Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 07-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Posting Member

Bill Doss is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for sugestions on a backup bass

Hey guys - This is a hard one:

I am looking for a back up bass to my CR5 bolt on. I want something that is of less value, both fiancial and emotional, to take to those "not so good neighborhood" gigs that we all must do from time to time.

My biggest issues is that I become really familiar with my instruments feel and changing basses is very dificult for me.

I am looking for your collective input as to what basses have a similar feel to a KS. I know its going to be hard - but I am looking for the 34 scale, 18mm spacing at the bridge, 9mm at the nut, and a similar fretboard radius.

I have tried a few brands with poor results.

Let me knwo your thoughts!

Bill
Old 07-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Not so hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Doss View Post
Hey guys - This is a hard one:

I am looking for a back up bass to my CR5 bolt on. I want something that is of less value, both fiancial and emotional, to take to those "not so good neighborhood" gigs that we all must do from time to time.

My biggest issues is that I become really familiar with my instruments feel and changing basses is very dificult for me.

I am looking for your collective input as to what basses have a similar feel to a KS. I know its going to be hard - but I am looking for the 34 scale, 18mm spacing at the bridge, 9mm at the nut, and a similar fretboard radius.

I have tried a few brands with poor results.

Let me knwo your thoughts!

Bill
Bill,

I had this exact same issue and another maker was not an option. That's why I play Smith basses.

So, I decided to find another Smith that satisfied my need to match feel and sound, but at a price I was willing to pay for a back-up Smith (only without the financial and emotional attachment......good luck on this one though. Even then, it is still difficult to not be attached). Anytime you find that "special" instrument (cosmetically mint or otherwise), you WILL be attached. However, if I had to choose between taking my MINT 25th. Ann. Smith Fusion-5 to a "not-so-desirable-gig" vs. my back-up Smith: I'm taking the back-up Smith.

In my search for a back-up, I wasn't looking for an abused Smith (although, depending on severity of abuse, that could work as well), but one that maybe had some above normal wear (but not to the point playability and sound was a factor) and the price was reflected accordingly.

My recommendation: Given you play a CR5 and are use to the bolt-on feel, you could probably locate a Burner-5 for under $1k that you would be happy with. These are really nice basses for the $'s. However, depending on how much you want to spend, you may very well be able to find another comparable used Smith that will meet your need as your back-up and in a price-range you could live with.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 07-17-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Posting Member

Default True

You are a wise man. I had forgotten about that series. I was hoping to get something with more of a jazz bass sound - but with the Smith feel. I guess I am asking too much.

Off to Ebay!!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Posting Member

Mike Jenkins is on a distinguished road

Finding another Smith would be my first suggestion but If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive alternative to a Smith bass I would consider an Ibanez BTB Prestige. The necks of this series of Ibanez feel pretty good. They are thin (from the fingerboard side to the back of the neck) and fast. The SR Prestige series of Ibanez basses play very good as well with thin and fast necks but the string spacing is pretty narrow. Each has custom Bartolini electronics. With a price well below any Smith out there you won't be to disappointed if something were to happen to it.

Last edited by Mike Jenkins; 07-19-2007 at 03:54 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Posting Member

Dennis Michaels is on a distinguished road

That is always a rough call. I just take my Smith and strap it to my back. Sometimes I pray nothing happens to it. But I have yet to find a less than miserable backup. Would love to find a beaten but sound Smith but goodluck with that right?
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Tone matters so play the best through the best.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Posting Member

Thanks a bunch guys.

I have tried several diferent brands but nothing comes even close. I tried the Ibanez Prestige SR. A good playing bass, but the string spacing (as stated above) was too narrow. The BTB might be worth a try.

I tried a Carvin Icon , It played very well and seemed well made - but sounded DULL - no life...nothing!

I most recently tried out a Lakland 55-01 and was very impresed - but it had nothing in common with a Smith, the 35 scale hurts my hands, and it had that (hard to explain) Korean made sound to it.

So, I am waiting to see what pops up!
Old 07-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Set up is everything

Quote:
Thanks a bunch guys.

I have tried several diferent brands but nothing comes even close. I tried the Ibanez Prestige SR. A good playing bass, but the string spacing (as stated above) was too narrow. The BTB might be worth a try.

I tried a Carvin Icon , It played very well and seemed well made - but sounded DULL - no life...nothing!

I most recently tried out a Lakland 55-01 and was very impresed - but it had nothing in common with a Smith, the 35 scale hurts my hands, and it had that (hard to explain) Korean made sound to it.

So, I am waiting to see what pops up!

Bill, also, while I have not played a KSD-5, I have heard they play well and sound good. You might want to consider that model as well. You can probably pick one up on eBay for around $500 and a new one for not much more.

Keep in mind that set-up on any bass is everything! Bad strings and a bad set-up can make any bass sound and feel bad.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:15 AM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Backup Bass - Fender - Geddy Lee!

If you can use a 4 string bass - I highly recommend the Fender Geddy Lee Jazz model. The maple neck is so comfortable - very thin - with good action. The pickups are 62 reissue.

I know that this bass plays great sounds wonderful - and it is a passive bass - but do not let that deter you - it is a steal. Besides you can always make it active with one of those pop-in active preamps on the market - aka J-Retro, Audere.

This model new sells for about $800 - used between $500 and $650. Be careful - the tone is catching.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rhodes View Post
If you can use a 4 string bass - I highly recommend the Fender Geddy Lee Jazz model. The maple neck is so comfortable - very thin - with good action. The pickups are 62 reissue.

I know that this bass plays great sounds wonderful - and it is a passive bass - but do not let that deter you - it is a steal. Besides you can always make it active with one of those pop-in active preamps on the market - aka J-Retro, Audere.

This model new sells for about $800 - used between $500 and $650. Be careful - the tone is catching.
You are right, the Geddy lee is one of the best J basses out there. I had one with an Audere Preamp and it was great. My problem comes in switching basses and adjusting to the scale, spacing , and radius. Some people have no problem doing this, to me it is a pain.

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My problem comes in switching basses and adjusting to the scale, spacing , and radius. Some people have no problem doing this, to me it is a pain.
I can sympathize. I regularly practice on a 5 string 35" scale unlined fretless beater bass and when I switch to my 4 string lined fretless Smith I can feel the change in scale. I much prefer the 34" scale. Once all my debts are paid off a Smith 5 fretless is in the cards..

It takes me about 2 minutes to adjust from 35" to 34" and be comfortable, and it takes about 5-10 to go back to 35"..

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 07-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
I can sympathize. I regularly practice on a 5 string 35" scale unlined fretless beater bass and when I switch to my 4 string lined fretless Smith I can feel the change in scale. I much prefer the 34" scale. Once all my debts are paid off a Smith 5 fretless is in the cards..

It takes me about 2 minutes to adjust from 35" to 34" and be comfortable, and it takes about 5-10 to go back to 35"..
Some people have no problem transfering. My wrists and thumbs begin to ache if I play a 35 for too long.

Ohh well. I might have to get a new Smith and use my current one as a back up .
Old 07-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ohh well. I might have to get a new Smith and use my current one as a back up .
Best idea yet!

My band's site:
Delusional Mind