Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 10-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Posting Member

Ruben E garcia is on a distinguished road
Default So it begins

Meet my project... I got the craiglist bass, the guy who sold it, was a very nice guy... he thinks is a pre-WWII bass... looks old to me... but what I know... is top carve... spruce I assume... back carve... maple I think... got some ebony trin, in one side in the other side.... wood filler, got some cracks on the ribs and there is a patch on one rib also... has a crack at the bottom front, looks like someone made some repairs on it... i dont see any repairs inside the bass...
here are some pictures...PS the guy also gave me the sound post... and a nice ebony tailpiece

You can see the cracks at the bottom front

Ebony end Pin

the back has a litle opening too

I dont know if you can see there is a crack on this rip

a patch

the machines are very smooth

Old 10-31-2010, 04:31 PM
Posting Member

Default So it begins

the neck looks fine, some figured wood, maple right???

The ebony trim

the front

the back

Now the question is... did i do good? any comments???

Where do i start... I want to make the bass playable... I am more concern about the playability of the bass than the looks... I think the distress look with a litle TLC is better than a new looking bass.. I guess I dont want to make unesesary repairs, that at the end decrement the quality of this instrument.... I LOVE IT....

one more thing I guess I need a book that taugh me how to repair DB's... what u guys recomend?

Last edited by Ruben E garcia; 10-31-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

In my opinion you need to get (and read) the Violin Repair book by Hans Weisshar. It is considered the "bible" for string instrument repair, and will not teach you bad habits. My thanks to Jeff Bollbach for turning me on to this great resource many years ago.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne holmes View Post
I think you did really good if it's carved. Good pictures. In some places it looks carved and in others I think that I see more than one layer.

One has to be impressed, inspired and even encouraged by your obvious passion and persistance.

There are a couple of things that stand out to me that lead me to believe that it had a pretty good maker and that it wasn't the cheapest model made in its day. The purfling is impressive if its inlayed and not painted on later. And, my experience has been that if you see a neck that has grain as the neck of your bass does, that the maker thought the bass worthy of a more expensive neck.

I wonder, since the neck looks long to me, if the scale length is a 43.5 inches.

You're on your way Ruben. Proud of you and happy for you!
Thank you Wayne I am following your advice, and every one good advise on this forum for pointing me in the right direction.
Now I need a good book about the subject…
Now the front is carve for sure and the back I think it have to be carve too (In my opinion), why because the curve, and the joint in the middle, you can also see in the label picture the little squares running thru all the back plate.

Well the dude say it was 41” not too sure I will measure and I’ll let you know
Old 11-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

Ruben, when a master luthier like Arnold Schnitzer suggests something, you really need to take it seriously and thank him for taking the time to help you. If you're planning on being a luthier that does fine work, you are probably going to have to invest some money in your education. Find the book used if you can. Why don't you look into apprenticing with someone?

I only jump in here because I know the futile feeling of trying to help people on forums and then either being rebuffed or ignored. Good luck with your project.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
Ruben, when a master luthier like Arnold Schnitzer suggests something, you really need to take it seriously and thank him for taking the time to help you. If you're planning on being a luthier that does fine work, you are probably going to have to invest some money in your education. Find the book used if you can. Why don't you look into apprenticing with someone?

I only jump in here because I know the futile feeling of trying to help people on forums and then either being rebuffed or ignored. Good luck with your project.
Thank you for pointing that… I very humbly apologize if I came across like dismissing anybody advise… I do have an deep admiration for one an every one of you guys… and that’s why I am here seeking for your advise…I wish I could have that book, trust me I was looking for it… I am checking up all that you guys suggest, and I going to see and local luthier as soon as possible too…
Old 11-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road
Talking

Ruben, have no fear, no feelings were hurt. If you are in the Atlanta area, you could try and look up Emory Clements, a fine bassist and equally talented luthier. And seriously, start your search for a copy of the Weishaar book, even if you have to borrow one (and run to the copy center). Naah, I didn't mean that.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:36 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

Nice photos - looks like a good project to me! Keep us posted!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Ruben, have no fear, no feelings were hurt. If you are in the Atlanta area, you could try and look up Emory Clements, a fine bassist and equally talented luthier. And seriously, start your search for a copy of the Weishaar book, even if you have to borrow one (and run to the copy center). Naah, I didn't mean that.

I am glad… Thank you Arnold, Eric is right, the simple fact that u are tacking the time to offer your advise could humble anyone… when I saw ur work… I was totally speechless for a while… seriously it has to be a collection of the most beautiful DB's that I ever seem… I will do my best to own that book. Mean while I have to get my hands on every book, video or internet information that I can get. And also invest time on mastering my skills.. I am feeling like I need to take this DB to an Luthier, I will call Emory to see if he can see me… I don’t know where to start, I think this DB is close to be playable, after gluing the FB… I don’t really know where to start or what to do next.. I need the kind of experience that u cant learn by reading or browsing.. Again thank you

Update:
I sent an email to Mr. Emory, lets see if he can see me

Last edited by Ruben E garcia; 11-02-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
Nice photos - looks like a good project to me! Keep us posted!
Thank you, well I checked the top yesterday with a mirror like Wayne suggest and found that it being repair... so I think so far that this bass could be put together after gluing the FB, nut and bridge...but first I am planning on taking this baby to an qualify luthier, so he can tell me what’s need to be done, I am also trying to find out if the back is carve as well…
Old 11-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Posting Member

by the way how old u guys think this bass is?
is anyone have an idea of the back is carve, just by looking at it?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker

if the back has a centre joint visible from inside and outside, and if the grain pattern on the outside matches - more or less - the pattern of grain on the inside, and if the edges where damaged are not chipped like plywood, its carved.

Looks carved from where I sit.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben E garcia View Post
by the way how old u guys think this bass is?
is anyone have an idea of the back is carve, just by looking at it?
I don't see anything that indicates a laminated back. I say it's all solid.

As for age - my guess would be something like 1940's... but I'm not really qualified to say.

On second thought, maybe a little later. heh.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:09 AM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road

I second the visit to Emory! Definitely worth it, if not just to play his basses. (The ones he made...)

He is a super nice guy and will hopefully mentor you.

BG
Old 11-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
if the back has a centre joint visible from inside and outside, and if the grain pattern on the outside matches - more or less - the pattern of grain on the inside, and if the edges where damaged are not chipped like plywood, its carved.

Looks carved from where I sit.

I see what u are saying, I will take a closer look, ones I get home tonight….I think its carve on the back
Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gencarelli View Post
I second the visit to Emory! Definitely worth it, if not just to play his basses. (The ones he made...)

He is a super nice guy and will hopefully mentor you.

BG

I sent him an email yesterday, hopefully he will be able to see me…. Wow Mentor! that would be nice J
Old 11-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Posting Member

Default update!

I have spoken with 3 luthiers so far and the estimates for the repairs range from $4500 to $1200,just the fingerboard goes from $1000, to $600, and $350... some of then don’t want to do it, they said its too much work ... last night one told me that the back opening in the back need to be fix of the bass can break, the rip crack is not a big deal, they said don’t mess too much with the cosmetic appearance that bass players don’t care for that J, I think the top repair its ok (I wish I could do something about the top crack appearance)
. I got one more to go, and I trying to find out if I should open the back or the Front top first

Last edited by Ruben E garcia; 11-16-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Posting Member

U guys left me all by my self , that's ok... Update!!! I did get some advise from one luthier, I am going to be opening the front to repair the bottom and the back opening, he explained how to…(He recomend not to open never the back because the bass will lost it shape!!!) I am waiting for my DB repair book to arrive, and he also showed me an used ebony fingerboard for $200, nice figure but it worries me a little knot in the back and a little wave in the front, I made a sketch for u guys to see it, by the way if you want to recommend somebody to buy a fingerboard from or you have one send me a PM, I am not at the point where I need one but I would like to start studying the case

Click image for larger version

Name:	fingerboard.GIF
Views:	3739
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	1925
Old 11-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben E garcia View Post
U guys left me all by my self , that's ok... Update!!! I did get some advise from one luthier, I am going to be opening the front to repair the bottom and the back opening, he explained how to…(He recomend not to open never the back because the bass will lost it shape!!!) I am waiting for my DB repair book to arrive, and he also showed me an used ebony fingerboard for $200, nice figure but it worries me a little knot in the back and a little wave in the front, I made a sketch for u guys to see it, by the way if you want to recommend somebody to buy a fingerboard from or you have one send me a PM, I am not at the point where I need one but I would like to start studying the case

Attachment 1925
You have long way to go 'til you need a fingerboard! Worry about the rest of the bass first!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Posting Member

Default So I pop it

I posted this on TB… this is what I did this weekend:

The Bottom Block :

The Front repair: