Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 03-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Would you change a Smith?

I thought this would be a very interesting topic. What would you want to see on your dream Smith bass (something that Ken doesn't currently provide), or what changes would you like to see Ken make to his current designs?

For me? I can only think of one thing I would ask Ken to change and while it is a minor one, it would be this:

I'm not certain on the 4-String Smith, however, on the 5's and MD-7's, I would like to see the Truss Rod Cover be redesigned such that the screw holes are positioned such as the 6-String Basses. On the 6's you can easily remove the Truss Rod Cover without de-tuning and moving the strings aside to get to the bottom 2 screws. While I realize it would be a design change to the truss rod cover, it would sure ease the pain of adjusting the neck when necessary.

Other than this, I can't begin to think of any other reason to mess with perfection.

Ok, your turn. Let's hear your input on this.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Screw holes..

Tim, I have this same problem. I used to put the TR Cap on after the Bass was strung up and had to take off 2 of the Strings partially. Then I decided that after the Nut was made and Neck tension tested with the set-up Strings I would then drill the holes and put the TR Cap on to hold the Nut in place and put a fresh set of Strings on then.

This is the way we do it now and have been doing for over 10 years at the Bench. I know it's a pain in the butt to pull 2 Strings off the Nut for adjustments but there isn't much room to do it a different way. Some people that need to make adjustments more often just have one screw at the top holding the Cap on. If that works for you then fine. Other than that, the Neck isn't something that should be fooled with except when needed.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:32 AM
Senior Posting Member

Ahh, I was wondering how you handled this with your final set-ups.

While I agree it can be a PITB, it is a rarity that I would ever need to make a neck adjustment, particularly since I am consistent with the gauge of strings I use. Also, with my basses stored in a humidity controlled environment or even when the basses are stored in their case, I rarely have a need for an adjustment given the stability of your necks.

Ken, while the TR Cap was the only thing I could think of to get this thread jump-started, I do have an idea on what I think would be a simple mod to the TR Cap that would eliminate the need for the bottom 2 screws. Let me know if you are interested in hearing it, that is, if you haven't already thought of it yourself.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 03-07-2007 at 05:53 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Posting Member

Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols

The only thing I would like to see done is customied Truss Rod covers. I know that the name "Smith" goes there, but I am very weird. I like everything to be mine. If not on the truss rod, like on the back on the electronics cover, I would of liked it say "Made for Desmund Nichols."
Old 03-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Posting Member

Steve_M is on a distinguished road

Assuming its purely a matter of personal preference, in an ideal world I'd like:
  • An adjustable nut so I have more control over the set up of the instrument
  • 17mm string spacing at bridge
  • Slightly wider body on the 5's (I'm a big bloke and I like larger bodied basses.)
  • Slightly more durable matt finish (the soft woods on my BSR5-GN takes very minor knocks easily)
  • On stage I sometimes miss the upper mid-range bark of the older BT6's so maybe a sweepable mid control or filter?
No dis' meant to Ken and his fine work meant by these comments. Its just personal taste.

What I LOVE is
  • the chunky neck profile
  • warmth and growl
  • sweet treble
  • gorgeous woods
  • sounds great into the recording desk without need for vast amounts of eq
  • supple feel and easy to play
  • very forgiving instrument
  • very little maintenance needed
Old 03-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

Ya that is along the lines of one of the customizations I wanted when I was ordering mine. I asked for for an abalone/MoP 'F' inlay at the 12th fret position as that's my last initial.

Ken shot it down.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 03-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Senior Posting Member

Desmund, Steve, and Bob. Thanks for your input!

Keep it comming guys!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 03-07-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Posting Member

Roy Diza is on a distinguished road

How 'bout a KS spin on the single cut design, and wood covered PU?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Single cut and Wood Covered P/U's?.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Diza View Post

Hmmm, I'm guessing Ken will respond with a resounding 'Not gonna happen' and maybe refer you to someone like Alembic for this one. LOL! No way he's going to endorese this.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 03-14-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
I never understood why people like single cut designs. I think they would be clunky, heavy, and unnecessarily impede my ability to play in the upper registers.

Wood covered pickups look ok, but I just don't see the need. I'm not sure if it would interfere with the magnetic field around the pickups or not. If it does it's dead out of the gates for me. At no point do I ever want to sacrifice anything in tone for pure looks. If it has no effect then I don't see a real problem with them other than maybe durability.

Can't wait to see Ken's responses.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 03-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Couldn't wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
I never understood why people like single cut designs. I think they would be clunky, heavy, and unnecessarily impede my ability to play in the upper registers.

Wood covered pickups look ok, but I just don't see the need. I'm not sure if it would interfere with the magnetic field around the pickups or not. If it does it's dead out of the gates for me. At no point do I ever want to sacrifice anything in tone for pure looks. If it has no effect then I don't see a real problem with them other than maybe durability.

Can't wait to see Ken's responses.

Ok, here I am. We made Wooden cases for the PUs in the beginning (1979-1983) BUT, moved away from that. The reason is that it moves the magnetic field further from the strings and you loose volume. If made thin, the top of the cover might break or split.. Been there, done that.. no thank you.. have moved on.. NEXT!!

Single Cut? WHY? Structurally, I think it's a 'stupid' idea. With all the concern about even neck Bow and adjustability you are going to LOCK it down on the low sting side while the treble strings pull and twist it from the other side? Is this to create tension in the neck to produce sounds the builder couldn't get by just making a good structural sonic Bass?

I don't know who's idea this was actually but one time when I was fishing on a boat and all the other boats rushed to this splash in the water a few hundred yards away I asked my older friend, "Should we go over there and fish?" His reply was (in a wisdomish way) "One fool draws many!"

If someone can't make a Bass with good neck structure, stability and tonal response, try this? Not in my book!
Old 03-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Couldn't wait.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Ok, here I am. We made Wooden cases for the PUs in the beginning (1979-1983) BUT, moved away from that. The reason is that it moves the magnetic field further from the strings and you loose volume. If made thin, the top of the cover might break or split.. Been there, done that.. no thank you.. have moved on.. NEXT!!

Single Cut? WHY? Structurally, I think it's a 'stupid' idea. With all the concern about even neck Bow and adjustability you are going to LOCK it down on the low sting side while the treble strings pull and twist it from the other side? Is this to create tension in the neck to produce sounds the builder couldn't get by just making a good structural sonic Bass?

I don't know who's idea this was actually but one time when I was fishing on a boat and all the other boats rushed to this splash in the water a few hundred yards away I asked my older friend, "Should we go over there and fish?" His reply was (in a wisdomish way) "One fool draws many!"

If someone can't make a Bass with good neck structure, stability and tonal response, try this? Not in my book!

And there you have it. It just doesn't get any clearer than that! Ken, you never disappoint. I wish I could have written that response.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Senior Posting Member

Well, he pretty much backed up every concern I had about wood covers on the pickups, and added a structural argument to backup my issues with the ergonomic and playability issues I had with single cut.

Works for me.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 03-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up The Master Has Spoken!

Quote:

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I LOVE Ken Smith already! After examining many basses and custom bass web sites, words cannot express how glad I am that this gentleman is building my bass.

I plan on getting him to build me at least a couple more before I check out of here, Lord willing!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Our not yet dearly departed Ronson......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I LOVE Ken Smith already! After examining many basses and custom bass web sites, words cannot express how glad I am that this gentleman is building my bass.

I plan on getting him to build me at least a couple more before I check out of here, Lord willing!
Well now Albert, looks like Ronson has us covered. Bless his heart! One for me, one for you, and one for Ronson to take with him! Now everyone is happy!

Old 03-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Well now Albert, looks like Ronson has us covered. Bless his heart! One for me, one for you, and one for Ronson to take with him! Now everyone is happy!

LOL!!! Tim, you are good, and quick on the draw! I should've known you'd put that deal together!

Well, seeing that turnabout is fair play, I see Our buddy Al has three, and you have waaaaaaaaaay more than three, so...we're all covered, huh?
Old 03-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
LOL!!! Tim, you are good, and quick on the draw! I should've known you'd put that deal together!

Well, seeing that turnabout is fair play, I see Our buddy Al has three, and you have waaaaaaaaaay more than three, so...we're all covered, huh?
Yeah, I think we are more than covered! LOL!

Old 03-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Posting Member

Smile

Quote:

No BS, and to the point. Since you shot down the SC & wood PUPS ideas, I'm curious as to what's in the horizon for new designs. It's been almost ten years since the BSR was introduced, and I'm such a big fan of your basses, so it would be nice to see what's in store for us. So what in store for us ?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:44 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool What's in store?

Quote:
No BS, and to the point. Since you shot down the SC & wood PUPS ideas, I'm curious as to what's in the horizon for new designs. It's been almost ten years since the BSR was introduced, and I'm such a big fan of your basses, so it would be nice to see what's in store for us. So what in store for us ?

For me: I'm hopin more of the same! Why fix or change something that's not broken? I'm playing a BT5G from 1992. I can't think of a bass on the market today that compares, except perhaps the latest Smith Fusion Elite 25th. Anniversary model. For me it's all about the feel, quality craftsmanship and sound.

Great question though! I'm looking forward to Ken's response. I'm sure I won't be surprised or disappointed.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
For me: I'm hopin more of the same! Why fix or change something that's not broken? I'm playing a BT5G from 1992. I can't think of a bass on the market today that compares, except perhaps the latest Smith Fusion Elite 25th. Anniversary model. For me it's all about the feel, quality craftsmanship and sound.

Great question though! I'm looking forward to Ken's response. I'm sure I won't be surprised or disappointed.
I totally agree. His basses are true classics and timeless. Since he made so many innovations in the past, I'm curious to see what coming up. I've had 3 Ken Smith basses in the past, and all of them were great.