Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > DB Strings at Ken's Corner..

Old 03-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up New Eurosonic Orchestra Strings!

A New Orchestra/Jazz String is coming to town!

Last year I tested two sets of Strings for JR Music. They were light and medium tension Strings. I gave my comments and a few weeks ago received the Lights made to the specs we discussed as well as the Mediums. They produced several sets of the Light tension Strings but only one set of Mediums which I have on one of my Basses now.

What are these like? Well, I have been testing and trying many strings and as many of you know, my main String has been Flexocor for Orchestra but I have no relation with Pirastro other than trying out some strings for them and giving my results which have yielded zero in terms of response from them in design changes. They actually discontinued their best Ext. E/C String which is a reverse of the direction I think they should have gone..

These new Eurosonic Orchestra Strings Pizz great as well but not like a Spiro Red. More like an Obligato or Jargar with a softer feel. Also, I tested the Oliv/Eudoxa combo on my Bisiach Bass so I decided to put the new Lights on that Bass as well for its final test.

The results? Well in my opinion try putting Olivs, Eudoxas, Obligatos and Jargars in a blender! Both the Medium and Light sets are about the same thickness but the Tension is different. They Bow smooth, loud and deep and Pizz with a thickness better than most regular steel Jazz strings. They feel almost like Olivs under the fingers and stay in tune better. They Bow close to the Olivs and Jargars and better than Obligatos. I have them on my Bisiach and I personally vote them as the best new string on the market today.

Will I private label these as my own? No, not at this time but the offer was made by JR if I wanted to. I think that they have the most to do with this String by making them and I would rather support them than compete against my own supplier at this time.

Where to get them? I just received a few sets for Stock and now have them '4-Sale'. The direct price is $144 per set discounted. Currently, only the Light Tension is available which I would call "Regular Tension". In the future the Medium tension ("Firm Tension" to me) will be available. Also on the horizon will be a 'C/E' Extension String in both Tensions.

For Basses with a weaker sounding E in comparison to the G, D and A, the Medium E with the Light/Regular Tension set might be the fix but until the Mediums are made and in stock, that thought is on hold.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:58 PM
Posting Member

Michael Case is on a distinguished road

Man you're killin' me!

Myspace
Old 04-22-2007, 09:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Wink Killin you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Case View Post
Man you're killin' me!
Well, "the truth (and $144. plus shipping) will set you free".
Old 05-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Posting Member

davidseidel is on a distinguished road
Question user experience?

Any updates from those trying these strings after a few weeks use? they certainly sound like they are worth a try.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up after the weeks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidseidel View Post
Any updates from those trying these strings after a few weeks use? they certainly sound like they are worth a try.
Well, I got 3 new Basses in a few weeks ago and put these Euros on them as well. They all sound great and play nice. They feel almost as soft as Obligatos but bow in the same class as Flexocor and Belcanto. I get my Bisiach back in a few days and then I will know better. Jeff has had it for the last month fitting a C-Ext. I gave him an old Superflex for the E/C as Eurosonic doesn't have the Ext. string yet. I will play the Bass with this set-up for the next few weeks in at least two concerts and then report back as far as the Strings go.

My current opinion is that these are very good strings for just about any Bass. I put them on a Plywood, a Hybrid, a new Carved Bass and my Bisiach not to mention a test set of firm tension on my 3/4 Shen. So far, all the Basses are working just fine.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up well.. (duped from Orch. section)

I just put a set of these Eurosonics on a new English Bass I got in this week and I must say they are smooth sounding, easy to bow and light to the touch. This is a new Bass for me so I have no idea how other strings will sound on it but this is the best I have heard these strings or rather felt and played on them. This Bass here;
Old 02-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Ken, I get something of an idea of what they're like, but how would you say they differ from Bel Cantos for bowing and solo playing? Do they carry the tone all the way up to the end of the fingerboard? And I take it that they are responsive even if you aren't using ten strokes of Pops every day?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up well..

I just put the exact set that was on that English bass above. I took them off because that bass is getting a C-extension and different strings by a customers request. Just yesterday I took the Guts off the Pollmann and put the 'used' Euro.Orchestra strings on it and wow, it sounds better than I recall it sounding with the Flex 92s I had on it originally. Last night I did an Orchestra rehearsal and took out the Pollmann. I don't recall ever being so loud in that hall. The G and D sound great bowed or pizz'd and the A and E have some 'bite' to them. They don't make an Extension set and will not due to the machine length they have but if you want a good 4-string set and fairly priced, these are worth the try.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Hm. I am for obvious reasons quite interested in strings that seem to fare well with a Pöllmann Bussetto. A Bel Canto set should arrive soon; if I am not satisfied, I suppose I could do some pioneering with those Eurosonics.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Larsson View Post
Hm. I am for obvious reasons quite interested in strings that seem to fare well with a Pöllmann Bussetto. A Bel Canto set should arrive soon; if I am not satisfied, I suppose I could do some pioneering with those Eurosonics.
These are sweeter sounding than the Bels which I think are slightly dry sounding and with slightly less color.

You are in Europe? There they are sold under the Presto name but make sure it's the new Orchestra set, light gauge. That is what I have and use here.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Junior Posting Member

stkowalski is on a distinguished road

hi ken,

first time posting here. after reading this thread for a few months i decided to take your advice. now, i have tried many strings in my day and have never been impressed with any strings for orchestra playing/solo playing. the best choice for me was always the flexocor (red bottoms) thin verison for the upper three strings and a stark spirocore for the E string. I tried the bel cantos and they where great sounding strings in the lower end of my old italian bass. but i hated playing anything in thumb position, the tension was just too much. since i am always looking for the best string i tried your eurosonics light tension for the upper three strings and the medium for the E string. at first i was a little sceptical, i like the way the strings felt with the bow and everything seemed easy for the left hand. the only problem was that it seemed the D string and A string were a bit tinny, bright, almost metalic sounding. the following week i was teaching a lesson and asked my student to play my italian bass with the eurosonics. after moving only five feet away i was blown away with the sound. the bright, tinny, metalic sound disappeared and the bass sounded louder and fuller then ever!! these strings are amazing, thank you ken for talking about these strings.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkowalski View Post
..... my old italian bass. .....
hi mr kowalski, welcome to the forum where everybody wants to see pictures of old italian basses...

Last edited by Anselm Hauke; 05-07-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Posting Member

Eric Rene Roy is on a distinguished road

Yes Mr. KOWALSKI, lets see some pictures!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Wink Mr. Who? from where?>

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkowalski View Post
hi ken,

first time posting here. after reading this thread for a few months i decided to take your advice. now, i have tried many strings in my day and have never been impressed with any strings for orchestra playing/solo playing. the best choice for me was always the flexocor (red bottoms) thin verison for the upper three strings and a stark spirocore for the E string. I tried the bel cantos and they where great sounding strings in the lower end of my old italian bass. but i hated playing anything in thumb position, the tension was just too much. since i am always looking for the best string i tried your eurosonics light tension for the upper three strings and the medium for the E string. at first i was a little sceptical, i like the way the strings felt with the bow and everything seemed easy for the left hand. the only problem was that it seemed the D string and A string were a bit tinny, bright, almost metalic sounding. the following week i was teaching a lesson and asked my student to play my italian bass with the eurosonics. after moving only five feet away i was blown away with the sound. the bright, tinny, metalic sound disappeared and the bass sounded louder and fuller then ever!! these strings are amazing, thank you ken for talking about these strings.
Ok, first off, message me with your real full name as required for the Forum and then update your 'Profile' with an actual location. Please, thank you.

Then, maybe instead of this,
Quote:
first time posting here. after reading this thread for a few months i decided to take your advice. now, i have tried
you can post like this in the future,
Quote:
First time posting here. After reading this thread for a few months I decided to take your advice. Now, I have tried... etc..
Oh, and the typos .. Late for a Gig with that old Italian bass?.. lol

Oh, and yes, these strings do sound good for the money on all of the Basses I have tried them on. Under the ear (like on so many basses and strings) they are not as pleasant as they are from a distance.

Because they do not make a low C extension string (and I like all 4 matched for sound) I don't use them on any of my regular Basses which are all Low C/Extension equipped. Other than that, they are a good string to add to the menu.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:48 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

Ken, are these the Eurosonics (aka Prestos), you speak of?

http://www.presto-strings.com/nw.html

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product...S_STRINGS.html

I notice they come in ultra light, light and medium but on the PRESTO sight they mention that you should use SANDPAPER on the strings where you bow...
Old 09-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Posting Member

Drake Chan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Marks View Post

I notice they come in ultra light, light and medium but on the PRESTO sight they mention that you should use SANDPAPER on the strings where you bow...
Nope. Those are the regular nylon-wound Eurosonics. They're meant to be used by bluegrass and rockabilly players who slap, as they are a low-tension "gut substitute" string.

The Eurosonic Orchestrals are a steel-wound strings for orchestral playing (duh). Quinn carries them (the second row).

http://www.quinnviolins.com/qv_eurosonicbass.shtml
Old 09-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Marks View Post

The ones we have which Presto I believe makes to a design I developed for JR Music is a steel string like a Flexocor. I only have the light gauge but we did develop a medium gauge. I re-termed them as Regular and 'Firm' I believe as the Lights feel normal and just about the same gauge thickness. The Mediums are just stiffer. I have the proto-type medium set on a bass at home. I only carry the ones they call light.

Unfortunately, JR Music is using the exact same name to sell both styles of strings hence the confusion. Contact them for more information if you need.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Posting Member

Martin Sheridan is on a distinguished road
Default EuroSonics

Ken,
I got around to trying these strings recently and I think they're fantastic.
Rich sent me a set called "light" but they are really a medium gage to me and he commented that they were going to change the designation to that. Anyway, they pizz and bow very well and are therefore a great string for me to use to show my basses. I'm planning on getting two more sets asap.
Thank you for telling us about these strings.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Sheridan View Post
Ken,
I got around to trying these strings recently and I think they're fantastic.
Rich sent me a set called "light" but they are really a medium gauge to me and he commented that they were going to change the designation to that. Anyway, they pizz and bow very well and are therefore a great string for me to use to show my basses. I'm planning on getting two more sets asap.
Thank you for telling us about these strings.
Yes martin, I agree on that Gauge naming thing. Measuring these and the set they marked Medium while testing the samples I found them to be almost the same exact diameter for each string.

I call this Light labeled set 'Regular' gauge and the one they call medium, 'high tension'. I happen to have that 'medium'/high tension set right here at home on my '97 Shen/Gemunder 1000 model.

I agree that they bow well and Pizz well. They are not the best Bowing or the best Pizz/Jazz string one can buy but they do deserve a spot in line with them. My problem with these strings is not the strings themselves but the fact they don't make a c-extension model. I was told that their machine cannot make them any longer than they are now. Also, when trying these on bigger basses like my 4/4 Gamba or 7/8 Mougenot, they barely reached the most upper Tuning gear. The Mougenot is closer to a 4/4 in its string length need as the neck is quite long and the peg box is as well.

They are what they are to me. A good string that works well for the bow and fingers combined. The price is slightly cheaper than the Pirastro or Thomastik line of strings. Still, I use the more expensive ones because of the C-extension issue. I am not one to mix brands or styles within a set. I like the tone and tension even across the bass.

I am glad to hear you like them. I got just about 'zero' credit for helping with their design. My fingers remember them well from changing and testing strings but unless I tell someone, they will never know I was even involved in their development. I worked only with/thru Rich at JR and in turn, JR worked with Presto. Presto probably doesn't know I was involved unless someone tells them. No problemo, I just wanted the string in the end and got it..
Old 10-23-2009, 07:35 AM
Posting Member

Martin Sheridan is on a distinguished road
Default nurf

I'd like to see them add that little fuzzy nubbins at the tailpiece end of the string that most string makers use. I do like that the tailpiece end has a holding piece that will fit through the hole of the tailpiece. (There must be names for these two things?)
I'd had Helicore's on my Carcassi model and first replaced the D and G with the Eurosonics. My first impression was that I didn't like them. I put the bass in the corner, came back a couple of days later and couldn't believe the volume difference between the two brands. So I changed out the E and A too.
When you are in the position of showing basses it's really a relief to have a string that will demonstrate both pizz and arco and not have to change the strings out. Until now I've used Helicor Orchestra strings because I think they're a better hybrid than the hybrid.
I'm still a big fan of the original Flexocor for arco and Spirocore Weichs for pizz. I tried a set of Bel Cantos recently and was really disappointed after hearing so much praise for them. Maybe it was the bass? The Bel Cantos came out just as I was moving to Mexico and I didn't get to try them out until late spring. Everyone has been raving about those strings, but at least on this bass the Eurosonics performed better especially on pizz, and they're about half the price.
best,