View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pope View Post
Ken, with all due respect, I think it is futile for you, personally, to decide on one bass. You will feel neglected after awhile if you can't take one of your stock out for a joyride occasionally.

I think you derive as much enjoyment out of the study of the diversity of the instruments and working on them as actually playing them.

I say this out of respect, because I'm the same way with electric guitars an basses. Over the years, I not only found it difficult to settle on one "stage" instrument, but I have about as much fun tinkering with them, helping my friends and colleagues get the best tone for them from working on their setups and electronics, and experimentation in general. Even RIC let me post some wiring variations on their factory website that have proven quite popular!!!

Ken, if you were gunning for principal of even a regional symphony, I'd take their advise completely: pick one, get used to its good points, bad points, quirks and ideosyncracies and all, bury yourself in it, and come out the other end of the tunnel ready for any audition anywhere. But you're not. You're having too much fun with your toys. I appreciate that. I'd love to be there myself. I have been in other contexts. I enjoy your discussions and digressions as you post your impressions of various instruments, how they are set up and strung, what gigs you're using them on, etc.

Have fun with your toys!!! Happy Holidays!
What would you define as a regional Symphony?

I ask because I happen to actually be a Principal in one Orchestra and I share the Principal duties with another. Both orchestras pay per service. The main one is an all-paid Orchestra. The other is not but all of the Basses are hired in the 2nd Orchestra. In the last concert with 6 Cellos and 4 Basses, 8 of 10 players were hired, myself included.

There are the major symphonies and then the not so major but full time orchestras around the country. Currently I think it's only about 20 or so services a year in the main orchestra where I am and have been Principal for several years. The other Orchestra actually has a bigger season but most players are just within the community.

Switching basses makes it difficult to play in tune for the most part as they vary greatly in the String length and body size, sometimes making even an average mensur difficult to handle. If I had to make my living at this now like I did in the past, it would be more important but, if I played out of tune due to using just any bass any night, then perhaps I wouldn't be one of the paid players (ringers they call us) on the concerts nor would I be Principal in an orchestra that about once a year, I have some sort of solo in.

As far as the occasional joy ride with one of the other basses, I do that as well. Like I mentioned, I do take out almost all of my basses at one time or another but playing in an Orchestra, you always have music to practice year round. That is why you need one main bass to know where all the notes are and keep it consistent. This advice came from players that have played in major symphony orchestras. In a section of players, it is even harder than playing alone because we all have to be in sync as well as be in tune.

Thanks for your comments and enjoy the holidays.

Hey, should we talk about picking just one 'main' Bow as well?