Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 05-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Albert Nurnberger bow??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rapadas View Post
I just won a Albert Nurnberger bow.I was just seeing what I could get instead of a no name Chinese one.I came across this- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8002&rd=1&rd=1

Anybody know anything about these?From what I can gather I may have done well.I also realize this bass was listed with an inaccurate description .I have watched this seller for some time and, believe the bows he is selling are ligit.The Sartory violin bows he sometimes sells are just like mine.What do you all think?
Sorry, what you got was a forgery copy (name wise only!), most likely from China. Read this about the real Albert Nurnberger from this link;

"Nurnberger, (Franz) Albert II ( 1854 - 1931 ) Worked with his father, Franz Albert I, ( son of Karl Gottlieb ) in Markneukirchen. His father founded the bow making school there. He ( Albert II ) established himself around 1880, using Vuillaume, Tubbs and Touerte bows as models. His brand was also used by his son, Karl Albert ( b1906 ). The earlier bows are superior to the latest models with this family. Others include Johann Christoph, who worked for 5 years with Vuillaume and Philipp Paul, son of Albert II, who established himself in 1897.
Nurnberger Brothers bows- many of the family members stamped their bows "Albert Nurnberger." Franz Albert I (1826-1895) was the son of Karl Gottleib Nurnberger. He founded the bow-making school in Markneukirchen, and instructed there for twenty-five years. He was supposedly a student of Bausch. Frantz Albert II was an established bow maker around 1880. He became one of the the most prominent bow makers in the world. Some of the family productions are more of the "shop" variety. Others rival French bows"

You can expect to pay at least 2-3k for a real Nurnberger Bow. I sell Bows from Classics down to well made Quality Bows made in China as well 'with' names I made up for them from famous Bass makers. Having a name on a Bow means you have a name on a Bow and that's all. From the Ebay pictures, it looks like Brazilwood and finished like many typical Chinese bows as you can see the scratches under the finish on the head/tip of the Bow.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chris Rapadas is on a distinguished road
Default I kinda figured.

Ken,I was 99% sure that was the deal.Oh well,I knew it was WAY to good to be true!Thanks Ken,for your expertise I really appreciate that!BTW,I have been shopping around and I will be saving up for a "real"Bass and Bow.Poss. from You Ken.Oh Yeah,I almost got that Bow for $1.00..