Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Welcome To SmithBassForums

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2011, 12:14 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default respect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Diza View Post
Of all the builders, who of them would you respect the most, both professionally and personally?
Who ever shows respect, gets respect. I don't believe in most of the ideas builders are using today (or yesterday) to either try something different to be fashionable or to copy those that do. Anyone can glue pieces of wood together. Not all of them can make real professional working musical instruments and even less make them comfortable.

Having worked 20 years as a professional bassist freelancing in NYC (is there a tougher 'nut' to crack?) before and during the start of my business, I know what feels good and does the job. My goal was and still is to make real instruments, not toys or gimmicks. If they look pretty, that's a plus. If not, close your eyes and use your ears. Like when you listen to music!

I am sorry to say that this is not a question I can answer in a jovial manner patting every other person on the back making things with strings or kiss any butts. There is so much garbage in this business (and every other business) that it gets harder each day to look in a magazine or pictures on line of what people are making these days. I hope they are having fun doing it because many of them are and will be in the long run their own biggest fans.

Remember the movie with (Harrison Ford) the 'Holy Grail' cup? It was the plain one, not any of the fancy ones.

Also, listen to a thousand great bass recordings. Now go make a bass that can be used to duplicate that. The unemployment line has more bassists doing tricks then those that can just play the bass. My goal again is making working instruments, not circus attractions. .. Be true to your art, or get a day job.. lol