Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 01-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Junior Posting Member

Patrick Wasserman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Patrick Wasserman
Default C-Extensions

As a high school student, I'm really not sure if this is a good idea or not. I know it is not at all necessary, but I've been saving up plenty of money, and I thought it might be a cool thing to do for my Kolstein Fendt.

To my understanding, the four types of C-extensions are a stenholm, one with chromatic locks, an E-lock and one sliding lock, and then a fingered extension (sorry for using the word lock, I forget the right term). Of these, I'm not really sure about the advantages and disadvantages. Either help me and decide which of these is most effective, or help my wallet and convince me to not do anything

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 01-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Extension Types..

In todays Orchestras unless it's been on the Bass awhile the two most common types are the Latched/Chromatic Extension or the Fingered/E-latch only Extension. This is what I have seen either on TV or in person. The NY Phil is mixed but Bill Blossom has made some Extensions for his and other Basses. The Philly Orch has either Mechanical Exts of older installations or Chromatic/Latched Exts with only one exception and that's the asst. Princ. Neil Courtney who has a Fingered/E-latch on his attrib. d'Salo Bass.

The difference in price between the Fingered and Chromatic is about 40% from my experience. My advice is get one of the guys who makes both types to make you a Fingered Ext. with the possibility of adding the latches later.

Arnold, Jeff? Wanna steer this guy on the right direction?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jeff Bollbach is on a distinguished road

Yeah, unless you are used to and addicted to a mechanical x-10-shun it is best to stay away from those. Lots of headaches. Kens advice is good-get one with an E latch only and you can always add whatever other latches you want later.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:37 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jake Newcomb is on a distinguished road

Jeff, what do you think of extensions as a luthier? A luthier I know hates them, so does a bow maker I know who does great work on violin family instruments.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Hi Jake. I'm not Jeff. He's busy gloating about last night. He deserves to do so. His bass sounded great in Bill Blossom's able hands!

About extensions--all C extensions are an imperfect solution to a major problem (needing to reach the low C to Eb). If professionally constructed and installed, they work well and sound good. In my opinion, the machine types are very problematic and I do my best to convince players to avoid them. Also, it is in vogue to get extensions which go down to a low B. I think this is a bad idea. There is too much torque pulling the neck and extension out of whack when you make the piece that long (hanging off the scroll about 4 inches). Every one I have seen, even relatively new, has been warped, with the center of the extension lifting up toward the string.

I think the trend toward chromatic-gated extensions is here to stay. I also think it makes the most sense to have this type made all at once, not to have the extra gates rigged up later.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jeff Bollbach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Newcomb View Post
Jeff, what do you think of extensions as a luthier? A luthier I know hates them, so does a bow maker I know who does great work on violin family instruments.
I think there is a higher % of basses with extentions that sound great than 5 strings that sound great. There are folks who hate them just cuz they are a pain to install[create]. I used to feel that way untill I started to have some success with extentions.

BTW, Arnold-I forgot to tell you that I played Ken's Martini with the chromatic x-10-shun that you made. That was a beautiful thing-worked fantastically!

Last edited by Jeff Bollbach; 01-25-2007 at 11:41 PM. Reason: none of yer beeswax
Old 01-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jake Newcomb is on a distinguished road

Thanks Arnold and Jeff! I was asking because I do not really like playing on extensions. Don't get me wrong, I've had the experience of being in orchestra sections where we had a some great players with extensions on their basses and the low notes sounded awesome. For me though, I just prefer a bass without one.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Junior Posting Member

Kjetil Laukholm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Wasserman View Post
To my understanding, the four types of C-extensions are a stenholm, one with chromatic locks, an E-lock and one sliding lock, and then a fingered extension (sorry for using the word lock, I forget the right term). Of these, I'm not really sure about the advantages and disadvantages. Either help me and decide which of these is most effective, or help my wallet and convince me to not do anything

Thanks,
Patrick
I feel every begginning extension player should learn on an extension with an e-stop only. You have to learn to play without the stops and you will learn faster if you have no chance to get lazy with the stops.
Get a latched extension or a keyed extension later.

A for letting other players cover low notes - I find it amateurish to show up on the job without the low notes.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up Yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjetil Laukholm View Post
I feel every begginning extension player should learn on an extension with an e-stop only. You have to learn to play without the stops and you will learn faster if you have no chance to get lazy with the stops.
Get a latched extension or a keyed extension later.

A for letting other players cover low notes - I find it amateurish to show up on the job without the low notes.
Fingered is great for some things but having the latches allows you to lock the notes in place. In some pieces like Beethoven 3rd, 1st mvmt you need to start with C and lock it chromatically to Eb every 4 bar pattern playing the pedal note about 3 or 4 times each. Fingering it you might hit it good once or twice. Reaching back to lock it fast is only the first of each 4 bar pattern. It is in 'one' so you don't have much time. On the 6th Storm movement, you play it open. Two good examples from the same composer. The 5th and 9th are mixed open and closed from what I remember.

Personally, I would go for the best latched chromatic you can get that is easier to finger. This is better for the player all around and better for the Luthier knowing what to make from the start. The 3 basses I've used most in the last few years with Extensions were the Martini, Gilkes and Hart. The Gilkes was sold and maybe the best to play overall and a 41" length. The Martini and Hart are a toss up depending on the music. I used the Hart for my concert last week, the Martini the week or so before and its next to me here at home for a concert tomorrow. March and April, who knows? One of them or the Jacquet when it's done and if I can get used to it quick enough. All good classic Orchestra basses should have a high grade extension as standard. Like power steering and AC in a car. Can't go without it and get the job done.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:46 AM
Junior Posting Member

I also prefer a chromatic ext, but you have to be able to play those licks without one.
I just came back from a long tour of europe with the Copenhagen Phil with beethoven 3 on it and while it took a lot of work, the low licks in felt fine on the Hill and it had an e lock only. On my old Hachez I did as you do and latched each.

I see too many players using the stops as crutches and they never learn to play the fingered notes as securely as any other range on the instrument.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:03 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool humm

Quote:
I also prefer a chromatic ext, but you have to be able to play those licks without one.
I just came back from a long tour of europe with the Copenhagen Phil with beethoven 3 on it and while it took a lot of work, the low licks in felt fine on the Hill and it had an e lock only. On my old Hachez I did as you do and latched each.

I see too many players using the stops as crutches and they never learn to play the fingered notes as securely as any other range on the instrument.
Jumping back and forth on that section seems do difficult especially if you want to have any length of the note values fingered on and off the extension. That would cut the note values in half for me. Am I missing something here? Other than the Bass playing the Cello part an octave below, anything that helps you get there should be good. I see no shame in latching them and then having the pedal already latched for the other 2 or 3 notes in each run.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Junior Posting Member

No shame in latching (and I wish I had my old Hachez exension with locks while playing it) but one does need to be able to play it without. The style in that passage is somewhat short so the shift is not a problem. The only real problem is consistancy of pitch, which takes some work.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Posting Member

Sam Sherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I feel every beginning extension player should learn on an extension with an e-stop only. You have to learn to play without the stops and you will learn faster if you have no chance to get lazy with the stops.
KL, you've touched on something here that resonates for me.

I played jazz without an extension for thirty-some years. I've been playing jazz with an extension for about half a year. I often feel like I'm a beginner down there (and I like that feeling a lot).
Old 02-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up Ext's..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post
KL, you've touched on something here that resonates for me.

I played jazz without an extension for thirty-some years. I've been playing jazz with an extension for about half a year. I often feel like I'm a beginner down there (and I like that feeling a lot).
Sam, join a community orchestra and get some practice on the extension. Playing jazz is most often choosing when you want to play what ever notes where. Playing Orchestra is playing the written page without improv. Many players in Orchestras play up the octave not having an ext. or 5er but for learning, play as much down as you can. Often for x-mas concerts I play extra low notes as it's not the master works and the conductor doesn't mind or even notice. The Brandenburg's are a good workout. Written for mainly Cello or 5-string are quite the workout for an Extension.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Posting Member

Sam Sherry is on a distinguished road
Default A Life-Digression

Ken --

An excellent suggestion and well-taken. I played in orchestras as a student, amateur and semi-pro and stopped about twenty years ago.

I love improvising. Orchestra music, for all the many moments of beauty it provides, is second choice. I'm lucky to be able to play and even luckier to be able to play jazz.

Play on, maestro!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post
Ken --

An excellent suggestion and well-taken. I played in orchestras as a student, amateur and semi-pro and stopped about twenty years ago.

I love improvising. Orchestra music, for all the many moments of beauty it provides, is second choice. I'm lucky to be able to play and even luckier to be able to play jazz.

Play on, maestro!
But what I mean now is to do it again being that you have a c-extension and get some classical use with it. That's all.