View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool nice bass..

First off, on the Morelli, I have a section just for that here. Morelli is a brand that was made in Germany and labeled here, sometimes stamped there. I don't think any of them were ever dated.

On this big boy, I think this is just as described to me by Michael Krahmer (Pollmann) at this past ISB. On the Backs of these old Mittenwald Basses, 2 bars at the bottom, one center and two upper, exactly as your bass shows. The Klotz family was still active I believe into 1800.

May I suggest you send these pics to Pollmann as well and ask Michael what he think of it. He looked at my bass and thought it was Cut. I was told previously that it was wear and not cut. I thought personally that the Bouts were cut slightly. He thinks the bottom and lower corners were cut possibly as well. He has a good eye and knows his past native bass makers.

The upper bouts of your bass are also a bit uneven. That's another possible sign of being cut. The fact that the treble side of the upper bout front and back are sloped slightly more is also a sign that the bass was cut the play the upper positions. Something that was not in vogue when the bass was first made.

I know I mentioned some northern Italian flavor but the Italians have also used a little German flavor from time to time. 3 Italian Basses I currently own (c.1800s, 1919 and 1936) were all made with 'hidden' dovetail neck joints. Unlike the German style in which the the Necks appear to sit on top of the block and then dovetailed into the block, sometimes obviously, the Italians are set in with the Top covering the joint. Only if the Top or back is removed can you see that it is dovetailed.

On my Italians, 2 of 3 have been changed to a mortise joint in restoration ad the 3rd will be as well. My Big Bass had a dovetail as well but the neck was not original to the block. On one of my Italians, the Neck was secondary as well and still dovetail. The Dovetail has been used everywhere at one time or another so that in itself is not a definite sign of origin. I assume personally that the dovetail came from cabinet making and many makers of basses did as well. Not all bass makers were trained violin makers either. Also, some trained makers may have believed the dovetail was better with the neck itself extending along the back behind the block as well. That style I was told is Mittenwald, old school like Klotz. M.Klotz the eldest Mittenwald maker trained with a Fussen maker that had settled in Padua Italy. Maybe we are looking at modified Fussen school when we look at Mittenwald. I have seen only one Fussen Bass that was very old, maybe 17th century and it easily passed for Italian. Fussen may be the birth place of the blockless bass as well.

We spend so much time rather the violin and bass world on studying the Italians, French and English that the souther German and Tirol makers rarely get a mention. Maybe this is because their better work has passed as Italian in the trade!