Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Amps, etc. [DB]

Old 10-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Junior Posting Member

Bill Sallee is on a distinguished road
Default What Comes Between a Dbass and his PAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The last concert I played I had my 3/4 old Bohemian bass. This time I brought the 7/8 Mittenwald which I have used for some Jazz tunes within a Classical Concert but never thru the PAPA.

I have to tell you that the more I use this PAPA, the more I see how valuable it can be. The EQ is clean and pure sounding.
Ken, what pickups or mics do you use with this setup?
Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Pick-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sallee View Post
Ken, what pickups or mics do you use with this setup?
Thanks,
Bill
Well, I have an Underwood type made by Shadow as shown in the PAPA pic page. That doesn't matter all that much because it works with any pickup or Mic or instrument.

The convenience is that regardless of the bass or pick-up used, I can EQ 3 bands at once. If the settings are too high or low for the bs/md/tr bands, then it can be re-set internally on the DIP switch to better match the needs of that bass or type of music being played. I used the exact same setting as pre-set on Smith basses currently but with the Double Bass. It worked great.

In a room with blasting guitars around me, I plugged the bass into the PAPA and used my headphones and just worked on some of my Orchestra music. On stage, the headphones can also be used as a monitor if the sound in the speaker isn't loud enough for you as well.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Junior Posting Member

Bill Sallee is on a distinguished road
Default What about using with an amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Well, I have an Underwood type made by Shadow as shown in the PAPA pic page. That doesn't matter all that much because it works with any pickup or Mic or instrument.

The convenience is that regardless of the bass or pick-up used, I can EQ 3 bands at once. If the settings are too high or low for the bs/md/tr bands, then it can be re-set internally on the DIP switch to better match the needs of that bass or type of music being played. I used the exact same setting as pre-set on Smith basses currently but with the Double Bass. It worked great.

In a room with blasting guitars around me, I plugged the bass into the PAPA and used my headphones and just worked on some of my Orchestra music. On stage, the headphones can also be used as a monitor if the sound in the speaker isn't loud enough for you as well.
Can it go between the pickup and an amp to allow placement of the amp so as to avoid feedback and still provide a headphone out?
Old 10-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up with amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sallee View Post
Can it go between the pickup and an amp to allow placement of the amp so as to avoid feedback and still provide a headphone out?
It's main use is as a Pre-amp.. Bass to PAPA, PAPA to Amp. The headphones can be used if desired as it has its own volume control, different than the one fed to the Amp. Dual usage.

The answer directly is Yes!