Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > French Bass School

Old 07-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

How do you like the new camera?

Old 07-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
How do you like the new camera?
Haven't used it yet. The video card (?) just came in and am waiting for my son Mike to get it set-up n show me how to work it. Not sure I have all the right cables for downloading either. Also, he bought a tri-pod which will help cut down on blurry shots.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Posting Member

Drake Chan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Haven't used it yet. The video card (?) just came in and am waiting for my son Mike to get it set-up n show me how to work it. Not sure I have all the right cables for downloading either. Also, he bought a tri-pod which will help cut down on blurry shots.
I would also reduce the use of flash on your pictures - it produces that annoying glare that prevents us from seeing your basses' true patina. I like your older pictures because they didn't use flash.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Chan View Post
I would also reduce the use of flash on your pictures - it produces that annoying glare that prevents us from seeing your basses' true patina. I like your older pictures because they didn't use flash.
I will pass this along to Mike. We don't always use flash but some pictures are taken at night without any sunlight coming thru the window across the room. Without the flash, the pics are too dark. We do them both ways, with and without in that case.

Also, those that are interested in buying basses like this come by and play them. Our product is not an on-line picture book so this is the first complaint I have heard on the flash. Some of the basses with round-backs or shiny varnish are hard to capture without glare in spots, even without the flash.

The pictures are just basic examples of what they look like. You really have to play them to get the full value of the bass. I would say pics, 2%, playing, 98%..
Old 07-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

Having visited Ken's shop, played, and listened to Ken play, several of his basses I would say that the photos capture more like .001% of his collection's magic...

Definitely worth a trip.

It is sort of the opposite of some things, where the marketing "buzz" and the photos are the best part...

Last edited by Eric Swanson; 07-04-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb new pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
Having visited Ken's shop, played, and listened to Ken play, several of his basses, I would say that the photos capture more like .001% of his collection's magic...

Definitely worth a trip.

It is sort of the opposite of some things, where the marketing "buzz" and the photos are the best part...
Mike and I took new pics yesterday with the new camera. We tried both flash and not flash, midday with the sun thru the back window and against the white wall instead of the mahogany door that we have used for the past several years. I prefer the door and Mike prefers the wall. The Camera does focus and mix color with the wall but I feel I can tell the contrast better by looking at the door color in the shot. Still, we used a plain white wall in the background.

Maybe in a day or so we will get the page up and published. We still have to do the Scroll thumbnail on the price tier page. It will be in the upper range page of the basses opposite the William Tarr Bass which we shot yesterday as well. I still have some page work to do on the Tarr so we will load them both together.

So, pics are coming so be patient.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Arrow ok..

Here's the Link to the new Claudot page;
http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/claudot/