Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Welcome To SmithBassForums

Old 07-23-2012, 02:07 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool My begining.. almost..

Since this is about my playing in part and has both DB and BG playing (mostly DB), rather than putting this in both member clip sections I thought it would be best to place it here.

After having a pretty good resume by age 21, I got called to do my first B'way show. I had already worked briefly with Horace Silver, Johnny Mathis, Frank Sinatra Jr., recorded several records for MMO (Music Minus One) and recorded with the Glenn Miller Band (to name a few). I was recommended to the contractor by the great jazz bassist Bob Cranshaw.

I found these links looking up the show just now. From Amazon on the left of each tune, you can click the arrow and hear a sample of each tune for free. I am not posting this for you to buy anything. It's just part of my personal history.

From what I can hear (and remember), I am playing DB on all tunes except #2, 5, and 9 listening on my tiny Computer speakers here at home. Somewhere in my stack of old records is the actual Album. I just don't have a working turntable any more!

My DB then was a 3/4 Wenzel Wilfer (w/Spiro Reds) that I bought directly from Juzek, sold to me as their 'Master Art model'. It was the top of the line Juzek then but the WBW label was left inside alone, no Juzek label was added. The bass was either from the 50's or early 60's as I knew it from their stock since '66 but didn't buy it till '71. The BG was probably one of my Fenders I had then but I can't remember which one. Either the '68 P that I changed the neck with a J-neck after '69 as I used on the MMO records, a '65/66 P or my composite with a '51 neck and a '61 J body, work done then by Carl Thompson's shop. I just can't remember as I would sell one as I got another. My Wilfer and the old '65/66 P was sold to the same guy in NY at different times. The '68 P/J-neck I sold first I remember before the show closed as I was still living with my father then. The '51/61 I sold after I was in business as I remember doing a session for a Producer/Engineer one night to over-dub the bass part from an English rock group (in secret) to fix the bass part. He said "bring your old Fender to match the sound". That bass went to a student of mine back then. I re-visited my old Wilfer about 8 years ago or so, the day after my first visit to meet Arnold Schnitzer with a bass to restore.

Here is a Wiki about the show. I think the theater move was earlier but it was 1973 and I don't remember everything from back then. Who does? I do remember that I played both basses after coming back from Detroit where I played only the BG for the break-in. When we moved across the street to the new Theater, there was only enough room for the Electric (BG) but I was still paid for the double (12, 15, 20%?) till the show closed the end of that year.

A few stars were born on that stage. One which I just saw in a movie recently and have seen before didn't know it was him till I say his name in the credits. Around 50 something, he wasn't that 15 year old bow he was in '73, Giancarlo Esposito. Also, Anita Morris was in the show as a support actress, dancing and singing as well from what I remember.

Have fun with the sample tracks.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 07-23-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: I added link of the tunes. Sorry I missed it first.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Nice!

Great stuff, Ken! Nice listening to some real music for a change. I have a Klipsch THX sound system running off my PC and the mix sounds clean and clear. Both DB and BG sound fantastic.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Great stuff, Ken! Nice listening to some real music for a change. I have a Klipsch THX sound system running off my PC and the mix sounds clean and clear. Both DB and BG sound fantastic.
Great to hear. I wasn't 100% sure about the BG on just those 3 tracks so tell me if I'm wrong. That's what it sounded like to me over here.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Senior Posting Member

Talking Track 13...

Got a kick out of track 13: So, this is where 'white rap' originated, lol!

Old 07-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
...I wasn't 100% sure about the BG on just those 3 tracks so tell me if I'm wrong. That's what it sounded like to me over here.
I'm hearin' the same thing. Track 5 did have me second-guessing at first, but tonal characteristics were too close to tracks 2 and 9.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
I'm hearin' the same thing. Track 5 did have me second-guessing at first, but tonal characteristics were too close to tracks 2 and 9.
Well, those three tracks I am sure were BG. It was the others that I wanted to make sure were all DB.