Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 02-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Posting Member

Sam Sherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
One question - when the finger is pointing at the eye (on low F), can this be achieved by the bass being on an angle (sloping towards the player)?
There are a million ways to play the bass, but that's not consistent with Gary's system as I know (knew?) it.

A basic component of Gary's system is the notion that if the bass is standing by itself the player does not need to use muscular energy (or mental attention) to keep the bass standing. Using Gary's system begins with standing the bass up straight and stepping up to the bass.

Again, all errors are mine. Play on!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post
There are a million ways to play the bass, but that's not consistent with Gary's system as I know (knew?) it.

A basic component of Gary's system is the notion that if the bass is standing by itself the player does not need to use muscular energy (or mental attention) to keep the bass standing. Using Gary's system begins with standing the bass up straight and stepping up to the bass.

Interesting. I used to take that approach - the upright bass - until I watched Edgar Meyer in video clips. I'll go back and fool around some more with my bass. I really believe in comfort and relaxation.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Junior Posting Member

Matthew Heintz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post

Volkan studied with Gary and leans the bass. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CnhA6NIdK0. This doesn't contradict Sam; just shows that players that have studied extensively with Gary have different approaches. For my part, I think that it depends on the particular bass's center of gravity and size.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:48 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Heintz View Post
Volkan studied with Gary and leans the bass. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CnhA6NIdK0. This doesn't contradict Sam; just shows that players that have studied extensively with Gary have different approaches. For my part, I think that it depends on the particular bass's center of gravity and size. By the way, isn't Richard Prowse a good looking guy!
I just watched the clip. The first thing I noticed was his very long spike - but the 'finger pointing at the eye' thing was still happening! Oh, and thanks for the compliment about my looks.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Junior Posting Member

Matthew Heintz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
I just watched the clip. The first thing I noticed was his very long spike - but the 'finger pointing at the eye' thing was still happening! Oh, and I meant to compliment you on your looks.
Why thank you!
Old 02-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road
Default I wanna take you higher

Not always pointing at the eye, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAbtq...eature=related
Old 02-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Senior Posting Member

Well, I come back to the balance thing. I've now got the bass a little lower and the balance feels good. Time will tell.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road
Default Bow arm.

As a teacher, I am more concerned with set up from the bow arm. I have students that stand face the bass. The bridge should touch their second knuckles on their bow hand. I don't want them reaching down too much as this causes shoulder problems. I don't worry too much about the eyebrow as long as the bow hand is taken care of. (It usually works out about the same way...)

Sitting is a different pin height, and varies greatly from player to player. Body type, arm length, etc... Even then, I get the bow in the proper place comfortably and the left hand will be just about where it needs to be.

The bow is the true art of playing classically. I focus on it first.

BG