Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road
Default Clean/Polish

I always make a habit wiping my bass down with a soft cloth (no water or polish or anything like that, just a cloth) after every few days.

I've noticed that since moving the bridge there are marks as to where the feet used to be. Is there any kind of polish that can get rid of this without damaging the varnish?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Stark View Post
I always make a habit wiping my bass down with a soft cloth (no water or polish or anything like that, just a cloth) after every few days.

I've noticed that since moving the bridge there are marks as to where the feet used to be. Is there any kind of polish that can get rid of this without damaging the varnish?

Thanks
First off, does the bridge fit as well now as it did before in the 'moved to' position?

Second, what was the string length then and now (how much did you move the bridge)?

Third, was the sound post moved and re-checked as well after moving the bridge?

Forth, was the Heel then a D-neck and what is it now?

And Fifth but not least, to answer your question, polish may not be what you need. Polish is meant to be used as a cleaner/polisher. You may need that 'old foot' area re-compounded or touched up if you want it to look perfect. Also, if the wood is at all scratched or dented, just live with it or have it touched up, professionally ofcourse.

If wiping it with a dry or slightly damp cloth (not wet) doesn't work then it needs attention to the finish or wood.

My personal motto is often "if you have to ask, take it to a professional you trust".
Old 03-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Posting Member

Paul Warburton is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Old English Scratch Cover @ your grocery store. Be extremely careful with it though...it has some stain in it. Mask off your bridge because it will get into raw wood. It comes in a couple different shades. I've been using it for many years.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
First off, does the bridge fit as well now as it did before in the 'moved to' position?

Second, what was the string length then and now (how much did you move the bridge)?

Third, was the sound post moved and re-checked as well after moving the bridge?

Forth, was the Heel then a D-neck and what is it now?

And Fifth but not least, to answer your question, polish may not be what you need. Polish is meant to be used as a cleaner/polisher. You may need that 'old foot' area re-compounded or touched up if you want it to look perfect. Also, if the wood is at all scratched or dented, just live with it or have it touched up, professionally ofcourse.

If wiping it with a dry or slightly damp cloth (not wet) doesn't work then it needs attention to the finish or wood.

My personal motto is often "if you have to ask, take it to a professional you trust".
Hey Ken,

1) The bridge fits surprisingly well. The feet are still in perfect contact with the body.

2) The original string length was 41.75" and I had it reduced to 41" by having a 1/4 false nut made and then I just moved the bridge up roughly 1/2". The reduction was quite necessary as I have short fingers.

3) The sound post was moved accordingly by a luthier. Out of curiosity, what would happen if it was kept in the original spot?

4) It was originally a D-neck. It feels pretty much identical.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question

Quote:
3) The sound post was moved accordingly by a luthier. Out of curiosity, what would happen if it was kept in the original spot?
The sound post position to the bridge would be 1/2" further away by your own description? This will change the sound of course and depending on where it was, may not be so healthy for the Top for the Bridge to be moved further away.

Is this the bass you were trying to sell?

Also, if this work was done by a Luthier, why didn't you have him take care of the top area where the old feet scars are rather than asking in a public forum? Do you trust him less than you do us?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Senior Posting Member

Sigh, is it impossible to get a non judgemental answer? And yes, as I stated. The post was moved up half an inch or so. I was curious as to what would happen if you didn't.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool judgmental?

Quote:
Sigh, is it impossible to get a non judgmental answer? And yes, as I stated. The post was moved up half an inch or so. I was curious as to what would happen if you didn't.
Judgmental? You think my reply was judgmental? I was only trying to fill in the blanks. had you been more descriptive in the beginning I would have had less questions and less to say.

I just took 4 basses back from various types of work from Arnold. He is 3 hours away, 6 hours driving back and forth. If I have a question about his work or anyone else's for that matter, I will call them on the phone and discuss it with them. If I need to do something myself to fix or tweak something, I will ask them. That's just me.

I answered what would happen above, right?
Quote:
The sound post position to the bridge would be 1/2" further away by your own description? This will change the sound of course and depending on where it was, may not be so healthy for the Top for the Bridge to be moved further away.
Ask away..
Old 03-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Senior Posting Member

The question wasn't about moving the bridge up. The question was about the imprints left by the bridge. But now that you mention it I've searched through several threads here where you've moved your bridge up 1/4 - 1/2 an inch. What's the big deal? To win a job these days you need to be able to play fast. Having an instrument that's too long for you and keeping that way for the sake of pride is silly.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool well..

Quote:
The question wasn't about moving the bridge up. The question was about the imprints left by the bridge. But now that you mention it I've searched through several threads here where you've moved your bridge up 1/4 - 1/2 an inch. What's the big deal? To win a job these days you need to be able to play fast. Having an instrument that's too long for you and keeping that way for the sake of pride is silly.
Yes, many bridges on my basses have been moved but usually not after being made. Just in the sense of the position. The soundpost is fitted or made after the bridge position is determined and set. It's all about timing here. As far as playability, yes, it has to be playable. The notches in the FFs are a guideline, not a religion.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Senior Posting Member

Indeed. The Maarinsky Orchestra with Gergiev came over here for some concerts this week. I had a chance to talk with the section after. They all were fantastic musicians that could REALLY play. I was surprised to hear that the basses that they were using for the concert were their main instruments. The "nicest" ones were the front-desks; both Pollman Gamba five-string basses. The other instruments were all around 10,000.00. One was a Juzek with a false-nut and the bridge about 1 inch about the FF notches.

Measurements and specifications can be a means to an end. These guys could make anything sound great.

My two cents.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool a Juzek?

Quote:
Indeed. The Mariinsky Orchestra with Gergiev came over here for some concerts this week. I had a chance to talk with the section after. They all were fantastic musicians that could REALLY play. I was surprised to hear that the basses that they were using for the concert were their main instruments. The "nicest" ones were the front-desks; both Pollman Gamba five-string basses. The other instruments were all around 10,000.00. One was a Juzek with a false-nut and the bridge about 1 inch about the FF notches.

Measurements and specifications can be a means to an end. These guys could make anything sound great.

My two cents.
A Juzek coming here with a Russian Orchestra? Must have immigrated there somehow from the states. All the old Juzek labels (1920s to 1970ish) were put on the Wilfers in New York. Some of them had 43-44" lengths on their 7/8 models. I myself made a False Nut for one back in the last '70s before selling it. Just got it down to around 42" at best as I remember.

These basses were made on either side of the German border. First I think in Schoenbach before the war and later in Bubenreuth after it.

The bigger basses usually have a good sound if maintained and sometimes modified as there basses were made for the trade mainly. Pollmann's always sound good in Orchestyra settings. I will play next to one this weekend.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Warburton View Post
Old English Scratch Cover @ your grocery store. Be extremely careful with it though...it has some stain in it. Mask off your bridge because it will get into raw wood. It comes in a couple different shades. I've been using it for many years.
This stuff definitely works, but one should be cautious never to apply it to an open seam or crack, as the oil in the product can pollute those areas and prevent proper gluing.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:39 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thank you very much to Ken, Arnold and Paul for taking the time to reply.

Much appreciated.