Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Classical/Arco

Old 06-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I have heard of and seen that string combo used. But, it's only 2 of the 4 strings in the set. Do they still use that set over there?
Don't know, maybe I can find out.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Junior Posting Member

Mark Stefaniw is on a distinguished road

I'm about to try a S42 weich set with extended-E (yikes). I've been trending towards lower tension (Flex/92, Permanent, EP reg, EP weich, Obligato, and now Superflexible). Connoly claimed that TI does not make a SF extended-E, so I put on my old spiro mittle extended-E. But I see the extended-E in the TI PDF chart posted here earlier.

Overall the SF A/D/G sound the best on my bass, but the spiro mittle extended-E seems choked a bit.

Is my thinking correct? Maybe weichen all the way across might be the ticket? Also, my mensure is 41 3/4 with the back of the bridge feet bisecting the line between the inner f-hole nicks. So I'm thinking S42 is my string right?

Bass: 2003 Romanian carved flatback by Baranyai Gyorgi, Budapest I got from Robertson's in NM.

www.MarkStefaniwMusic.com
303-679-4437
Old 06-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stefaniw View Post
I'm about to try a S42 weich set with extended-E (yikes). I've been trending towards lower tension (Flex/92, Permanent, EP reg, EP weich, Obligato, and now Superflexible). Connoly claimed that TI does not make a SF extended-E, so I put on my old spiro mittle extended-E. But I see the extended-E in the TI PDF chart posted here earlier.

Overall the SF A/D/G sound the best on my bass, but the spiro mittle extended-E seems choked a bit.

Is my thinking correct? Maybe weichen all the way across might be the ticket? Also, my mensure is 41 3/4 with the back of the bridge feet bisecting the line between the inner f-hole nicks. So I'm thinking S42 is my string right?

Bass: 2003 Romanian carved flatback by Baranyai Gyorgi, Budapest I got from Robertson's in NM.
I have used the SF Ex some time ago on my Storioni. It was on the bass when I first bought it so they did at least make it back then. It was an orchestra gauge, not solo.