Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 10-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bin Hire is on a distinguished road
Default Rabbath endpin.

Has anyone here used a Rabbath endpin? I've seen them and thought about them quite a bit. I'm thinking (only thinking) about getting one some time. I saw a video of Rufus Reid and he had one.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:09 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

What does your teacher say? Does he use one?

I personally go for the "not broke don't fix" school, but I guess it can't hurt to experiment. Check out the KC Strings tilt block setup - that seems to me like a good way to try some different endpins and angles.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:37 AM
Senior Posting Member

Well Thomas I don't actually have a teacher, but I do watch other players. I personally believe that one should always be striving to improve and I think that a bass that leaned back more could be a good thing. Yes, I've seen those tilt block things and I am not keen on drilling a hole in my bass. Really I'm still at the finding out stage.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:34 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

Well, it's the actual Laborie endpin that requires a hole to be bored in your bottom block. Not that that's really such a big deal, plus, you retain your regular endpin. The KC unit anchors through your existing endpin socket, with no modification to the bass needed.

As for making major changes to your technique without a qualified instructor - it's up to you, but I have to advise against it. I think you stand to do more damage than good to your playing, and even risk hurting yourself. Angled endpins may work great for some people, but it isn't like the regular endpin is "outdated" or has been debunked somehow - so outside of an ideal learning situation, why risk it when you could spend that time and energy refining your existing technique or learning new music?
Old 10-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
Well, it's the actual Laborie endpin that requires a hole to be bored in your bottom block. Not that that's really such a big deal, plus, you retain your regular endpin. The KC unit anchors through your existing endpin socket, with no modification to the bass needed.

As for making major changes to your technique without a qualified instructor - it's up to you, but I have to advise against it. I think you stand to do more damage than good to your playing, and even risk hurting yourself. Angled endpins may work great for some people, but it isn't like the regular endpin is "outdated" or has been debunked somehow - so outside of an ideal learning situation, why risk it when you could spend that time and energy refining your existing technique or learning new music?
Yes it probably is a bit radical but, if one had two basses and experimented with one, I can't really see how much harm would be done. It's a bit like practising your bass with the endpin at different heights and I agree that there is the danger of focusing on bass height (etc) when one could be practising music. Still, I think it's good to think about how you can get your bass working best. In my mind most technique comes down to common sense in the end and I don't feel an instructor is always necessary if one is taking a logical approach. Actually I won't be looking into a bent endpin in the immediate future for the sole reason that it seems like it would take too much time right now. I appreciate your thoughts Thomas.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jeff Schwartz is on a distinguished road

I have the Laboire endpin on my bass. My teacher is a big fan of this and some other elements of the Rabbath approach. Mine was installed by World of Strings (in Long Beach, CA).
I have the carbon fiber one. My teacher has since had oak and pernambuco ones made and, while I've noticed a tonal difference when I've tried them, it didn't justify the hassle or expense.
The angled endpin relieves the left hand of any need to support the bass, but so does sitting.
It also seems to make my bass louder and fuller than the Gotz endpin that came with it. This is probably in part because the body is angled towards my head, but also I think the bass vibrates more without a thick steel rod bolted to it.
Will I put one on my next bass? Most likely. Do I think everyone should get one? Probably not. Depending on the stance you're accustomed to, it may be hard to get used to, and if you sit most of the time, it won't make much difference.
My two cents...
Old 10-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thanks Jeff, that was very informative. Sort of how I was thinking it might be.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Junior Posting Member

Elisabeth Steves is on a distinguished road

I was sitting to play the bass for decades, but the first time I was shown the angled endpin, I took to it like a fish to water and never looked back. If anything was most impressive, it was being able to play a good Mozart spiccato with German bow for the first time. There was no adjustment to the new position required, as it relieved my inherent position problems with sitting. It immediately allowed me to improve my playing dramatically, and my bass did sound better once it was drilled. Results vary with the size and shape of you and your bass. Some very tall players do not find it to be an advantage, for example. The angled endpin setup is not new; there is a 16th-century bass here: http://www.khm.at/en/collections/col...l-instruments/ thus equipped.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabeth Steves View Post
I was sitting to play the bass for decades, but the first time I was shown the angled endpin, I took to it like a fish to water and never looked back. If anything was most impressive, it was being able to play a good Mozart spiccato with German bow for the first time. There was no adjustment to the new position required, as it relieved my inherent position problems with sitting. It immediately allowed me to improve my playing dramatically, and my bass did sound better once it was drilled. Results vary with the size and shape of you and your bass. Some very tall players do not find it to be an advantage, for example. The angled endpin setup is not new; there is a 16th-century bass here: http://www.khm.at/en/collections/col...l-instruments/ thus equipped.
I don't see any basses in that Link. The biggest I see is 2 Cellos or something that size.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I don't see any basses in that Link. The biggest I see is 2 Cellos or something that size.
People were shorter back then.
Sorry, I couldn't resist a little joke.