View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 01:27 AM
Posting Member

Michael Holden is on a distinguished road

Yes IMHO that is the one of the hardest part about handmaking a bow, the balance of the bow. An inexpensive, student model bow will fight you everyway, that's what's happening to me now.
Right now I'm getting 5 Horst John bows in the mail to try out, and looking for much better balance, and sound. I just try everything in my power to use every bow that I come in contact with, If you pick up one bow, then pick up an identical bow from the same bowmaker, it will be completely different. Some great bassists use bows that are only about $500-$1,000 just because it is perfect for them. That's why I don't agree with a lot of people (not going to mention names) who brag about their bow made from a very reputable bow maker, and paid thousands and thousands of dollars for it, and they ignore the $400 bows... when those $400 bows they ignore may be the best bow they have (n)ever used.
So be sure you don't say "okay ... I'm getting a nice bow from a decent bowmaker, it has to be good" ... you may get it and it be crap (not saying the bow will... but for your playing style it may not work).
Uptonbass.com has a bow that I want very badly. Unfortunately they don't have the option of trying the bow before purchasing. So I'm not going to purchase it just because of that fact. chances are it's a good bow... but I'm not going to fork out $2,000 for a bow I'm not 100% is going to be perfect for me.
Good luck looking for that perfect bow... I'll tell you from my recent experiance... it's a lot of work , fun work, but work none the less