Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 10-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Junior Posting Member

Karl Clews is on a distinguished road
Default What's underneath a Burner's paintjob?

Hi there,

I'm a new member, having just acquired a 97 Burner. I've been looking for one of these for quite some time, as a way of testing the water before I take the plunge to find a 'real' Smith, after having heard one at a blues jam session in London about 10 years ago. I don't know who the player was, or what song he was playing - I just remember that the tone of his Smith was the most gorgeous bass sound I'd ever heard, even through the knackered old house amp. I've had many basses since then, from 80s Steinbergers, through Jazzes, Stingrays, Status and Alembic, but I've never found anything to compare with the sound I heard that night.

Anyway, my new acquisition is finished in solid black. However, I'm not a great fan of paint finishes - I much prefer the look of wood. So I'm wondering, if I strip the paint off, what's underneath - what body woods were used in these basses, and is it likely that they will be worth seeing, or should I just stick with the black finish? I would be very grateful to hear from anyone out there who's tried such a refinishing job on a 90s Burner, or from KS himself, if he can tell me what the woods underneath the paint may look like. If the woods were particularly pretty, then I'm guessing the decision wouldn't have been made in the first place to paint over them, but maybe that's not necessarily the case? I'm just going off my previous experience with stripping down an old 80s Aria - that turned out to be made of plywood ... I imagine Burners were made out of something more substantial!

Many thanks, anyway!

Karl
Old 10-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Clews View Post
Hi there,

I'm a new member, having just acquired a 97 Burner. I've been looking for one of these for quite some time, as a way of testing the water before I take the plunge to find a 'real' Smith, after having heard one at a blues jam session in London about 10 years ago. I don't know who the player was, or what song he was playing - I just remember that the tone of his Smith was the most gorgeous bass sound I'd ever heard, even through the knackered old house amp. I've had many basses since then, from 80s Steinbergers, through Jazzes, Stingrays, Status and Alembic, but I've never found anything to compare with the sound I heard that night.

Anyway, my new acquisition is finished in solid black. However, I'm not a great fan of paint finishes - I much prefer the look of wood. So I'm wondering, if I strip the paint off, what's underneath - what body woods were used in these basses, and is it likely that they will be worth seeing, or should I just stick with the black finish? I would be very grateful to hear from anyone out there who's tried such a refinishing job on a 90s Burner, or from KS himself, if he can tell me what the woods underneath the paint may look like. If the woods were particularly pretty, then I'm guessing the decision wouldn't have been made in the first place to paint over them, but maybe that's not necessarily the case? I'm just going off my previous experience with stripping down an old 80s Aria - that turned out to be made of plywood ... I imagine Burners were made out of something more substantial!

Many thanks, anyway!

Karl
http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/bsrb/bsrb.html

Specifically;
BSR 'B' Standard (DISCONTINUED)
Features an Onyx Black High Gloss Finish over an Alder Body.

So, it is Alder. Looks like plain wide grained Poplar or Maple if you have never seen Alder.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Junior Posting Member

Karl Clews is on a distinguished road
Default wood

That was quick - thanks, Ken!
Alder, then - not the flashiest-looking of woods, but a nice easy one to refinish - so I'll certainly look into getting it stripped down.

Thanks for your help!

Karl
Old 12-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Junior Posting Member

Barry Baker is on a distinguished road
Default Did you strip down your bass ?

If so, how did it come out ? I am looking at a bass similar to yours and the paintjob is in rough shape.