View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool and...

Amongst the Great English Basses, I am compelled to add this one to the list, aka 'The Mystery Bass'.

Just about everyone now (not all) have either said it's English or 'agreed' it's English. The difference between 'said' and 'agreed' is "THAT'S an English Bass!"(said) or "Yes, I agree, it looks English"(agreed). The Mystery as far as Origin, has come to a close. Period wise, I am still not 100% sure but I think we are close. Maker wise, your guess is as good as mine for the moment.

As far as using the word 'Great' next to this Bass, it comes only with comparisons of other Basses that are agreed as being 'great' sounding.
I place this Bass sound-wise between my former Dodd and my attributed Storioni which is currently in restoration. It sounds at least as good if not better than the Dodd and not quite as sweet as the Storioni. That opinion comes only a few days after it was strung up for the first time in at least 30-50 years if not more. From looking at the Bridge that came with the Bass as well as the size and shape of the BassBar, this Bass has never seen a steel string before as the Bridge was cut for Gut.

Add this Bass to the Gallery of the Greats.. please!