Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Joshua phelps

Default space in winding @ bridge

Old 12-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Joshua phelps

Default details

This is a brand new set of belcantos that i just installed today & was curious if the spacing in the winding was normal. This bridge was set up by a great luthier (nick lloyd) & the previous set of strings were the same gauge (med) spirocores so i figured i could rule out the string notches being the wrong size.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Round over the slots in the bridge. Make the slots with a round file at no more than about .010" of an inch bigger than the measured diameter of the string. Never under the string diameter! I like the depth of the slots to be about 1/2 - 3/4 the diameter of the string at most. Then, lubricate the maple bridge slot with a pencil. The Nut usually being ebony is self lubricating as well but a little pencil there wont hurt.

I measure the string diameters with a dial caliper or micrometer and then I measure the file and mark the same diameter on the round rat-tail file. Then, just filing them to the measured line on the file will make them slightly bigger as you need with the motion of the human hand.

Fixed diameter files sold as luthier supplies do not allow for the variance in gauges of the various string brands or gauges within them. I have cut 1,000s of slots in brass, bone, plastic, composite, ebony and maple that I can remember.

Diameter is one thing but you must angel it towards the tailpiece and fingerboard to avoid sharp edges that grab the windings. Still, the string centered under pressure over the top of the bridge might separate by nature anyway. Cutting the best possible slots will help to avoid any excess distortion of the string.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Joshua phelps

Thanks for the reply ken. These strings are tuned to pitch & have had a few hours to sit & stretch, do you think this is a major Problem for this set or more of a "no biggie" situation? The main reason I ask is because there are 0% luthiers that are worth while in Memphis & im afraid to do any work on my bass other than a string swap.
Thanks
Old 12-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Joshua phelps

Default The outcome

One at a time, I took just enough tension off e then a & took one of my small round files and just barely ran it across the top facing the scroll & the bottom towards the tailpiece (like you said) just to make sure it was smooth so the winding wont catch then before replacing the strings in their notches I put a decent amount of pencil graphite. I dont have calipers to get exact so I didn't even try to reshape I just barely smoothed them out.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua phelps View Post
One at a time, I took just enough tension off e then a & took one of my small round files and just barely ran it across the top facing the scroll & the bottom towards the tailpiece (like you said) just to make sure it was smooth so the winding wont catch then before replacing the strings in their notches I put a decent amount of pencil graphite. I dont have calipers to get exact so I didn't even try to reshape I just barely smoothed them out.
Yes.. you can look at the file and string and hold them side by side to get the right thickness of file to match. It is mostly feel for me but my eyes and fingers feel those small measurements naturally by now. If you can play the bass and drive a car, I think you can tweak a bridge. It is not that hard. Just takes some knowledge how-to, the right tools and some finesse. Sounds like you have it under control now.