith new in 1989.

Well....actually I was in my last year of Jazz studies in university and saw the Pattiucci video. I wanted a Smith. So I sold my car, all my basses, and almost everything else a poor student could own so I could buy a Smith for my last year of school.

Called Ken and was told there was a 10 month waiting list. Not enough time to get it for my last two semesters.

Not to be dissuaded my friend knew a bass player that lived 5 hours from me that had 2 Smiths on order and was picking them up in a few weeks. He wasn't sure if he wanted a 5 or 6 string so he bought one of each. He planned on selling the one he didn't want. I called him and told him I would take which ever one he wanted to sell. He charged me a premium on top of the original price ( nice guy!) for essentially jumping to the front of the line.

Used my last few extra dollars to rent a car for the 5 hour drive because...well....I sold my car to buy it.

I tried both the 5 and six strings not knowing which one he was going to sell. I preferred the 5 string in walnut. Turns out the seller wanted to keep the 6 string.

It is the only bass I have ever bought new. Actually paid above retail due to the way I bought it. And in 30 + years - it is the only instrument I have kept and never sold.

I am sure the newer models are beautiful and sound incredible but for me - I still think the 3 band preamp with the black oversized headstock models are the best basses ever made.

The bass has war wounds from 100's of gigs and studio work. Something about playing an instrument that has had decades of vibrations going through the wood. Just perfect.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Junior Posting Member

Victor Geer is on a distinguished road
Default Smith Players - Have you owned your Smith Bass for 20+ years?

Wow, Christopher and John. great stories! l am waiting on my KSB. (BSR5 WT)..delivery soon. You two have validated what I knew I would experience in owning a Ken Smith Bass. In twenty years, I trust I will have the same love as you two and thousands of others. I knew I wanted to become a musician/bass player in the 3rd quarter of my life; my philosophy has always been, when I undertake something, use the best tools and equipment, even if you have to grow into it. Bass/music lessons begin Friday 10/6/17, whether my bass has arrived or not. I'm excited about my journey. In 15-20 years, I sure my sentiments will be the same as yours. Thanks for sharing.

Tags
bmt, improve, smith, tone, vintage