Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 03-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Junior Posting Member

David McLaughlin is on a distinguished road
Default Bass Shops in NY City 1930s 1950s

Ken, or anybody else…

I'm wondering what bass shops were in New York City in the old days (1960s or earlier) that sold or serviced double basses. I'm guessing that the Juzek's shop was one. Where was that exactly?

Also, I've been told that there was a guy in his 70s in the late 1950s on 7th Avenue where the orchestra players took their basses for service. Do any of you know who that guy was?

Any other shops you can think of?
Old 03-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool shops..

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McLaughlin View Post
Ken, or anybody else…

I'm wondering what bass shops were in New York City in the old days (1960s or earlier) that sold or serviced double basses. I'm guessing that the Juzek's shop was one. Where was that exactly?

Also, I've been told that there was a guy in his 70s in the late 1950s on 7th Avenue where the orchestra players took their basses for service. Do any of you know who that guy was?

Any other shops you can think of?
Metropolitan Music on 222 4th ave (Park ave./18th street) was the Juzek office/warehouse. They adjusted what they sold but was not a repair shop.

Ideal Music who also imported basses and other things was on 21st st./5th ave. Again, sales of new instruments but not repairs.

Then, there was;

Andrea Fantoni on 42nd St. and Fred Olivero on 7th ave in the 50s but years earlier Olivero & Fantoni were partners. Olivero was more laid back in personality than Fantoni or at least when you mentioned one of them to the other. Paul Biase took over the Fantoni shop around '74 or so. He is still there.

James Callman was on 8th or 9th ave. in the 50s a few blocks from the Union Building. I was there at least once.

There was a repair label in an Italian bass I had named Giovanni Maria Scalzilli. He cut down and restored the Loveri I had in 1937, before my time.

I think Traegers shop opened in the mid 1970s. I remember going there with a bass for a set-up and that was my only time there. I had heard or read that he trained with Kolstein (Sam) out in Long Island. Also, Sam Kolstein that had done bow work for Wurlitzer may have started his shop in NYC as well but again, before my time. Barrie could give you that history much better I'm sure.

I don't know what they did at Wurlitzer's as far as basses. Also on 57th street were a few violin shops. I had visited at least one that I recall. I remember in an early ISB booklet (1970?), one of the 57th st. shops had a couple of basses for sale so nothing is out of the question.

I am sure there were more shops but this is all I can remember for the moment.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Junior Posting Member

David McLaughlin is on a distinguished road
Default ...all I can remember for the moment.

Wow! As always, Ken, you're a valuable wealth of knowledge. I really appreciate it!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Posting Member

Steve Alcott is on a distinguished road

When I got my Olde Tyrolean in 74 or 75 I brought it to Traeger at 115 Christopher for a complete setup. It was the talk of the town (Rochester), as most bassists there were still going to the local violin guy. I'm pretty sure a couple of well-known luthiers were apprenticing with him at the time.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Alcott View Post
When I got my Olde Tyrolean in 74 or 75 I brought it to Traeger at 115 Christopher for a complete setup. It was the talk of the town (Rochester), as most bassists there were still going to the local violin guy. I'm pretty sure a couple of well-known luthiers were apprenticing with him at the time.
I went to Traeger for just one set-up and never went back. Maybe I caught him on a bad day but it wasn't for me. I dealt mainly with Fantoni in the earlier days and then Peter Eibert for some repairs (north of the city) and then to Biase after that. I also did a bit of my own work. It seemed that I knew what I wanted and could get the job done without leaving the house. The rest is history.. lol
Old 12-04-2019, 04:27 PM
Junior Posting Member

Neil Garber is on a distinguished road

I remember making the trek up to Hastings, NY from Staten Island, and later Manhattan, to bring my bass to Joe Cilicek. Does anyone remember him?
Old 12-04-2019, 11:06 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Garber View Post
I remember making the trek up to Hastings, NY from Staten Island, and later Manhattan, to bring my bass to Joe Cilicek. Does anyone remember him?

I drove up once just to meet him. He was quite busy. I didn't need any work but just took the time to know about him.