Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 07-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Junior Posting Member

Rory Lane is on a distinguished road
Question What effects pedal would you use?

I am in the market for some effects pedals. In my past I have never used anything but a volume pedal. So my question is to those who use pedals or at least find themselves in the same position I am in. What would be the two must have pedals to start with? Does not have to be brand specific but if you have a favorite brand that isn't $300.00 a pedal I would certainly like to hear about it.
I mainly play R&B, Jazz standards, Jazz fusion and Smooth Jazz if that helps with the choice of pedal you would suggest. Looking forward to everyone's suggestion.

Rory
Old 07-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Posting Member

Scott Pope is on a distinguished road

I would think some sort of a chorus, and an overdrive or bass fuzz, both to lend texture to the ensemble, would be the two most useful pedals. Everything else, given the bass function of providing fundamental to the rest of the ensemble, starts heading towards the realm of "novelty" for a specific selection or voicing, or "special effects."
Old 07-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pope View Post
I would think some sort of a chorus, and an overdrive or bass fuzz, both to lend texture to the ensemble, would be the two most useful pedals. Everything else, given the bass function of providing fundamental to the rest of the ensemble, starts heading towards the realm of "novelty" for a specific selection or voicing, or "special effects."
Back in the '70s, I used to love the Envelope Follower. The Mutron has that and more. The MXR is what I used but the Maestro was out before that I think. Going back several decades now.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Pedals Recommendations?

EBS:

MultiComp - Compression.
UniChorus - Chorus Effect and includes Flanger.
DynaVerb - Reverb (great with fretless).
OctiBass - Octave Divider.
DPhaser - Phase Shifter.
BassIQ - Triple Envelope Filter (great for funk).

As far as top 2 (if I could only choose 2)? The MultiComp and UniChorus. While I generally don't use effects on my bass (only occasionally), the above are about as good as it gets regarding effects pedals: Very clean and totally quiet. I would suggest going to the EBS Web Site and listening to audio samples of these EBS' pedals.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up oh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
EBS:

MultiComp - Compression.
UniChorus - Chorus Effect and includes Flanger.
DynaVerb - Reverb (great with fretless).
OctiBass - Octave Divider.
DPhaser - Phase Shifter.
BassIQ - Triple Envelope Filter (great for funk).

As far as top 2 (if I could only choose 2)? The MultiComp and UniChorus. While I generally don't use effects on my bass (only occasionally), the above are about as good as it gets regarding effects pedals: Very clean and totally quiet. I would suggest going to the EBS Web Site and listening to audio samples of these EBS' pedals.
Yes, phase shifter, not env. on the the Maestro.. Money, money, money.. AJ's bass line.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Junior Posting Member

Tim or Ken

What is the difference between Chorus, Flanger and Phase Shifter?

Rory
Old 08-01-2012, 01:29 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Default Difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Lane View Post
Tim or Ken

Rory
Rory, it's too difficult to describe the differences. It would really be best for you to hear the differences for yourself in either a live setting or by going to the maker's website and listening to samples they provide online. EBS provides great sample soundclips of all their pedals.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Junior Posting Member

Tim

Very helpful site thanks for the info. Now I need only decide which pedals will be right for me.

Rory
Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Posting Member

Scott Pope is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Lane View Post
Tim or Ken
Rory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Rory, it's too difficult to describe the differences. It would really be best for you to hear the differences for yourself in either a live setting or by going to the maker's website and listening to samples they provide online. EBS provides great sample soundclips of all their pedals.
Actually, it boils down to two concepts: 1) the amount of delay, and 2) the amount of "regeneration" (a type of controlled feedback loop)

Chorus is straight delay fed back in, either with or without pitch manipulation, on a relatively subtle level, to imitate exactly that: more than one instrument or voice in a section, or the double strings of a lute, mandolin or 12-string guitar, etc. When I played in a band that did 12-string tunes, and we had gigs in places that I didn't want to take my Rickenbacker due to security concerns, I'd use a Boss chorus instead on my conventional electric guitar and crank the treble.

Flanging has its origin in double tape deck transfer, where to get the "swoosh" effect, the recording engineer would lightly touch the feed reel with his thumb to delay the tape ever so slightly. The offset, combined with the overdub, would give the effect as both were transferred over to the reduction tape deck on the way to preparing the master. The Beatles liked this effect so much that John Lennon, in his inimitable way, remarked to George Martin and Ken Townsend one day, when he didn't feel like double tracking the vocal to get greater depth to the recording, to just "flange" it - a word made up on the spot to describe the technique, as the large multi-track metal tape reels did look like they had a large ridge, the actual definition of the word "flange," and hence, the origin of the term.

Phase shifting is similar, dating from the mechanical scanners that were developed by Hammond organ technicians before the Leslie cabinets were invented (even though they called them chorus -- in the end, it is only a matter of degree), as a variable mechanical or electronic delay of the wave form fed back into the original signal, either singly or as a sequence of cascading waveform manipulation. Again, this gives depth and body to the tone, but also provides selective and variable comb filtering, both subtractive and additive, to give the "airy" or "swirling" effect we associate with "classic" phase shifters, such as the MRX 90 and the Electro-Harmonix Small Stone.

Last edited by Scott Pope; 08-02-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Junior Posting Member

Scott
Thanks for educational moment. I have learned and continue to learn so many things on this site.
Rory