Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) (http://www.smithbassforums.com//index.php)
-   Woods, Electronics, & Components (http://www.smithbassforums.com//forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Is it only me... (http://www.smithbassforums.com//showthread.php?t=1386)

Jens Westerinen 01-11-2010 07:02 PM

Is it only me...

... or are the output jacks on Smith basses getting worn out remarkably fast?
The two new I have (-01/-03) tend to be quite loose already.
Have you noticed that too or am I abusive to my Smith basses only?
Haven't experienced such tendency with other brands I've owned.

Tim Bishop 01-11-2010 08:31 PM

Jacks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens Westerinen (Post 17407)
... or are the output jacks on Smith basses getting worn out remarkably fast?
The two new I have (-01/-03) tend to be quite loose already.
Have you noticed that too or am I abusive to my Smith basses only?
Haven't experienced such tendency with other brands I've owned.

What cables are you using?

Jens Westerinen 01-12-2010 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bishop (Post 17412)
What cables are you using?

Different ones but the one I use most is the one a use when I practice and that one's labled X-lines.

Tim Bishop 01-12-2010 04:21 AM

Hmmm......

Not familiar with those cables. Out of all the Smiths I've played over the last 12 years, I've only had one output-jack fail. That was a good 8 years ago.

Do you use a straight 1/4 or angled plug-end going in to your bass?

Jens Westerinen 01-12-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bishop (Post 17427)
Not familiar with those cables. Out of all the Smiths I've played over the last 12 years, I've only had one output-jack fail. That was a good 8 years ago.

Do you use a straight 1/4 or angled plug-end going in to your bass?

Straight...

Tim Bishop 01-12-2010 12:06 PM

Straight.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens Westerinen (Post 17433)
Straight...

Is it possible, given the straight 1/4 plug-end, that your output-jack is taking some hits while plugged in? Given the placement of the output-jack on the bass, you really need to be extra careful when using the straight 1/4 plugs into the output-jack. With the angled plug-end you reduce the impact to the output-jack in the event you sit the bass down while plugged in or whatever other impact may occur to that area of the bass while plugged in. Make sense?

Ken Smith 01-12-2010 01:32 PM

Jack spring

All Jacks have an inner spring to hold the Plug. Top mount Jacks can be squeezed back as needed but barrel Jacks like these cannot. Some Cables on the Market with slightly over-sized tips or plugs can, will and do prematurely strip the strength of these springs. The Jacks/Cables that have been reported to have 'killed' the most Jacks in the last 20 years are those made by Monster. They are aware of this and use a type 2 on the cables that kill them. The regular sized type 1 is not as damaging. Jacks lasting 10 years or so are evident by this. Jacks lasting weeks or months tell a different story.

Jens Westerinen 01-12-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bishop (Post 17434)
Is it possible, given the straight 1/4 plug-end, that your output-jack is taking some hits while plugged in? Given the placement of the output-jack on the bass, you really need to be extra careful when using the straight 1/4 plugs into the output-jack. With the angled plug-end you reduce the impact to the output-jack in the event you sit the bass down while plugged in or whatever other impact may occur to that area of the bass while plugged in. Make sense?

I've always used straight plugs and I'm not any more abusive to my Smith then any other of my basses.

It makes total sense what you're saying and I have thought about getting angeled plugs but haven't had this problem before so just haven't.

Jens Westerinen 01-12-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Smith (Post 17435)
All Jacks have an inner spring to hold the Plug. Top mount Jacks can be squeezed back as needed but barrel Jacks like these cannot. Some Cables on the Market with slightly over-sized tips or plugs can, will and do prematurely strip the strength of these springs. The Jacks/Cables that have been reported to have 'killed' the most Jacks in the last 20 years are those made by Monster. They are aware of this and use a type 2 on the cables that kill them. The regular sized type 1 is not as damaging. Jacks lasting 10 years or so are evident by this. Jacks lasting weeks or months tell a different story.

So you think i might have been using over sized plugs that can hade led do this?

Ken Smith 01-12-2010 04:20 PM

plugs..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens Westerinen (Post 17440)
So you think i might have been using over sized plugs that can hade led do this?

Not you, the cable maker. The difference can be .002" difference.

Tim Bishop 01-12-2010 05:08 PM

Well.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens Westerinen (Post 17438)
I've always used straight plugs and I'm not any more abusive to my Smith then any other of my basses...

It doesn't have to be "abuse". It only takes stepping on the cord while pulling away at an angle that can apply additional stress to the output-jack.

Tim Bishop 01-12-2010 05:14 PM

Well......

Quote:

The problem may be determining what "type" you have (oversized or not).

Tim Bishop 01-12-2010 05:16 PM

Others.....

Quote:

I've heard others here on the Forum recommending George L's as a solution to this issue.

Tim Bishop 01-12-2010 05:22 PM

Plug-ends....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens Westerinen (Post 17438)
....It makes total sense what you're saying and I have thought about getting angeled plugs but haven't had this problem before so just haven't.

I'm only suggesting angled plugs as a possible solution and to illustrate how the angled plug could mitigate damaging these output-jacks. I also use straight 1/4's but again, I am very careful and over-aware of my surroundings and that potential "hit" that might occur to the plug at the output-jack. I'll even go as far as to unplug the cable from my bass until I am ready to play. Plus, this also helps extend battery life. : )

Jens Westerinen 01-12-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bishop (Post 17451)
It doesn't have to be "abuse". It only takes stepping on the cord while pulling away at an angle that can apply additional stress to the output-jack.

Yes, but I don't step any more on the cord while palying a Smith then any other basses. :)

Jens Westerinen 01-12-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Smith (Post 17443)
Not you, the cable maker. The difference can be .002" difference.

Ofcourse. So I would need to find another over sized cable or just change the jack.

Jens Westerinen 01-12-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bishop (Post 17454)
I'm only suggesting angled plugs as a possible solution and to illustrate how the angled plug could mitigate damaging these output-jacks. I also use straight 1/4's but again, I am very careful and over-aware of my surroundings and that potential "hit" that might occur to the plug at the output-jack. I'll even go as far as to unplug the cable from my bass until I am ready to play. Plus, this also helps extend battery life. : )

Sounds alot like me. I'm very careful too. :)
Just wanted to hear if any body else also have noticed this compared to other brands but it seems like my basses has been exposed to something any how. Not just the jack that tends to wear out fast.

Tim Bishop 01-12-2010 06:48 PM

Hmm.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens Westerinen (Post 17458)
....seems like my basses has been exposed to something any how....

Well, if you bought them used, no tellin what type of history is behind them. Is it possible the issues you have were inherited?

Tim Bishop 01-12-2010 06:49 PM

What else?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens Westerinen (Post 17458)
....Just wanted to hear if any body else also have noticed this compared to other brands but it seems like my basses has been exposed to something any how. Not just the jack that tends to wear out fast.

What else has "worn out"???

Tim Bishop 01-12-2010 06:51 PM

No.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens Westerinen (Post 17457)
Ofcourse. So I would need to find another over sized cable or just change the jack.

No, not "over-sized" cable, but one that fits that barrel-jack better for you. Have you tried the George L's?