View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
Seems to me like in the case of a good strong neck joint then that the brunt of an impact is going to be focused on the point of the neck where it's already weakest. Does anybody think that maybe a neck without graphite, one that can absorb and evenly distribute shock, might actually be safer in the case of an otherwise well made and healthy bass?

And as for the stiffness, if the neck is thick enough, isn't it going to be stiff enough to not deflect under tension

I don't mean to be negative about it or anything, I just tend to have my doubts about graphite being able to improve a nice thick neck made from good maple; I can certainly see how it would be nice in a bass guitar neck though!
If you ever experienced the exact same bass before and after having the Graphite rod/s put in you might have a different viewpoint.

Several of my Double basses that now have CF graphite rods in them didn't before and now they do. Making or leaving a neck thicker or too thick to play comfortably just to keep it strong is the not the way to go in my opinion.

There is more than one kind and one grade within each method of making these rods. There is also more then one way to install them. Not all Graphite is created equal. Not all neck mods with graphite are equal between luthiers either.

I discuss the method of putting the Rods in with the few lutheirs that do this and on my basses, they are done just about the same way I would do it.

I prefer the Graphite rods in all my new or restored necks and I have had quite a few pass thru my inventory in the last few years.

On what's best for shock when you bang your bass, nothing. Don't bang the bass!