View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben E garcia View Post
Thank you for the feedback.... I got a question and this applies to SP patch and all...
I read that to get a good bounding you need to let the cleat sit on the top from one minute till the hide glue gel, and the using a hair dryer heat the glue again and then apply pressure to it...

Or I should just apply pressure to the cleat as fast as I can and clamp with good pressure, not too much but firm..
Yes, just glue it and clamp it. Don't worry about applying too much clamp pressure. Fine Woodworking had a great article a few years ago where they tested joints put together with varying amounts of clamp pressure, and different glues. What they discovered to everyone's surprise, is that there is no such thing as a "starved" glue joint. The high-pressure joints, though they squeezed out more of the glue, were actually stronger.

When you get ready to glue in your soundpost patch, make sure you size the wood of the bass top and the patch with thin hide glue, because there will be considerable end grain revealed. Without sizing, the glue will soak into the endgrain too much and the joint will eventually come apart. Also, if you are not using a counter form on the opposite side, you will need a lot of clamps, and you'll need to apply them quickly. Gluing down temporary cleats around the soundpost patch will keep it from sliding around when it's full of slippery glue.