Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chuck Laranjeira is on a distinguished road
Default Opinion

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f144/g...-gamba-760641/

Hi,
Can you help ID the age and value of the bass in the above link?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Laranjeira View Post
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f144/g...-gamba-760641/

Hi,
Can you help ID the age and value of the bass in the above link?
The pictures are not good enough to judge the condition. I would need the bass on my bench to examine it. If it needs a lot of work, the repairs could exceed it's value. The bass looks quite plain to me. Just a factory bass from the second half of the 20th century, in there somewhere.

I see a questionable neck repair and a soundpost area crack repaired (I think) under the muddy varnish. He has been trying to sell this for 1 1/2 years and looks like a carved bass. For $4k, something must be wrong that the pictures do not show. A neck graft, top repair and related work would run $6-8k minimum in the shops I go to. Maybe that is why it's still for sale. The shorter string length suggests a smaller 3/4 bass but not uncommon from that region. The other measurements look normal for a commercial sized modern 3/4.

If that back is laminated then it's a hybrid. In that case, with all that work done or needed and considering it's a hybrid bass, I would not give it a second look. Sorry, but you asked.

Also, read this from post #12, "It's a nice bass but I want to clarify that the one shown with my user ID is a different instrument, not the one for sale."

That is more than 10x the price those basses sold for when I was younger. But, that is NOT the bass he has for sale so the ad is misleading then from what I read.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default Opinion

Ken,
Many thanks.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Junior Posting Member

Michael Cahill is on a distinguished road

Ken,

The bass used in my Talkbass ID is the carved bass with the odd button you saw at Arnold's. I just wanted folks to understand that it was not the one for sale but the hybrid was. Yes, it has been posted for a long time with only two people coming to see it. Both were trying to match the size and feel of their Kay basses. Jed did the work detailed in the posting and declared it healthy.

Michael
Old 11-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool oh.. ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cahill View Post
Ken,

The bass used in my Talkbass ID is the carved bass with the odd button you saw at Arnold's. I just wanted folks to understand that it was not the one for sale but the hybrid was. Yes, it has been posted for a long time with only two people coming to see it. Both were trying to match the size and feel of their Kay basses. Jed did the work detailed in the posting and declared it healthy.

Michael
First off, I was confused with your ID comment. I thought you had the wrong bass pictured. Sorry for that. Second, I did mention that I would need to see it up close to make a real evaluation. Pics don't tell all. Also, I know Jed and his work but you don't mention the Neck or Post area crack in the ad as having been looked at and inspected by Jed for approval. That would be good to do. One side of the neck heel does look open in the pics. The other side looks good. Maybe because I was able to buy my first carved old Czech bass for $200 in 1970, my ideas are jaded. The basic Juzek carved bass back then new was $200 as well from them. Probably a Lang or Wilfer made. I am leaning towards Lang.

I sold a Hybrid Romanian not long ago with a new padded bag for about $3k. They run slightly more now. Because the back is laminated, it's not a bass we consider appreciates in value all that much as compared to a fully carved bass. Having a Post crack kind of kills the value thing if it ever was to be. A proper Post repair is not easy. I have a beautiful 1980s Italian bass in restoration now with a post crack and it was repaired before. We just re-repaired it properly which included an inlaid oval patch thru most of its thickness in the center and fitted and glued in using a plaster mould. Now, the bass will be repaired in a way that I can sleep on. Before, it was hard to look at.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Junior Posting Member

Michael Cahill is on a distinguished road

I have not done a good job communicating the information, I guess. The heel pics are before and after and I should mark them as such. Someone had commented that the bass was "beautiful" so I thought they might be looking at the carved bass in my ID instead of the "plain" hybrid I'm selling. Chuck is going to look at it and then we'll visit an neutral luthier for a checkup if he wants to go further.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cahill View Post
I have not done a good job communicating the information, I guess. The heel pics are before and after and I should mark them as such. Someone had commented that the bass was "beautiful" so I thought they might be looking at the carved bass in my ID instead of the "plain" hybrid I'm selling. Chuck is going to look at it and then we'll visit an neutral luthier for a checkup if he wants to go further.
For selling a bass like that, the before pics can only hurt the sale. Just show what it is you are selling. Keep it simple. Keep it private as far as the work performed on a need to know basis. No need to air your laundry in public as the say.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Opinion

Ok so I went to check it out in person.
I'm a newbie to upright so take my opinion for what it's worth - I think this is a really nice bass. Loud and pleasant tone under bow and pizz. A few hairline cracks but closed and not unusual. The neck pictures are before and after - the repair looks very nicely done as do the neck, tail and other repairs. Also spoke with Jed (great guy to talk to) who confirmed the history and general condition. Michael the owner is a straight up guy and willing to have it checked out by a luthier. Also seemed genuinely interested in assuring the bass was a good fit for me - which ultimately is the reason I did not buy it on the spot. This bass has a chunky neck which as a beginner intimidates me. I'm on the fence if I want to invest the time effort and money in learning upright - it's definitely a BIG change from electric. As for this bass I think it would be a great entry level bass for a younger player serious about lessons and bow. I want to thank Ken, Michael and Jed all great folks whose advice and time I really appreciate!