Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 09-09-2008, 12:35 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question To Cut, or Not to Cut? (TB Save)

On 7/4/06 I authored a Thread on TalkBass titled "To Cut, or Not to Cut. That is the Question". In order to protect the contents of this subject in the event it gets deleted from TB, I would like to basically copy MY posts over to here for viewing and discussion. The Blue "hyper text' above will link you over to the original TB Thread as long as it's there.

This Thread is about the restoration of my Mystery Bass and has been discussed quite a bit as well. I copied over my TB thread about the Bass some time ago but didn't bring this text over. Although it's basically old news to me and many others I think people who haven't read this might enjoy going thru the motions as I have over the last 4 years.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
In March of 2004 I made a Thread about a new Bass I had just bought titled "Name That Bass". It was a complete mystery and was dubbed the 'Mystery Bass'. At that time I had two Basses that I used but was looking for a fine Olde Orchestral Bass to settle down with. That was before I started buying other Basses and selling them off after restoration and a few concerts to sample the goods so to speak while I wait for my 'Holy Grail'.

Old Thread here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118707

The Mystery Bass is now on its final leg of work before the re-assembly starts. The Top and Back have been off and the Ribs are in 5 sections with the upper Bouts still attached to the Neck Block. All the Blocks are still intact glued to one of the Rib pieces. The Top, Back and most of the Ribs are done as far as all the cracks go. The Bass Bar and Back X-brace will stay as is because it's looks just fine.

Now for the question. When I bought this, it was to become my main Bass so playability was a major factor for me. I discussed this with my old friend, fellow Bassist, long time repairman/restorer and mentor, Paul Biase. The String length when I bought the Bass was close to 44" and I was looking for 42" maximum. We discussed either cutting the shoulders/upper bouts of both the Top and Back, re-shaping them and then restoring the Purfling on the Top or maybe cutting the Ribs at the upper Bout/corner block, sliding them down on the corner blocks and trimming the Top and Back around the new lowered shape and then restore the Purfling on the Top as the Back is un-purfled (those lazy English!).

This plan has been on the table for over 2 years now but many things have happened since then that is now giving me second thoughts. First, I recieved a large German Bass in trade awhile back that had a similar String length. I brought it to Arnold and he suggested a 'Block cut' as he called it. The Top and Back came off for other repairs so he made a new Neck Block, Set the Neck Lower in the Block and then trimmed the Top & Back in the Block area just slightly as well as giving it some added neck-stand to play over the shoulders. He got the String Length from 43 7/8ths to 42 3/8ths. That's 1 1/2" less without cutting the Bass. Before; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/Double...relliBass2.htm
After; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/Double...orelliBass.htm

I used this Bass for a few concerts and even did Beethoven's 5th fingering all the moving low notes on the extension. It was tiring but rewarding.

Arnold was also able to reduce the String length on a full sized Prescott I bought (and since sold) but that was mostly due to the neck graft being a D-neck from an Eb-neck. We also cheated the Bridge a little as well as on the Morelli.

One day I was in Arnold's shop and he gave me a huge Italian Bass to try. I played it and got around kinda ok. He said "you just played a 44" String Length". I was surprised but after taking a second look, I saw that the numbers were in my head a little as well, more than in my fingers!

The point of this Thread is to Poll opinions with discussion as to (1) Leave the Bass with it's shoulders as-is and do the 'Block Cut', D-neck graft (already planned) and cheat the Bridge up a bit, (2) Cut it as planned or (3) Do nothing and play it as a 44" and possibly cripple myself over time..lol

Your thoughts please Ladies, Gentleman, Luthiers and Luthierettes.......

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/Double..._that_bass.htm
Old 09-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool new to DB.. (7/06)

Quote:
Member Question; Sorry Ken, I'm not a luthier, and only very new to DB. But I've been repairing old and new watches for 30 years. One thing I have learned is, you can remove material much easier than you can put it back on.
That's fine and thanks for your point of view. I am very aware of that but I have seen more old Basses cut and modified to be used in Orchestras than I have seen Basses in their original form. It's a fact of life with this big Basses and I think they have been cutting them since at least the 19th century if not before. Several of the Basses I have owned were cut when I got them so I am no stranger to a modified Bass for easier playability.

The main question here is should I go slightly over 42" or even to 43" and let well enough alone? This way I could slightly modify and adjust the length and still hear the full air volume and tone of the Bass. I bought it unplayable so I have no idea what this Bass can do. It's all been speculation up to now.

Thank's for your reply.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Look after Cut? (7/06)

Quote:
Member Question; Ken, that mystery bass has a lovely channel around the upper bout. How would that look once it has been cut into?

The deep-set neck sounds like a reversible change, but the cut-down is permanent. My conservative side says - the bass probably has a pedigree, even if unknown, so don't change it irreversibly. Leave the table intact and yeah, cheat the bridge a bit!

Can you post some pix of the back bracing?

The shoulders would look almost the same up at the neck but the edges will loose their curve after they would be trimmed to match the shape of the Ribs. The plan was to cut the Ribs about 2" or less from the corner block area of the upper bout and re-attach the Ribs to the upper Corner block. Then re-trim the Top and Back to match so the upper bout would then be shorter making the string length shorter. With the 'Block Cut' the Ribs might be trimmed about 1/2" up at the Neck and a deeper Neck-set into the Block (or new neck block if needed) would be done. The Back Neck Button would get the most trimming with this method. Cheating the Bridge will only help about 1/2" in the String length. I don't remember if the Bass had a D or Eb neck when I estimated the old string length but it will be a D-Neck. I bought a beautiful piece of Maple with matching curl to the Back about 2 years ago. The gears going in the Bass are English made Baker style but on the modern side.

On the Back Braces, I don't have any Pics now but I will get some next time I am in NY hopefully before the Top goes on. The original lower crossbars were twin rails about 1cm wide and spaced about 2cms apart. The scars of this early gamba style bracing are still visible. I guess the maker thought this would be stronger and lighter for the over 29" (originally) wide lower bout. The Purfling runs off both the upper and lower bouts showing about 1/2" of trimming the width per side was done at some point. I don't know how tall those rails were but at least as tall as the were wide if not more.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:44 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Neck Block.. (7/06)

Quote:
Member Question; were you intending to replace the neck block entirely?
We don't know yet if it is even usable. It is not the original from what we can tell. Actually the Bass had a small piece of Maple left in the back like a Tab from a blockless Bass so this could have been Blockless and with the smaller notch in the top, a previous restorer so fit to do a dovetail neckblock. Just speculation as we don't know what went on exactly in the last 200 years with this beast. A new Block will be no more disturbing than replacing the lining where needed. It's just a utility piece of wood. Both my Morelli and Prescott got new Blocks during their restoration so it's no big deal. It gets what it needs.

String length is an issue mainly due to playability. The measurement from the Bridge to the Neck is way long. Getting over shoulders is one thing but reaching the end of the fingerboard is another. This Bass will be set-up as a full sized Orchestral Bass and not at all intended for solo work. It's a 'sit back and enjoy the ride' type of Bass in my eyes.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Usage.. (7/06)

Quote:
Member Question; The string length is only a huge deal in the bottom few positions, as the 'box' of a full step multiplied against string crossings can get big, so what can be done is to tighten up the string spacing just a bit and the long string is again playable. By the 2nd position or so the difference between 42" and 43" is almost unnoticeable.
I am not 100% sure of all the types of gigs you play but when you are playing Cello parts in Mozart and Beethovan pieces, String length is a Huge factor. I had a bit of trouble playing the 5th with the Morelli as it required alot of stretching and pivoting. Intonation was on the fence being so exposed in the solo sections with the Cellos. My Bass was almost 2x as loud as anyone else in the section as well. This will be an Orchestral Bass only for me and playing some of the great Symphonies is tough enough with a 41 1/2" string length let alone anything way bigger. The Shoulders?, that's another issue. In classical pieces we go up to C and D fairly often in the thumb position and occassionally higher. I just want the Bass in the best possible playing condition and size so it stays in use and not in a basement or attic again like it did most of last century due to its unwiedly size.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Block Cut... (7/06)

Quote:
Member Question; I wasn't thinking of conserving the neck block, more of the potential of reshaping a new one so that for example the ribs could almost be let into the block like some self-neck basses. In other words, the ribs would not sweep upwards towards the heel, more rounded, a bit like your Dodd. I am thinking that this could allow you to set the neck much deeper while retaining the heel projection and most of the outline of the front plate. does that make sense?
The Block has to be lower into the bass by about 1/2" and big enough to set the neck in deeper. Currently the Bass is modified from and English Gamba style "Neck-thru" blockless type as so described in the Book 'The Brittish Violin'. The book shows an 18th century Violin made like this.

This is the Morelli before the block-cut, http://www.kensmithbasses.com/Double...s/fullback.jpg
http://www.kensmithbasses.com/Double...es/pufling.JPG

And this is it after the cut, http://www.kensmithbasses.com/Double...images/693.jpg
http://www.kensmithbasses.com/Double...images/688.jpg
http://www.kensmithbasses.com/Double...images/705.jpg
http://www.kensmithbasses.com/Double...images/692.jpg

The Block area would be flatter than before with wide Ebony strips covering the top view of the Block that the Ribs do not cover as seen in the 'after' photos. The Ribs will be cut back just a bit to allow for this lower set block. Currently the Neck just sits up on the Ribs with only a Dovetail going into the shallow block.

If I can, I will go into NY soon and take some pics while the Bass is still apart. I wish I had done this before any work was started when it first came apart just for comparison purposes.