Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > English Basses & the British Isles

Old 10-06-2008, 01:06 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Hawkes & Son.. (The Official KSB Hawkes Bass Discussion Thread)

Personally I have known about the Hawkes 'series' Basses since I was in High School and that's before some of our members were born..lol

I first learned about them from the Elgar book. The confusion for me has been the Hawkes Bass models and where they have been made. I include this Thread in the English section 'only' because the Firm was located in London. I do not at all imply that 'all' of the Basses were of English make. In fact, the majority of them were imported from Germany and some from France.

"Known as Hawkes & Co. from 1860 to 1875, the firm was first established in 1860 as an importer of brass instruments in London by William Henry Hawkes (1830-1900).."

Rivière & Hawkes; "This partnership in London between William H. Hawkes and Jules Prudence Rivière (b Aix-en-Othe 6 Nov 1819; d 1900) was begun in 1865 with the establishment of the journal, The Musical Progress (Newsome 1998, 95). It specialized in brass and military band music. The company was called "Rivière & Hawkes" by 1876. Rivière had emigrated to England in 1857. The company dissolved with the withdrawal of Rivière in 1889. Their business was located at 54 Castle Street, Leicester Square."

The above two paragraphs are from the link listed above. Why did I include that? Well, one of the bigger confusions to me are the French made basses and the dates of "Riviere and Hawkes", the name itself.

I have seen a few Basses listed as Riviere and Hawkes with proper dates before 1889 and they were spitting images of a Jacquet Vuillaume style French Bass. One was offered to me as an attributed Claudot but I passed on it. After it was sold, the Top was taken off and an old Riviere and Hawkes label was found under the dust inside the Bass. This was the real deal. A French made Hawkes. I also have to make mention here to the Contrabass Shoppe in England. They have posted several Hawkes' of all 4 models made in 3 different countries, Germany, France (R&H) and England. Tony Houska of the CB Shoppe also has some very good information on the companies activities. Still, there is information yes to be discovered. Tony mentions who made them most likely in France, the R&H models. The English made ones are reported to have been made by the Hawkes & Son (company name after 1889) by their string repairer named Robert Green. This I believe is mentioned in the Raymond Elgar book.

Recently I have seen two so called 'Riviere and Hawkes' Basses for sale. One looks like the Concert model and is labeled as such with the R&H label dated 1897 but looks German made. The other has a Bohemian type emblem similar to an old Juzek type Bass (not Juzek though) and is dated 1910. These are both impossible because the Riviere and Hawkes company was dissolved in 1889 which is on record.

The four general types of Hawkes Basses I am aware of which I think start with the Riviere and Hawkes company name are;

1) the French looking Basses similar to Vuillaume models,

2) the Panormo model Round Back with a Purfled "H" under the Neck Button (2 or 3 sizes known) later made after 1890? (until at least 1924 where their catalog still offered a 3-string option),

3) the Concert model Round Back and outer Rib Linings sometimes with a Purfled "F" under the Neck Button which is similar to the Panormo but have been advertised by dealers as made either in France with the "F", Germany or even London. This Concert 'middle' model origin-wise is the most confusing to me and

4) the Professor model similar model to the Panormo and Concert but with a Flat Back and outer Rib Linings. These are usually advertised as German made but I have seen at least one listed as made in London.

Well, this has been as confusing to me as I guess it is to you reading this. Regardless of where the Basses were made, they all carried the Hawkes label with the company address as London. That label has 'zip' to do with where they were actually made. Were all the Professor models made in Germany? Were all the Panormo models made in London? Were any of the Panormo'ish models made in France with outer Rib Linings?

Try looking up any of the names I mentioned above in the Violin Books and see what you come up with. Practically nothing. The reason I mention 'Houska above with his Link is because he has offered the most 'real' and historical information about this company. For that we must all thank him and others as well when they put the work in to uncover lost history.

I recently took in a Hawkes Professor for evaluation as a possible trade towards another Bass I have in the Shop but this one is unlabeled. I spoke with the restorer who knows this Bass from the inside out and brought it back to life from its neglected state about 4 years ago. I also sent pictures to several Shops in London as well as a few I know here in USA. They all agree that it is more than likely a German made Professor. Then I asked a each one of them where in Germany were they made and by whom if at all possible. Some had no idea or in one case a dealer who shall remain nameless said he knew exactly what it is and by whom but would not give out 'free' information.. lol.. Ok.. no Problemo.. A few couldn't say as they don't really know for sure and were honest about it. Three other opinions ranged from Hornsteiner? (Mittenwald school), Rubner? (Markneukirchen) and from a shop/s in Shoenbach/Luby (German Czech border). Basically, somewhere in Germany! My opinion from the Scroll and Scroll varnish (which is the only pure example of it being the Bass body was entirely over-varnished out of necessity) is in agreement with the Mittenwald/Hornsteiner/ish theory.

Here are a few Pics of this Professor which by London standards of the Hawkes models is the bottom of 'that' particular 'food chain'. My friend owns a newly acquired English? Panormo "H" model Hawkes and brought it to my shop the other day to compare with mine. His has more bottom end spread. This one has a slightly smoother silky tone and for me easier to play over the shoulders with the Flat Back. His Bass in the market place though brings more money because of the model and condition as well.

Here's a German made Professor (3-string converted to 4);

This Bass however regardless of how nice she looks still needs some repairs and set-up work. I have played it at one Orchestra rehearsal so far but only as a road test to better evaluate it.

If you have a Hawkes Bass of any variety or think you do, please post it here on this thread for discussion. Be careful with using pics from other websites. I don't know what the exact Web laws are but being that we have been doing this for years, it should be done in a respectful manner if at all.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

Ken, this bass reminds me of a Hawkes a friend of mine was considering a few years ago. I think that bass lived in Kansas City at the time. I remember a broken violin corner repair... Can you tell if that is the original scroll?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Scroll..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
Ken, this bass reminds me of a Hawkes a friend of mine was considering a few years ago. I think that bass lived in Kansas City at the time. I remember a broken violin corner repair... Can you tell if that is the original scroll?
The Restorer seems to believe it is as well as all the others that have seen it. Still, no guarantee but it does fit the Bass well. It was a 3-string Scroll and was converted a long time ago from the similar but not identical 4th Gear used.

I will try and find out where the Bass was before 2003/4, the completion date of the restoration being 2004.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

i´ve often seen hawkes´ that were as dark as this one. the most seemed to be overvarnished to me.
ken, do you think the color is original?

edit: and i´ve seen many light brown/golden/red ones, that looked much better imho
edit2: nothing against this bass, sure it´s a great instrument
Old 10-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Varnish..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke View Post
i´ve often seen hawkes´ that were as dark as this one. the most seemed to be overvarnished to me.
ken, do you think the color is original?

edit: and i´ve seen many light brown/golden/red ones, that looked much better imho
edit2: nothing against this bass, sure it´s a great instrument
Well, the Varnish on the Scroll looks 100% original. If the Scroll matches the Bass which most believe it does, then the color was dark to begin with. I was told that the Varnish was a mess already on the Bass when it reached the Restorer. He did his best to match it back up. I don't know how much of the Bass has original Varnish or if any of it is aside from the Scroll.

On the origin, we do not know where these were made or if they were made in different German shops over the years. The guesses of both Rubner and Hornsteiner could both be correct if the demand was there of if changes were made at different time periods. If I had to choose between these two sources providing they were correct then I would go with the Hornsteiner as that's what it resembles most as far as the varnish on the Scroll and the FFs. The Model is totally English with a mixture or Panormo which includes Maggini with the Flat Back. It is possible that several different shops produced these Basses over time using the patterns and Specs (inside and out) provided by Hawkes of London, hence the English look!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb and..

On the UK Gallery Strings website they talk about the Basses in order they were produced with the French being first and then the Flatback German model with the Panormo being last to come. The Contrabass website seperately lists the French model history from the other 3 models. On one Bass they have in the Archives which is a Flatback Professor model they make mention of the original label in the Bass "The instrument bears it is original Hawkes & Son label from Denmark Street, Piccadilly Circus, London dated 1904, No 3160."

Does this imply that it was made in London or just the company's address that imported and sold them?

Gallery Strings also shows a Professor model that claims it was actually made in London ("one that was actually made in London c1910"), and not Germany (Saxony) where the Flatbacks were reportedly made.

So, just more confusion I think and the reason for starting this thread to begin with. So many Basses produced but with practically no traceable history to read about in the Violin books other than a few mentions here and there.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Arrow Also..

Notice that all the Concert models (unless since altered) have French Gears on them while only the Panormo has English Baker style Gears. Maybe the French Gears most likely purchased as a high end alternative to the Bakers (and better than the German Gears available or for marketing or both) have added to the confusion that some of these 'Panormo/Concert/Maggini/Fendt-like/non-French models' might have been made in France. Just keep in mind with this that Gears can be bought and put on anything so French Gears alone does not constitute French made. This goes as well for Labels!
Old 03-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb French Panormo..

This week I think I saw my first actual French made Hawkes in the Panormo model. I have seen pics and heard claims but never had one in my hands. This looked similar to the English model but with French Gears. The inside Linings are wider inside which is typical of the French. This Bass did not have outer linings/moldings like the German models have. The other Frenchies were made earlier and were Jacquet style basses with the older Riviere & Hawkes firm which dissolved in 1889. So, if you see and claims with that label after that date, it's a fraud. This Bass that I saw and played had been refinished in recent years so I wasn't able to look at the French Varnish. Still, it was a nice Bass. It had the Purfled 'F' under the upper back Button.

I know I have doubted this in the past but after seeing one in person and discussing this exact Bass with Arnold I am convinced that some of the Panormo shaped models were made in France. Most likely under contract with the Hawkes patterns and specs. The internal work I imagine would tend to more or less emulate the Shop or country of origin. I would estimate the dates to be from the 1890's and on into the early 20th century. I don't know anything more than that at this time.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Posting Member

Brian Glassman is on a distinguished road

Beautiful Hawkes, Ken! Yes, I've often seen Hawkes floating around in various shops and no one seems to know enough about them. What's your sound impressions on yours? Great Panormo-ish shapes to them.

Didn't I read a post of yours once that talked about them being made for the British military bands? Perhaps that would be a good direction for further research?

Thank you for always expanding the collective DB knowledge base.

PS Mazel Tov! on the Big English Gamba Beast, I can just about hear it from N. Jersey
Old 03-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool my Hawkes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Glassman View Post
Beautiful Hawkes, Ken! Yes, I've often seen Hawkes floating around in various shops and no one seems to know enough about them. What's your sound impressions on yours? Great Panormo-ish shapes to them.

Didn't I read a post of yours once that talked about them being made for the British military bands? Perhaps that would be a good direction for further research?

Thank you for always expanding the collective DB knowledge base.

PS Mazel Tov! on the Big English Gamba Beast, I can just about hear it from N. Jersey
Brian, I don't have one of my own. That Bass belongs to someone else. I just had it here for a week or so and took pics and posted it by permission.

The Gamba beast will go out tonight, first rehearsal. Maybe i will use it in concert on Saturday if I can hit all the notes on it. Playing the Romeo' suite and have a few high note jumps to make. One is octave G to 'E'.. eek.. Another is A harmonic up on the D and then the F below the 2nd octave G on the G-string and crossing over to the C on the D string up in the clouds. Know the piece?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Arrow Just in..

I just got in a beautiful Hawkes Bass. I have played several over the years but this one ranks with the best of them. I gave it from a basic set-up re-cutting the Bridge top and re-slotting the Nut as well as changing the strings.

The Bass has a recent Neck graft but looks to be more of a European type set up with the Neck being thicker and the Fingerboard thinner. The Fingerboard is new with the graft but shaved down quite a bit for that old school gut string set-up. For now I will leave it as-is but if down the road it gets a C-Extension, I will have the Neck re-done as well as a new thicker Fingerboard as well.

This one I believe is an early 'Hawkes & Son' Concert model but has a few things that puzzle me. The Bass seems to be German with slightly narrow outer linings/mouldings but the inner Linings inside are easily an inch wide like we see on French basses but not quite as thick. The Corner Blocks are well scalloped between the corners and the bottom block is quite narrow. With the Ribs being nearly 9" deep the bottom block looks even smaller in its width by comparison.

This Bass (from looking in the pegbox) was made as a 3-string as the old middle hole plug is visible. The conversion must have been done not long after the Bass was made as it has 3 of the original gears but all 4 worms and handles match, just one slightly different Gear. The Gear Plates are the 4-string ones but evidence of 3-string Plates are under these. The Gears now are where my head spins a bit. Most of the Hawkes imports have French Gears. This is on all of the German made models as well as the French 'F' models. The English made 'H' model always has English Baker Gears. This is the Pamormo pattern I am talking about and not the Jacquet Vuillaume model made earlier by Riviere & Hawkes in the 1880s. The Gears themselves look French. The buttons/handles look like English Bakers and the Worms of the Gears are in between Bakers and French Mirecourt Gears. The Gears are also pinned in the back of the Peg Box like some French Basses are done. To date, I have never seen this on German or English Basses.

The wood looks to be German and of high quality with nice flame in the Back and Ribs but the Back flame is much more visible in the raw looking inside the Bass. The Top is nice even gran Spruce with a big of 'bear claw' in it here and there. The Varnish however seems to have faded in hue over time which is something I have seen on a few French Basses, mainly on red varnished instruments fading to an olive brown. This one shows only some fading in areas.

The number that was stamped in the pegbox before getting destroyed in the graft process dates it back to around 1895 or so from what we could find. If anyone has a dating system for the Hawkes Basses or dates and numbers of particular Basses, please share it with us here.

I will have some pics available in the future because my son Mike who does all of new the web pages is away at College and has very little free time when he does come and visit on the occasional weekend.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up ok..

Here she is, the newest addition to the Hawkes Thread.

Concert model from Germany?

A Luthier friend of mind emailed me pictures of what he thought was a similar bass but other than the basic model and color of Varnish it was quite different. That one (not mine) has a Label in side from Josef Rubner, Markneukirchen. Josef (b.1864, d.1927) is the oldest of this family starting his shop in 1885. His son Otto (b.1885, d.1963) later worked with him and took over the shop. His son Johannes worked with him as well carrying ion the tradition but I think only Joseph or maybe Otto could have been involved in the Hawkes basses.

The differences between the Rubner Hawkes and mine differs in The Scroll, Tuners, F-holes, Back bend, Top bend, Neck Block and outer lining size. It seems that Hawkes & Son contracted them at some point to make Basses as this is labeled but mine by the Tuners seems older and the neck block more of a Mittenwald style than Markneukirchen. It may also be possible that Hawkes & Son contracted more than one shop at a time. In discussing the pictures of my bass it seems that it was more of a handmade bass than something from a factory. Perhaps 'shop-made' where they made a few at a time.

Mine started out as a 3-string and was converted to a 4 with a similar 4th gear added. The Rubner-made Hawkes bass was a 4-string from the start with the gears being quite different. Both basses have some type of French looking Gears but not 100%. The Rubner has French handles and German Gears. Mine has English handles with French Gears.

The two basses look like the same model but interpreted by the shop that was contracted to make them. Later Concert models that I have seen look totally uniform to each other but these two seem something like an early attempt at it.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road

Nice bass Ken!
Old 12-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up uh huh... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gencarelli View Post
Nice bass Ken!
Yes, thanks.. This one I am fairly certain is from Germany. Another one that we are at least 100% sure that it's from Germany is different in it's features from this one but the model and outline are the same. The Varnish looked the same as well but if mine was a Mittenwald contracted bass and the other Markneukirchen made as labeled, then possibly these were imported 'in the white' and then varnished and completed in London. Also, the gears on both bass although different had 'parts' from France like we see on French basses mainly from Mirecourt. One had French handles on the tuners with nice quality German gears and mine has French Gears and worms but English handles. I doubt that Germany did much trading with France in that respect but I am sure that England imported from both thus my theory.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:44 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up a night out..

I took the Hawkes out tonight to an Orchestra rehearsal to see how she sounded and felt. This was a 2 1/2 hour rehearsal with about 2 hours of actual playing (including counting rests and turning pages..)

I was surprised a bit on how it handled. It was actually easy to play a 2 octave C scale on the A string when I was warming up. Going up the D and G was not much of a problem but reaching over to play up the A string to the end of the fingerboard was the true test. I got over the shoulders just fine.

Jed Kriegel who used to work with Arnold made the current Neck and graft as well as setting it out quite nicely. This was by far the easiest to play Hawkes I have ever laid my hands on.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Junior Posting Member

RobertRyanAshley is on a distinguished road
Default Mystery French Bass

Riviere and Hawkes? Jacquet? Derazey? Maucotel?
Labeled Joseph Rocca 1836
Not sure if a false button was removed at some point and replaced by that fleur-de-lys -esque inlay.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Junior Posting Member

RobertRyanAshley is on a distinguished road

Sorry didn't realize those pics were quite so large.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Pics..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRyanAshley View Post
Sorry didn't realize those pics were quite so large.
First off, try reading this and maybe you can edit the size down. http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?t=100

On the Bass itself I think it's French. I saw one other bass labeled from Turin by an Italian maker (Rocca I think was from Turin as well) that was a dead ringer for a Mirecourt Bass. Turin is so close to France that the culture is intermingled. So might be the distribution and re-labeling business.

This bass above was first on line from Lemur a few years ago. The Gears are Italian as I had a Bass years ago with those very same gears. I was told they dated to about 1880. The bass on the other hand is a Vuillaume style influenced pattern. Whom ever came up with it first I can't say but most of the credit usually goes to JB Vuillaume.

I don't know who the maker is there but I would not say Riviere-Hawkes. Those Basses are from Joseph Jacquet who partnered with a man named Barbezant and became Jacquet-Barbezant. The Gears on all of these Basses are the typical Mirecourt gears. It is also possible that the Scroll is either not original or someone found the gears and replaced the ones from Mirecourt. I don't think that bass is as old as labeled. Maybe off by 50 years or so. A french bass re-labeled and sold by a shop in Turin? That is also a possibility.

Just guessing from the Pics. Only a personal in and out inspection could 'maybe' determine what that bass was meant to be.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road
Question

Came across this, Ken. Are you familiar with Bailey and any connection to R&H? English made?

http://www.sothebys.com/en/search.ht...=double%20bass
Old 01-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Bailey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
Came across this, Ken. Are you familiar with Bailey and any connection to R&H? English made?

http://www.sothebys.com/en/search.ht...=double%20bass
Never heard his name before. Perhaps he was hired to finish up or set-up the basses if supplied incomplete or un-finished in the white that was supplied by on of the French Firms. Also, British firms have been known to label or brand instruments that they only sell in their shop made by others, new and old.

I have seen pictured a few R & H basses and two in person that were claimed to be. One was false as the date was off by over 20 years and German/Bohemian made and the other was 100% a French bass that first was thought to be a Claudot or Jacquet. Only after the bass was opened for restoration was the label found hidden inside from R&H. The R&H firm/name was closed in 1889 and then the name of Hawkes & Son replaced it. I think they have to date 1880-1889 to be genuine regardless of the label used or the dealers opinion.