Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 10-20-2013, 12:12 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default Picking a Temp!

I just did a concert tonight with an orchestra. My 2 main basses (Hart and old Lion) are both out for some seasonal tweaks so I had to pick something else to play. Last Sunday I used the Mougenot at a rehearsal for a concert next month and it felt big compared to my other 2 regulars but manageable. So at this last Wednesday's rehearsal for tonight's concert, I brought the Kruetzer. A very workable bass for all styles. Then I was thinking of using the Mougenot to get some old Mojo in the sound that the newer Kruetzer doesn't have in comparison. I also have another concert coming up doing Brandenburg #4 with a Chamber group within the main Orchestra I play in so I need a bass for that too. I was all over the place on what to use including my Hofner 5er. After a bit of practice on the 5er for a day or too I decided not to try it being much more comfortable with the 4-string (with or without Extension). So, the next choice with the Bach in mind was the Marconcini school bass. Smaller and more manageable but no extension on it for the few low notes the piece has. So, last night I bring the Marconcini for the dress rehearsal of tonight's concert and all is well but, there are several low notes in the Mozart we played (for Orchestra and winds, a C and some Eb's). One other piece had half a page of low Ds so I tuned down for that during a long rest and it was fine. Tonight I pulled the bass out to practice a bit before the concert, re-visited the Mougenot and packed that up and played it tonight. Now, I have a rehearsal for the Bach this coming Wednesday. I have to pick either the Mougenot (maybe too much for this sound we need), The Kruetzer (has Extension but not a real old sound) or the Marconcini (old sound, nice 3/4 but, no extension). So, without one of my older 3/4ish basses with a C-extension, I feel quite lost.. lol.. As soon as I sell one of the other 3/4s (Hart or old Lion), I think the Marconcini should get an Extension. Then, I wont have to write this half-mental case I am having after a concert and before the next. (all basses mentioned can be seen on my DB website section here; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/)
Old 10-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up ok..

So, for the Brandenburg I think it's going to be the Prague/Viennese bass.

It's easy to play, I like the neck, the sound is good and it will fit the music. Before my next concert after that, I should have my old Lion back but I can do without the extension if I so choose to. There are only a few low notes in one piece and 2 of the other guys in a section of 4 can play them and 2 can play up. No biggie!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool ok, done..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
So, for the Brandenburg I think it's going to be the Prague/Viennese bass.

It's easy to play, I like the neck, the sound is good and it will fit the music. Before my next concert after that, I should have my old Lion back but I can do without the extension if I so choose to. There are only a few low notes in one piece and 2 of the other guys in a section of 4 can play them and 2 can play up. No biggie!
I changed strings on the bass a day before rehearsal from old Permanents to new Solo Helicores and out of the pack they were way too edgy so I brought the Marconcini school bass to the rehearsal on Wed.. The Italian sounded a bit too heavy for the piece so I played in the new solo strings for a few days and brought Viennese/Prague school bass/Violone out today. The lighter solo string set sounded much better with the Cello and Harpsichord for the continuo work and all went well with.