Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Bows (and Rosin etc)

Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Steve Boisen

Default Franz Winkler bow info

The double bass I recently purchased came with a French style bow stamped "F. WINKLER" with an arrow through the name. It is also stamped "MADE IN GERMANY". A Google search yielded a few other bows by this maker and they seem to be of good quality. Does anyone know more about them? Any idea what this bow might be worth?

- Steve
Old 03-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Junior Posting Member

Mark Stefaniw is on a distinguished road

I have a Winkler bow, but the stamp is barely visable. Attached are some pictures. Lynn Hannings has since worked on this bow to fix the frog, polish and rehair. It plays good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WinklerBow 001.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	2405  Click image for larger version

Name:	WinklerBow 006.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	2406  

www.MarkStefaniwMusic.com
303-679-4437
Old 03-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Steve Boisen

Thanks Mark, that looks identical to my Winkler bow. I've attached some pictures.

I'm thinking of selling this to finance the purchase of a German style bow which is what I play. Do you have any idea what this bow would be worth? The only Winkler bass bow I could find for sale on line was here for $1,490.

- Steve
Old 03-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Franz Winkler, Bow maker;

Franz Winkler, Bow maker; (according to Jalovec) Markneukirchen. b. 1878, d. 1962. Bow-maker. He did not make a great number of them, but those he did make are excellent.

There is no mention of him making any Bass bows as this is a Violin book and usually they would mention that here. Who actually made the Bows you both have? Who knows! Who makes them now? Not him as he died 50 years ago. If it was made by him, it has to be at least 50 years old. More then likely, his name was used as a trade name for bows after his death. That is my guess.

Henley (book) mentions him as well, c.1921. No mention of Bass bows either.

Value? Depending on how it handles and condition, more than a Chinese bow and less than a known made German bow. What ever that range is.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Junior Posting Member

Mark Stefaniw is on a distinguished road

I bought the Winkler back in 1987 for ~$450 if my memory serves me. I was offered $1,500 for it from another bass player 10 years ago, back when I had it fitted with a German frog. I should have sold it right then.

Putting the original French frog back on, Aaron Robertson at Robertson's violin shop in NM really like it when I went down there one day shopping for bows. I could not find a better playing bow for less than $3,000. It wasn't until I played a Reid Hudson bow that I became tempted to jump ship. Recently, one of my students bought an Eastman pernambuco French bass nbow for $500 that I think it superb -- it is the first "low cost" pernambuco bow that has ever caught my attention like this.

The Winkler is a bit heavy ~141g. Lynn Hannings figured it was early 40's vintage.

www.MarkStefaniwMusic.com
303-679-4437