Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Classical/Arco

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Junior Posting Member

Eddue Johnson is on a distinguished road
Default Spirocore Starks

After a long process to find the right strings for my Phretzner bass I am very happy with my choice of Thomastik Dominants, tuned down a whole step with higher than normal string height. I play a mixture of acoustic versions of R&B, country, easy listening , rock and pop standards from the 1930's-90's in my current gig as half a duo with a singer guitarist.

I recently got a great deal on a set of Spirocore Starks and want to put them on a different bass for a different sound, a decent imported carved 3/4 size with a thick top. I want to be able to play without amplification on some gigs, with a piano and vocals, possibly a horn or guitar. But it will be used for not just playing jazz but want to do a lot more bowing in the near future.

Even though I am not an orchestra bassist I thought this might be the best place to inquire about using Spiro Starks as an arco string. This set will also be tuned down a whole step, not the norm I know but it works well for me.

So, anyone here have any experience bowing a bass with a full set of Spiro starks or other heavy gauge string. I have a lot of work to do when it comes to bowing so just looking for some insight. It seems like playing softer might be more difficult than louder playing and not sure how easy it will be to get and control a good arco sound with the heavier gauge.

When it comes to heavy bass arco strings, especially Spiro Starks, what things should I consider. And how long does it take for new Starks to settle in.