Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > Italian Bass School

Old 04-18-2014, 11:46 AM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano Senni View Post
I was excited about it, but then her brother wanted to keep the bass in the family to honor their dad's memory.... Maybe sooner or later they will change their mind and I will have my Marcucci as well ! ... So far it's just a shame that such a bass doesn't get played and keeps deteriorating year after year ....
Why don't you tell them that to honor their father's memory, you will play the bass and be responsible for it's preservation and tell the story of how you received it at your performances. When you no longer wish to play it, you will then return it to the family.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb or..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
Why don't you tell them that to honor their father's memory, you will play the bass and be responsible for it's preservation and tell the story of how you received it at your performances. When you no longer wish to play it, you will then return it to the family.
Better yet, sent it to me to be with its Twin to be played with a Bow and also get a well deserved "Smith Style Plays Like Butter FULL Restoration"!

I have seen a few of them and they seem to vary in size. The build style is quite similar looking on all of the ones I have seen.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool My first Classical concert with the Marcucci..

I have my first Classical concert with the Marcucci tomorrow and the program is tough.

Carl Nielson: Helios Overture, Op. 17
Saint- Saens: Violin Concerto No. 3 in B minor, Op. 61
Nancy Bean, Violin (Philly Orch.)

Jean Sibelius: Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op. 43

There are some very tough parts on all 3 pieces, especially the end of the Violin concerto, B major, 5 sharps.. Been shedding that for a few days. and the Helios has a tough section as well. The problem is that we only have 4 basses and for this sized orchestra, we need 6. I am a sub there when they need an extra player as 2 of the other guys in the section can't make it.

The other thing to mention is getting comfortable with a new bass. The endpin height. I am most comfortable with the endpin all the way in, on the floor. This way I can get close to the bass and reach into TP as needed and this program does have a few upper notes in it.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:27 PM
Junior Posting Member

David McLaughlin is on a distinguished road

Good luck! Wish I could hear the performance. Please give us a follow up report on how everything went.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:48 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up back from the gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McLaughlin View Post
Good luck! Wish I could hear the performance. Please give us a follow up report on how everything went.
It all went well. The Marcucci bass was great and I also played fairly well. I have another concert this coming Saturday with a completely different type of program. Same bass, different orchestra, different bass section, different music. I will play first chair here as opposed to 4th like today as I was filling in as a sub. I had a rehearsal this evening for next weeks concert right after today's concert so I had a double header. No playing fatigue at all. That's a good sign!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:30 AM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

Very cool. I love Sibelius 2nd, especially. That part where the basses are playing a solo in unison, then split into doing contrary motion always gives me goosebumps.

What strings do I see in the photos? Are they Belcanti on the A, D, G, with a long Spirocore B?

Good luck with the next show!

Old 04-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb the strings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
Very cool. I love Sibelius 2nd, especially. That part where the basses are playing a solo in unison, then split into doing contrary motion always gives me goosebumps.

What strings do I see in the photos? Are they Belcanti on the A, D, G, with a long Spirocore B?

Good luck with the next show!
3 Bel's and a Flex 92 STARK E/C.