Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2010, 01:26 AM
Posting Member

Brian Glassman is on a distinguished road
Question Integral bass bar; lose it or use it?

One of my basses is a very nice sounding carved German shop bass from about the 1920's or so (I'll try to post pics). Probably made for the student trade in it's day, but now days it's a nice carved old bass.

It was my main instrument for many years of pro use. Now it is my "B" bass since acquiring my Prescott in '03, but I use it quite often.

Outside of some rib patch/repair issues that Arnold has said may or may not need attention in years to come, it is very healthy w/ a carbon graphite rod, new fingerboard and tuners installed in '07. W/ these upgrades it sounds great, but it has an integral bass bar and I've often wondered if a new bass bar would make this really nice bass responding/sounding bass into a great responding/sounding bass. Of course it would require the top to be removed and then the (not immediate) rib issue could be addressed at the same time.
Not sure if the benefits or quality of the instrument would warrant the cost of this kind of upgrade. Comments?

Last edited by Brian Glassman; 09-20-2010 at 02:29 AM.