Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > The Bull Pit

Old 07-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

bass-o-lin?
http://www.otheroom.com/namm98/Inst.htm
Old 07-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up yup..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke View Post
Thx, you found it;

NAMM, 1998;
And now for the bass players that might have felt left out in the previous item, here's the Bass O Lin.This is an instrument that's happy being played like an electric bass, upright bass and as a bowed bass. There are something like ten different playing positions between strapping it on and using it upright. There are fretted and fretless models available.
Dan Agostino
Lanoka Harbor, New Jersey, USA
(609)971-1643
or (914)942-5123

I have no idea if his contact info it current from 10 years ago, sry. contasy
Old 07-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool The perfect bass for me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Michaels View Post
All I know is you build the perfect basses "for me". I play them and don't really care who else does. Thank god many do tho or you may not be here today.
I'm totally with you Dennis and I've always said that: "Ken makes a bass that is perfect for me and there just happens to be an S on the head-stock". Never have given "a rip" less about what magazines and/or endorsements show (unless of course it's Eden's and Smith's ).

A recent experience I'll attempt to keep short.......

I recently (and reluctantly) sold one of my favorite Smiths (a '97 Tiger Maple 5GN) to an acquaintance and bassist. Wonderful individual and player and I was totally wanting to help him out by fixing him up with THE bass. Understand, he was accustomed to a bolt-on neck feel (there's another thread on this topic, so, don't want to get into that debate here), so, a neck-thru would be a new experience for him.

I set the bass up perfectly for him (as we discussed set-up beforehand) before I shipped. At any rate, when he received the bass and played it, he later decided it was not the bass for him........come again....say what! This was the first time I EVER ran across anyone that wasn't pleased with a Smith. His decision was totally based on feel as I clearly understood and prepared him for that beforehand. So, I asked him "did you change anything"? To my dismay, he responded, "yes, I changed the strings from Taper Core Mediums to Lights" (which changed the set-up as we had initially discussed) .... .... errghhhhh!!! .... I said to myself: Take a deeeeeep breath in, now breeeeathhhh out......repeat.....ok.....

Yeah, I know, another lesson learned. Just goes to prove, you cannot please everyone (particularly those that don't understand the importance of set-ups). Had I anticipated this, I would have NEVER sold that bass. I'm hoping, as I've discussed with him, he will give it more time to work out the "feel thing", otherwise, I will be working toward getting that bass back ASAP!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 07-06-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
I'm totally with you Dennis and I've always said that: "Ken makes a bass that is perfect for me and there just happens to be an S on the head-stock". Never have given "a rip" less about what magazines and/or endorsements show (unless of course it's Eden's and Smith's ).

A recent experience I'll attempt to keep short.......

I recently (and reluctantly) sold one of my favorite Smiths (a '97 Tiger Maple 5GN) to an acquaintance and bassist. Wonderful individual and player and I was totally wanting to help him out by fixing him up with THE bass. Understand, he was accustomed to a bolt-on neck feel (there's another thread on this topic, so, don't want to get into that debate here), so, a neck-thru would be a new experience for him.

I set the bass up perfectly for him (as we discussed set-up beforehand) before I shipped. At any rate, when he received the bass and played it, he later decided it was not the bass for him........come again....say what! This was the first time I EVER ran across anyone that wasn't pleased with a Smith. His decision was totally based on feel as I clearly understood and prepared him for that beforehand. So, I asked him "did you change anything"? To my dismay, he responded, "yes, I changed the strings from Taper Core Mediums to Lights" (which changed the set-up as we had initially discussed) .... .... errghhhhh!!! .... I said to myself: Take a deeeeeep breath in, now breeeeathhhh out......repeat.....ok.....

Yeah, I know, another lesson learned. Just goes to prove, you cannot please everyone (particularly those that don't understand the importance of set-ups). Had I anticipated this, I would have NEVER sold that bass. I'm hoping, as I've discussed with him, he will give it more time to work out the "feel thing", otherwise, I will be working toward getting that bass back ASAP!
Well, this is going off topic, but I can certainly feel you here. It falls under that "no good deed goes unpunished" category. Years ago, out of necessity I learned very well the painful process of properly setting up a tremolo strat. It's a MF cause everything you change changes everything else. But there is a systematic way to do it, it just takes time, and lots of it. So I get this neophyte fellow a great deal on a pawn shop strat, go to great pains to get genuine replacement hardware for a few things that were missing, bought some brand new strings and got the thing as near perfect as any set-up I've ever done. First time he changes the strings he changes the gauge to heavy because some idiot kid at GC tells him thus and so. And then he has to file the nut because the heavier gauge is sticking and he's wondering why his "action" is all high now, he can't get it in tune, and comes asking me what is wrong with this guitar I "sold" him;- "All I did was change the strings....", he says. !@#$$%!!!!!

Note, I never sold him anything. I helped him pick it out. And he blames me because I lined him up with it. OK, that's as much as I can bear to re-live. So I leave neophytes that don't take my advice alone now, and I never do anything to a guitar unless someone pays me. Otherwise they think you must be getting some advantage somewhere. They only respect your work if you charge them. So someone wants me to set up a tremolo strat- $100 minimum. The normal response is, "I can buy a guitar for that.." And I'm like "Fine, but can you play it that way..."

One of the things that impressed me the most about the KSB's that I have played was that the set-up was perfect everywhere. And the fret work is the best I've ever seen. There are many other things as well, but those stick out so far above the other makers that these are worth remark. Truly here in Atlanta, we have a treasure in the Atlanta Bass Gallery. But he never has enough fretless basses. I was in there a couple of days ago and he must have had 6 or 7 Smiths and not a single fret-less. I guess if he gets one, it goes pretty fast. But here, that place is great because you can really play and hear all the "best" makers' work. Of the top hand-made basses I think he sells more Smiths than anything else. I would say having Smith basses in these types of bass specialty shops is a great way to get the news across. There are some makers who you must deal with directly, and to me that is just too risky for an instrument that is truly an investment. Even if I were ordering an instrument custom to my specs, the fact that I have seen several in a store and been able to play them against other makers work is very important. Otherwise you don't have much to go on but looks and endorsements in magazines. With KSB, I think I would have no worries about a commissioned instrument;- but that is because of the long history of consistent quality. That reputation has been earned over many years.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question Magazines & Advertising?

Magazines & Advertising??

Anyone? Thx guys..
Old 07-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Senior Posting Member

This is totally off topic, but related. The bass-o-lin is not really what I was hoping for. Clevinger is one of those companies that will only deal directly with customers and there are no dealers. That bothers me, but I would like to have a Clevinger type instrument. The other thing that bothers me about them is that they are totally unwilling to customize anything.

It just occurs to me that if Ken Smith made an instrument similar in design to the Clevinger, it would be beyond compare to anything like that currently available. I know it might be like invading new territory, but the bass-o-lin is too much bass guitar and not enough double bass. I guess I could talk to that fellow, but it seems like too much of a hybrid animal and what I'm hoping for is an improvement on the EUB, although I don't like that moniker, I think the concept is a good one;- to have an instrument that is feed back free, that has a rich arco tone when amplified and identical dimensions to a DB.

Of the EUBs currently available, Ken, have you tried any of them or have a favorite or just an impression of how you view those that you are willing to share?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Posting Member

Dennis Michaels is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
This is totally off topic, but related. The bass-o-lin is not really what I was hoping for. Clevinger is one of those companies that will only deal directly with customers and there are no dealers. That bothers me, but I would like to have a Clevinger type instrument. The other thing that bothers me about them is that they are totally unwilling to customize anything.

It just occurs to me that if Ken Smith made an instrument similar in design to the Clevinger, it would be beyond compare to anything like that currently available. I know it might be like invading new territory, but the bass-o-lin is too much bass guitar and not enough double bass. I guess I could talk to that fellow, but it seems like too much of a hybrid animal and what I'm hoping for is an improvement on the EUB, although I don't like that moniker, I think the concept is a good one;- to have an instrument that is feed back free, that has a rich arco tone when amplified and identical dimensions to a DB.

Of the EUBs currently available, Ken, have you tried any of them or have a favorite or just an impression of how you view those that you are willing to share?

I agree, I'd buy one. For now it is my Zeta "Crossover " 4 string (what a little neck) but it sounds pretty good at least.
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Tone matters so play the best through the best.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Angry EUBs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Powell View Post

I have played a few and even owned a BabyBass back in the late from '68-'72 or so. Been there, done that..

You should hear my 5er with the Shadow PU and the SWR.. Wow.. My Loveri smokes, the Martini rumbles, the Gilkes scares, the Bisiach puts you back in the 60s and the Batchelder makes you cry all with the shadow pickup. Even my Shens sound and play great with an Amp and I have sold several Basses including the Italian Solo Bass, The Dodd and the Prescott that turned heads plugged in or not..

Why on earth would I even have a bad dream about playing on a 2x4 with strings on it? I like it real, gut shaking Bass notes with some old wood scarring the neighbors.. lol

Hitchcock's new thriller "Mommy, Mommy, The Bass is Playing"..

A Bass is a Bass and a Guitar is a Guitar. Toys are for children!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Posting Member

I have said before "wouldn't it be boring if everybody played the same gear?" If there was 1 perfect bass and amp for the world it would be less then eventful. I believe KSB are the best instrument built in any price range and I thank Ken for keeping them affordable in comparrison to some others. Tho not inexpensive by any means we are also not gouged either.
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Old 07-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I have played a few and even owned a BabyBass back in the late from '68-'72 or so. Been there, done that..

You should hear my 5er with the Shadow PU and the SWR.. Wow.. My Loveri smokes, the Martini rumbles, the Gilkes scares, the Bisiach puts you back in the 60s and the Batchelder makes you cry all with the shadow pickup. Even my Shens sound and play great with an Amp and I have sold several Basses including the Italian Solo Bass, The Dodd and the Prescott that turned heads plugged in or not..

Why on earth would I even have a bad dream about playing on a 2x4 with strings on it? I like it real, gut shaking Bass notes with some old wood scarring the neighbors.. lol

Hitchcock's new thriller "Mommy, Mommy, The Bass is Playing"..

A Bass is a Bass and a Guitar is a Guitar. Toys are for children!
I can see your point all the way there, Ken, and for you, that approach probably does ruin what is the integral quality of a DB. But what happens when you want that big arco sound and have to travel by air and play some place with a mic'd up drummer? Do you bite the bullet and get a hard shell case and put it on a plane? I'm serious. The EUB is the last thing on my list, but it is on there because of gigs I played where the previous bassist with a pogo stick had a huge advantage over me because I could not control the feedback at the level needed to be heard. Is that when you just smile and break out a Black Tiger and go fusion??? I guess I could deal with that ....
Old 07-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Michaels View Post
I have said before "wouldn't it be boring if everybody played the same gear?" If there was 1 perfect bass and amp for the world it would be less then eventful. I believe KSB are the best instrument built in any price range and I thank Ken for keeping them affordable in comparrison to some others. Tho not inexpensive by any means we are also not gouged either.
I've got to add a +1 to that. The build quality is superior to many that are more expensive. And then there are those that have a maker's name on it who never even saw that piece of wood and they try to get almost the same as a Smith costs for that. I think Ken has hit it just right on the value for price. And you can't beat the consistency of Ken's basses either. Other custom builders, you really might be taking a chance. That's not everyone else, but Ken is nearly in a class by himself as far as consistent extremely high quality.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Posting Member

I was actually posed a question a few days ago. "I was looking at magazine at all the "custom" builders so why didn't have a one of a kind disigned by you bass built"? I told him I did... my KSB. With KSB you get a one of a kind bult for you bass. I don't want somwthing in the shape of a machine/italy/fire plug... I want a classy instrument that I will NEVER play well enough to find a short coming if it even has one.
P.S. I read "Fly Fishing" mags.
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Old 07-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

The KSB web site was my main source of info when I was looking to buy my bass. I found it because I had played and admired a used 5 string Smith at Guitar Center while placing an order for a custom Jackson bass. When Jackson royally screwed up my order I remembered that experience with the Smith and searched out the site. After a couple of days of research I was specing out my custom bass with Ken on the phone and never looked back..

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 07-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Junior Posting Member

Charles Federle is on a distinguished road

I think I might be one of the oldest fashion here in that I pretty much only use word of mouth to decide what I want to buy. Granted since I have a bass that I am very happy with it is almost only other stuff that I might be looking at now (strings and such). But, the only thing I use magazines and the internet for at least with music purchases is to find out about new things and then I would go track down someone that I know is knowledgeable about X product. The other major source of course for me is places like ISB, at the exhibition halls I was very happy to get to play on more bass and bows then I can count.

For electric stuff it has been the same way, granted my electric sits in the corner more then it is played I am afraid, it was through word of mouth that I went out and tried and bought this bass. Which is a Peavey Foundation, which is more then enough instrument then I need, granted one of my friends has a KSB and it is only after playing on his that I would consider owning one now myself.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:43 PM
Posting Member

I found, played and fell in love with my '03 Tiger Maple 5 in INdy in April of '06. After buying that one, ordering a fretless was an easy decisin. Now I play fretless on all but 1 gig I do. To own it is to believe... next time I may opt for the switches tho'
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com