Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool 'The Comfort Factor'

I am starting this thread to discuss the comfort or discomfort of playing the Bass.

What factors to YOU are important in making playing more pleasurable and less strain when playing this 'bigger' Violin?

Points I want to personally touch is shape, corner style, size, Neck stop, Radius of FB and Bridge and any other construction issue we can find. I don't think String discussions should be included here because it wont make an uncomfortable Bass feel comfortable unless there is a huge mis-match to the Bass string wise.

For starters I love the looks of Violin Shaped Basses. For some reason, I often his the upper corners on either side of the upper bout with the Bow. Gamba corners stick out less and I hit them less as well. The one concert I played with my Cornerless Bass I remember playing about 8-9 hours on that day with a 44 1/4" string length and saying to myself "This is the most comfortable Bass I have ever played"!

I have used both D and Eb necks and at this point, I am not sure what I like better or even IF I like one better than the other.

On Strings lengths stretch-wise I prefer 41"-42". I have played bigger but only the Cornerless Bass seems easy to play at that longer length.

I don't mind large shoulders if I can get over them but I will overlook some or all of the above if the sound almost puts me in a Coma!

Two Basses that I have in restoration have features that fall into my 'problem zone' items.

One is the 'Hart Maggini Bass' which has strong violin corners bound to get whacked by my Bow, has broad shoulders and an Eb Neck. Most of the Basses I have been playing with the exception of me semi-retired Batchelder (I only play it in the office these days at best) have basically a 'D' Neck. The Tone of this Bass when it was literally 'falling apart' was one of the sweetest sounding Basses my ears have heard and was almost as loud as the Dodd which was in great condition and not in need of a massive restoration like the Hart was. For the sound alone, I will forgive all the possible less-than-perfect comfort items I have mentioned. We can talk looks at another time!

The other is the 'Mystery Bass' that has been in restoration for about 3 years now. This Bass is a 'big boy' standing at about 6"6" or so off the ground. The Top is about 46" to the Neck and longer to the tips. The Upper bout is almost 22" across and the lower over 28". Both Bouts were either cut or worn heavily as the Purfling is missing in the rounder areas of the bouts. This baby is HUGE! How does it sound? I have no idea! Why did I buy it totally unplayable and falling apart? It spoke to me! The wood and varnish is beautiful and I just have this gut feeling that this will be my organ sounding cannon when all is said and done.

When you like a Bass, many things are looked over. When the Bass is just not your 'grail yet, we seem to find fault at every turn.